Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Mileage Account Hold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Yes it will.
And your source or basis for this belief is...?

If the OP's misdeed is as presented, it is quite straightforward. Its resolution will be likewise.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
In my book, AA and UA are pretty fungible.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in or near Chicago but not from MIA.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have not nor do I know anyone who has done this. The thought just occurred to me since so many people say "I have so many miles I don't know what to do with them".

I wish I had that problem.

I thought it would be a win/win for the company and employee, but I see that it is not.

However, this thread has brought up a question for me that I might be doing...if I do give free tickets with my miles to my married daughter and sil (hence different last name), I know that is OK, but will it cause problems because of the name issue? They will be UA tickets, if that matters.
I have no idea about UA - probably best to ask on the UA forum. I can say that I often use my miles to book tickets for various family members who have a variety of last names. I have never once had a problem - nor have they.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
And your source or basis for this belief is...?
Read my post again for the relevant bit from the original post in this thread that clarifies that there will be documents to sign as a part of this investigation.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:57 pm

Read my post again for the relevant bit from the original post in this thread that clarifies that there will be documents to sign as a part of this investigation.
You assume that AA's actions are exactly as described by the OP. I'm not willing to submit to that since the experience of others indicates otherwise.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
:)

If you think that the OP is some story that was made up for entertainment value, I bet you LOVE OMNI/PR
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:11 pm

If you think that the OP is some story that was made up for entertainment value, I bet you LOVE OMNI/PR
1. All I know is that the OP is not the entire story. Determining its factual content is up to the reader.

2. I don't frequent OMNI.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Is it just as illegal/wrong to use the miles for another business trip and have your company give you the cash that they would have paid for the ticket?
Originally Posted by JumboD
But the scenario you responded to would be illegal if the traveler in question didn't report that $ on their tax returns. Similar scenario to what the NBA refs got busted for.

As to that traveler being ethically compromised, that all depends: Was the employer paying for the ticket aware? If a ticket costs $1k, and someone says "If you give me $500 cash, I'll book the ticket with my miles" and it's all done on the up-and-up with the employer, I don't see anything wrong with that besides a violation of airline T&C.
Originally Posted by Mark_T
In the current climate it might be unwise to remind some corporate travel departments that you have a stack of miles earned on company paid for flights that could be used to ticket other business trips ...

Tax implications alone would prevent most companies from even considering reimbursing a traveller for using miles I'd have thought. Nobody in their right minds would open the door quite that wide for the IRS.
This scenario isn't about AAdvantage. After all, the company has the right to assert ownership of business-paid earned miles, if it so chooses. Most don't (and the regulations let the employee keep those miles, tax free).

There is no way a payment to the employee for a "would-have" fare on a mileage ticket would count as a reimbursed employee expense. As pointed out, that would be no different functionally from the sports refs who were given F tickets but refunded those F tickets for Y ones and pocketed the cash. The pocketed cash was compensation, period, and the IRS cracked down hard. This situation would be functionally indistinguishable from refunding a Y ticket and using a mileage one (since the employer has already abandoned its claim to those miles, they are the employee's alone).

Back to the OP--- if you read the extensive threads on the topic, most folks with frozen accounts are "small fish"; AA wants the big fish-- broker/dealers. Give them the rope they need to net the bigger fish, by cooperating, and the small fry get released in due course.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
OP, is something liked this what you received from AA?

Dear olcy310
During a recent audit of your account, violation(s) of AAdvantage program rules were identified.
On a separate page please include the following information. Please remember to sign and date your statement.
■ Your name, address and telephone number as well as AAdvantage number.
■ How did you learn about this company (newspaper, associate, friend, or internet website).
■ The number of awards or incentive upgrades sold.
■ Name of company and/or name of person you dealt with.
■ Amount of money you received and form of payment (check, cash, etc.).
■ Did you provide this company with a copy of your summary?
■ Who called American Airlines to book the passenger reservation?
■ Who called American Airlines to request the award?
■ Who paid the expedite fee? (If applicable)
■ Did you have any other conversations with the company regarding the sale?
■ Did this company provide you with or advise you to give false or misleading information if questioned by an American Airlines representative?
■ Did this company tell you it was a violation of airline rules to buy or sell AAdvantage awards?
■ Do you possess any documents from the company? (Business cards, checks, ads, faxes, or expedite packages.)
We ask that you return this completed form as soon as possible to the address below. Unfortunately, your account will be on administrative hold pending the information.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Give them all of the information you have and explain why you don't have other of the requested information. Also, the name of the level is "Executive Platinum". That part makes me a bit suspicious. You have that level for years, it is on the boarding pass, account information, the card you get every year, and on your luggage tages. That said, it might be an honest mistake, due to your nervousness at the potential loss of status, miles, and SWUs. Good luck.... but don't try to hide anything. It was an interesting choice of words to first say AA accused you of selling miles rather than to say AA caught you selling miles. I also find it interesting that you were not aware this was a violation of the rules.

Again, give all of the information you have. It wouldn't surprise me if they have an interest in the other people you have gotten tickets for, and their future award obtainment might also cause the other people they get them from to be investigated. I guarantee they aren't just looking at one transaction.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TigerWould
Without a statement from the passenger you sold the award to, AA has no case against you. My guess is the passenger alerted AA after their trip was completed or your not telling all the facts relevant to your issue.
Wouldn't that depend on how easy the seller is to trace from the CL ad? ... Though I still have suspicions about this thread, but only because someone called it "Platinum Executive" after having been one for the past seven years. Well that, and not knowing it was a rules violation to sell awards... How does the OP know the women completed her trip, if he had no further contact with her.
She might have had a change a plans or an irrop occured or she got cold feet, etc

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 28, 2009 at 1:19 am
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I don't know the meaning of "too many miles" in one's account.

I'm happy having them there for nearly free tickets for many years to come.

Instead of doing a week vacation by driving to the beach, fly international upper class to another beach, and more interesting sightseeing, each year.

If it's a truly disgusting amount of miles you need to consume, offer to take some relatives with you -- shoot up to become the favorite grandpa/ dad/ uncle/ cousin in your extended family.

Even seeing places you have been many times before with family/friends who have never been before let's you see the place again with new eyes.

Steve
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

I had to discontinue my posting due to my flight departure.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TigerWould
Without a statement from the passenger you sold the award to, AA has no case against you. My guess is the passenger alerted AA after their trip was completed or your not telling all the facts relevant to your issue.
It's not a legal proceeding, as has been noted many times here. They don't need to "prove a case."

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
That thread has some of the best advice (provided by one of the this boards most knowledgable "former members") on the topic at hand.

Certainly much more useful than the information being presented by some of the experts we observe at work here.

mike
Exactly. The information provided in that thread by JonNYC should be treated as the most accurate and reliable information you're going to find on the subject. It also matches much of what has been said here- just cooperate. Trust that said information is based on real experiences with real resolutions. All of the interpretation about lawyers, the IRS and "burdens of proof" are pretty much irrelevant compared to said information. Following what was said there (and anything here that matches) is the best course for the OP.

For a briefer, more fact-dense and to-the-point treatment of this topic, read here

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2508

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Sep 28, 2009 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.