FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   American Airlines Mileage Account Hold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/999409-american-airlines-mileage-account-hold.html)

olcy310 Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm

American Airlines Mileage Account Hold

Hi to this forum -
I am new here, but I have been reading the boards for about 2 weeks, and finally just signed up for an account. The reason I'm posting is because about 2 weeks ago, I got an email from American Airlines putting my account on hold and they are accusing me of selling miles! I fly them all the time, and I'm a very good customer, I've been Platinum Executive for the last 7 years straight and even have more than a million miles! Most of the miles I've given away as birthday gifts to friends and family; since I travel so much already, I don't really need the miles. But recently, since I had so many, I sold a ticket to someone from Craigslist. She already completed her flight and it was fine with no issues.

I've been reading on this board and trying to get lots of information. I know everyone is very judgmental, so after I get through the first 50 replies of everyone condemning my behavior (which I am sorry for, and I didn't even know it was wrong), would it be possible to get any advice on how to handle the situation.

They want me to send all these receipts and copies of ads etc. I don't have any of that. I just met the lady, she paid me in cash and that was it. They are threatening to cancel my entire account if I don't cooperate. They want an affadavit and all this stuff. I'm so confused, and could use any advice from anyone here.

If you've had an experience like this or anything, please share what you can, or free to send me a private note as I would really appreciate your help. It sucks because in the meanwhile, I needed to book a bunch of tickets overseas, so I had my admin book me on United, which is fine, but I don't have status with them, and I know it sucks to be a non status passenger these days.

videomaker Sep 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by olcy310 (Post 12446376)
They are threatening to cancel my entire account if I don't cooperate.

If you've flown that much, it's a little difficult to believe you did not know selling a mileage ticket was against AA's terms and conditions. But too late for that.

Right now, your statement above is the key. If you don't come clean, plan on losing all your miles. Your best hope is cooperating and giving them honest answers to the best of your ability and hoping for the best.

HNL Sep 27, 2009 3:04 pm

... The reason I'm posting is because about 2 weeks ago, I got an email from American Airlines putting my account on hold and they are accusing me of selling miles!

In one breath you make it seem like you did not sell miles.

Then there's this...

...But recently, since I had so many, I sold a ticket to someone from Craigslist.

At the end of the day you sold your miles. Your only option at this point is to cooperate 110% and be exceptionally honest with the AA investigator(s) and promise to never do this again.

dayone Sep 27, 2009 3:05 pm

As has been said many times before, there is only one course of action: Tell the truth, tell AA everything it wants to know, apologize and hope for a light sanction.

GUWonder Sep 27, 2009 3:27 pm

If AA's quest for additional info is satisfied, the offending party might not lose all he/she had with AA; however, AA will probably take its pound of flesh in some way.

If AA gets the drift that the offending party is not coming clean about their past activity, consider the entire value of the AAdvantage account as probably being as good as gone.

Ready2Go Sep 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 12446399)
If you don't come clean, plan on losing all your miles.

"Come clean," of course, means you must assume they already know everything. Assume the woman who bought the ticket from you was a plant, and/or that she has already detailed all her communications with you. Assume they have a list of everyone else for whom you have ever redeemed a ticket, and that they may already have contacted these people to find out how they know you. Etc. Be completely honest, be apologetic and don't try to justify your actions, and hope that they will decide they want to keep your business.

MtStream Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

I wonder how much this effort is AA being upset about how the miles were used and how much is the airlines trying to keep their FF programs out of the IRS crosshairs?

JDiver Sep 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Be fully cooperative and beg for mercy

Welcome to FlyerTalk! I'm sorry you joined under such difficult circumstances - some tenure here and you would know what you did is seriously frowned upon by AA and possibly would have avoided any impropriety. (I have given, with no strings attached, trips and upgrades to a number of friends and family over the years - never had a problem at all.)

If indeed your only offense is one single and already consummated sale to a woman you met via Craig's List, my advice is to be entirely forthcoming and cooperative in every way (and remorseful) with AAdvantage Auditing.

They actively audit sites like Craigslist, eBay, and even here, as well as account information and movement, and are very familiar with people who sell miles, SWU/eVIPs, their firstborn, etc. so they may be skeptical about your claim this is your singular offense, as may also be some of us.

Literally throwing yourself at their mercy may allow you to retain part of your miles trove and status. Obfuscation or noncooperation may cause you to lose "more than a million miles!", Executive Platinum and lifetime Platinum status. :eek:

Check the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, which in small part say:

"You are responsible for reading the AAdvantage Program Terms and Conditions, additional member information, AAdvantage newsletter/s and account summaries online at AA.com in order to understand your rights, responsibilities, and status under the AAdvantage program. American Airlines may amend its rules of the Program at any time without notice." (They expect you to know the rules.)

"At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold or bartered. Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorneys fees incurred in enforcing this rule." (You and she are in hot sheep dip.)

"Use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase or for any other consideration may result in the tickets being confiscated or the passenger being denied boarding. If a trip has been started, any continued travel will be at the passenger's expense on a full-fare basis. The passenger and member may also be liable to American Airlines for the cost of a full fare ticket for any segments flown on a sold or bartered ticket." (Your purchaser is still not in the clear, even if her trip is completed.)

"Fraud, misrepresentation, abuse or violation of applicable rules (including, but not limited to, American or American Eagle conditions of carriage, tariffs and AAdvantage program rules) is subject to appropriate administrative and/or legal action by appropriate governmental authorities and American Airlines. Such action may include, without limitation, the forfeiture of all award tickets, and any accrued mileage in a member's account, as well as cancellation of the account and the member's future participation in the AAdvantage program. In addition, American Airlines reserves the right to take appropriate legal action to recover damages, including its attorney fees incurred in prosecuting any lawsuit." (Harsh - you could lose it all!)

"American Airlines reserves the right to audit any and all accounts at any time and without notice to the member to ensure compliance with AAdvantage program rules and applicable conditions of carriage and/or tariffs. In the event that an audit reveals discrepancies or violations, the processing of AAdvantage awards, mileage accrual and summaries may be delayed until the discrepancies or violations are resolved satisfactorily to American Airlines. Pending such resolution, members may be prohibited from redeeming mileage credits for an AAdvantage award or ticket as determined in American's sole discretion." (Your account has been frozen and will remain so until they have been satisfied and decide what they will allow.)

> they are accusing me of selling miles!
> I fly them all the time, and I'm a very good customer,
> I've been Platinum Executive for the last 7 years straight
> and even have more than a million miles!
> Most of the miles I've given away as birthday gifts to friends and family;
> since I travel so much already, I don't really need the miles.
> But recently, since I had so many,
> I sold a ticket to someone from Craigslist.
> She already completed her flight and it was fine with no issues.

Eujeanie Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

No judgement, just a question for all you road warriors out there who have so many miles you don't know what to do with them, since most of your travel is business.

Is it just as illegal/wrong to use the miles for another business trip and have your company give you the cash that they would have paid for the ticket?

tom911 Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

I needed to book a bunch of tickets overseas, so I had my admin book me on United, which is fine, but I don't have status with them

UA will comp you Premier Exec status if you're an EXP. You have to fly 15,000 miles within 90 days to retain it. HERE is a thread on the UA forum from this week (there's many others).

JumboD Sep 27, 2009 4:05 pm

I understand the whole "rules are rules" argument, however I'd be cautious when dealing with the investigators and consult an attorney before signing anything. If AA involves their legal department, you should too.

At the end of the day, if this was your only offense, AA would be foolish to penalize you, if you fly as much as you say, over it. Do you fly on paid premium cabin fares?

And, at the end of the day, they do make the rules, but there's no reason their T&C can't be challenged.

So, while I agree you shouldn't lie to or avoid the investigators, throwing yourself at their mercy and being thankful for any penalty the impose short of revoking all your miles is equally foolish. They stand to lose a lot as well if you choose not to continue your relationship with them. In fact, since you don't really use the miles, they stand to lose a lot more than you. YMMV.

Steve M Sep 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 12446565)
Is it just as illegal/wrong to use the miles for another business trip and have your company give you the cash that they would have paid for the ticket?

I had never thought of this in the context of this thread - it's an excellent question! I'm not sure I have an opinion, other than it would be nearly impossible for such activity to ever cause problems with AAdvantage. Why would they ever even start to look into award tickets issued to and used by the AAdvantage member themselves?

olcy310 Sep 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice so far. It's just frustrating, and knowing that it's my own fault, and that I broke the terms frustrates me to no end. It seemed harmless at the time, but I guess I was wrong.

The only part I get nervous about is being honest about it. Someone quoted the part where they could come after me for the full value of a ticket, plus attorney fees. I think the ticket I sold is probably expensive - it was First Class international - aren't those like $10,000 normally? So if I come clean, couldn't AA slap me with a bill? That's the part that makes me the most hesitant.

I really want to save my account, and I'll never ever ever do this again, I won't even gift miles, as it could look funny. But I'm scared to admit to anything because I don't want a 10,000 bill!

ContinentalFan Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi to this forum -
I am new here, but I have been reading the boards for about 2 weeks, and finally just signed up for an account. The reason I'm posting is because about 2 weeks ago, I got an email from American Airlines putting my account on hold and they are accusing me of selling miles! I fly them all the time, and I'm a very good customer, I've been Platinum Executive for the last 7 years straight and even have more than a million miles! Most of the miles I've given away as birthday gifts to friends and family; since I travel so much already, I don't really need the miles. But recently, since I had so many, I sold a ticket to someone from Craigslist. She already completed her flight and it was fine with no issues.

I've been reading on this board and trying to get lots of information. I know everyone is very judgmental, so after I get through the first 50 replies of everyone condemning my behavior (which I am sorry for, and I didn't even know it was wrong), would it be possible to get any advice on how to handle the situation.

They want me to send all these receipts and copies of ads etc. I don't have any of that. I just met the lady, she paid me in cash and that was it. They are threatening to cancel my entire account if I don't cooperate. They want an affadavit and all this stuff. I'm so confused, and could use any advice from anyone here.

If you've had an experience like this or anything, please share what you can, or free to send me a private note as I would really appreciate your help. It sucks because in the meanwhile, I needed to book a bunch of tickets overseas, so I had my admin book me on United, which is fine, but I don't have status with them, and I know it sucks to be a non status passenger these days.

Welcome to FT!

It is unfortunate that you joined our community under these circumstances, but that's life.

I hope that someone does have experience as to what to do under these circumstances. AA is following its standard process when circumstances such as these occur. As you point out, you sold a ticket in violation of the terms and conditions of the AAdvantage program and AA appears to be leveling the standard punishment.

I know what I would do in your circumstances: I'd tell AA the truth, admit what I did and ask for forgiveness, assuring them I'd never do it again. If AA dumped me, then I'd sign up with another carrier.

It's tough, but it sounds to me that AA has the upper hand here.

I hope that things work out successfully for you and that you remain a contributing member to FT!

makfan Sep 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 12446660)
I had never thought of this in the context of this thread - it's an excellent question! I'm not sure I have an opinion, other than it would be nearly impossible for such activity to ever cause problems with AAdvantage. Why would they ever even start to look into award tickets issued to and used by the AAdvantage member themselves?

I think it is more of a gray area ethically with the company and a possible tax issue. I suppose it does violate the letter of the AAdvantage terms & conditions, since you've received remuneration for the ticket, but it would be harder to detect.

I can't think of any company I've worked for that would have paid me an expense reimbursement for using my own frequent flier miles. I always needed a ticket receipt.

I either use my miles for perks for myself or I gift tickets to extended family members. I have a boatload sitting there; maybe someday I'll need to use them when the travel budget can no longer absorb my love of flying. :D