Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizer / sizers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizer / sizers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Platinum, HH Silver, Hertz PC, National ExEl
I always get an astonished look by the TSA Cerberus, when I demonstrate how easy the ZucaPro fits the sizer in LAX.

I am very happy with it since it packs more than a conventional 21"bag and you can sit on it, which came handy quite often.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:52 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Artur
I always get an astonished look by the TSA Cerberus, when I demonstrate how easy the ZucaPro fits the sizer in LAX.

I am very happy with it since it packs more than a conventional 21"bag and you can sit on it, which came handy quite often.
That's one cool looking bag! http://www.zuca.com/zuca_pro/index.php
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
Coolest bag I ever saw was on a flight from SAn to DFW. Made by Rawlings, it has features like that of a baseball glove. If you're a baseball fan, you'll dig this:

http://www.luggage.com/Rawlings-R022-Tan-JN1092.html
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Gravis Jetway 22" fits fine. It draws lots of looks but always fits in when challenged even at the pits of LGW, LHR and (gasp) STN!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:34 pm

I have an eagle creek tarmac es 22 sold as a legal carry-on. I have traveled all over the world with it w/o a problem as long as the outside pockets are not full. The bag is even rounded on top to accommodate the curve of the back of the overhead compartment.

But......last week I flew RNO-ORD-LGA and then JFK-SFO (on a smaller "change of equipment" aircraft). The bag fit on all flights except for the ORD-LGA segment. My bag was not even full but the bottom plastic corner protector just would not make it past the frame of the cabinet. No matter what position or location we tried.

It was baffling because I believe it was the same type of 733 equipment. And of course, I was receiving all the tsk, tsk, tsk looks from the other passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:46 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by msk6261
I have an eagle creek tarmac es 22 sold as a legal carry-on. I have traveled all over the world with it w/o a problem as long as the outside pockets are not full. The bag is even rounded on top to accommodate the curve of the back of the overhead compartment.

But......last week I flew RNO-ORD-LGA and then JFK-SFO (on a smaller "change of equipment" aircraft). The bag fit on all flights except for the ORD-LGA segment. My bag was not even full but the bottom plastic corner protector just would not make it past the frame of the cabinet. No matter what position or location we tried.

It was baffling because I believe it was the same type of 733 equipment. And of course, I was receiving all the tsk, tsk, tsk looks from the other passengers.
You sure that LGA-ORD leg was on AA? UA flues the 737s on that route. AA is MD80 or 757.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Eggzackly! My Switchback Max 22 has gone around the world with me, and never been a problem with AA - even BA has allowed it in the cabin more often than not (once I was busted and required to check it in,) and it usually fits in lengthwise. The Switchback has supplied me with clothes and more for one month trips, with the backpack that cab be zipped onto the Switchback's, er, back.

On one or two a/c I have had to put it in wheels last, and it has to fit sidewise on the AB side of an MD-80 (which I try to never use.)

Originally Posted by Jish
My bag of choice after much searching is the Eagle Creek Switchback Max 22.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/product/20217

It is a small 22" rollaboard that will fit in the overhead and passed the test in JFK and LHR. The coolest part, though, is that a medium sized backpack zips onto the front of the rollaboard.

So when I go through security I go through with a small rollaboard and a small backpack (personal item) - one for overhead, one for under seat. However, after security I can zip the backpack onto the front of the bag and wheel them both around securely.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:56 am
yk

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott Silver
TravelPro 19"

I have a TravelPro Crew 5 19". Have been asked several times to put in AA's sizer - of course it fits.

It's a discontinued line. But I think all the TravelPro 19" rollaboards will fit.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by msk6261

were you in the very front? the first bin, the one with the split doors on the MD80, does not open all the way due to the cabin roof changing height.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
You sure that LGA-ORD leg was on AA? UA flues the 737s on that route. AA is MD80 or 757.
Yes, definitely. AA #336 but I got the a/c type from flightaware since I did not think to notice the a/c inflight.

Must have been incorrect info since flightstats lists it as an MD-83.

And no, we did not try just the one bin. The FA tried to fit it in many different overhead compartment locations.

????
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; Hertz President's Circle; Hilton Gold
Rick Steves' 21" rollaboard passed the sizer test at MIA last week --as long as not overly stuffed.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...rentId=8&id=42
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Briggs & Riley Carry-On Wheeled Garment BagU374

Fits all AA mainline overhead bins except 767-200. Have put about 150k of travel on this bag & it is the best I have ever owned!!!!

The best part is getting on an MD80 & the gate agent @ the front or fligh attendent says "we might have to check that bag". Turn it sideways & slides right in!!! Even fits perfect in the corners w/ the spot for bin hinges that make many bags not fit on corners of bins.

^^^^^ 5 thumbs up.

Carry-On Wheeled Garment BagU374
collection: baseline
category: garment bags
dims: 14 x 21 x 8.5 in.
35.6 x 53.3 x 21.6 cm
price: $479.00
color: Black Olive

SUITS YOU RIGHT
This carry-on garment bag conveniently carries your essentials.

Outsider handle for wrinkle-free flat packing
Accommodates 2-3 suits
Meets most airline carry-on regulations
SmartLink system securely attaches a second bag for easy transport

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...rment-Bag_U374
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:18 pm

eBags Weekender?

New here to AA. My first flight as an adult, although as a child (as my dad states), we flew exclusive...I don't remember, it was years ago.

eBags weekender:
22x14x9
3# 10oz
45 linear inches.

Will it be legal for a carryon?

Going on a CRJ (CLE-JFK)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
I was searching for this information prior to my flight, and couldn't find it.

The ZucaPro fits length wise on the AB side of the MD80.

It also fits wheels first in the overheads on the 737-800.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happymom2008
Will it be legal for a carryon?

Going on a CRJ (CLE-JFK)
It's a legal carryon, but like with most RJs, you'll probably have to leave it planeside and retrieve it planeside, as it probably won't fit the overhead bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.