Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizer / sizers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Could we start a list of specific bags that have been user-confirmed to fit inside the sizers?

My Victorinox NXT 20" has been repeatedly deemed acceptable by GAs at LAX.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread has now been split out from the main http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html thread.

As of 5/19/10, AA's Carry-on Baggage Policy now stipulates that carryon bags :-: must fit the sizer :-:, as well as measuring 45 linear inches max, with individual dimensions no greater than 22" long / 14" wide / 9" deep (previously 22 x 18 x 10).

The measured dimensions of the airport sizers are discussed in two posts here.

Please be sure to provide the make and model of your rollaboard and your personal experience with AA's new gray sizers. If we get enough responses, I can transfer the information to a wiki page.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jul 22, 2010 at 9:22 pm Reason: updated individual dimension limits
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:33 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by osmodion
Could we start a list of specific bags that have been user-confirmed to fit inside the sizers?

My Victorinox NXT 20" has been repeatedly deemed acceptable by GAs at LAX.
I think it's a great idea - if there are enough responses, we can split this out into a separate thread and add the list the Wiki.

Our Delsey Helium Fusion 21" rollaboards always make it into the sizers, although if they're really stuffed with dive gear (expansion zipper closed), the front pockets may need to be compressed a bit to fit past the top bar of the sizer.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:48 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
I think it's a great idea - if there are enough responses, we can split this out into a separate thread and add the list the Wiki.

Our Delsey Helium Fusion 21" rollaboards always make it into the sizers, although if they're really stuffed with dive gear (expansion zipper closed), the front pockets may need to be compressed a bit to fit past the top bar of the sizer.
eBags Mother Lode Mini
Passes LHR & LAX goober baggage checks
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:17 pm

Johnston & Murphy 20" Cabin Duffel
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I carry a Travelpro Platinum 5 Garments 2 Go. It's measurements are 14" X 22" X 9". By my math that's 45".

It doesn't fit in the sizers at LAX. In my mind, that means the sizers are smaller than AA's own baggage policy. Last time I flew, LAX-BOS, I had to check it to BOS, bot on my way home to LAX, no problem. It fit in the overhead on a 763 without even having to give it a hard shove.

Like I said in a previous post, next time I'm bringing a copy of AA's policy and a tape measure.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:24 am

It's a good thing that it fit in the bin with no extra effort.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by dstan

I've been looking at this one from Brookstone, if anyone has any experience with it I'd love to hear!

XpressCheck 21" Ballistic Computer Traveler
21-inch luggage holds laptop, has a suiter, and features our XpressCheck security pocket.

Our 21" traveler with suiter carries your 15.4" laptop, files and clothes--and helps you get through security faster! Easy-access XpressCheck pocket secures loose valuables (keys, phone, wallet) for quick, safe screening at airport security. A padded, interior computer section holds your 15.4" laptop. There's also a zip-down business organizer and fan file, plus a removable suiter and snap-out toiletry kit. The roomy main compartment holds enough clothing for a short business trip or long weekend getaway. A rugged, dual-pole handle makes the traveler easy to handle and maneuver. And the padded top and side grips allow for easy lifting into overhead storage bins. Rugged ballistic nylon. 14" x 10" x 21".
By the way, can you get a suit into your Delsey? I've used their luggage before and liked it. And it's half the price of the Brookstone gear.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
By the way, can you get a suit into your Delsey? I've used their luggage before and liked it. And it's half the price of the Brookstone gear.
I have an older model without the full foldout suit accessory - however, I routinely put my jacket in by folding it, putting inside a loose plastic bag (per Carson Kressley), and clipping it into the suit holder flaps on the cover.

For $100 several years ago, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it and Mrs. dstan liked it enough to get one of her own recently. The interior is probably on the smaller side of the rollaboards out there, but I've fit a 2-week business trip in there before.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
"Rollaboard" is a registered trademark of Travelpro International Inc, by the way.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

All Tumi rolling garament bags fit.

The two one-generation-old 21" rollaboards fit, with a little work.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BarkinJ
I carry a Travelpro Platinum 5 Garments 2 Go. It's measurements are 14" X 22" X 9". By my math that's 45".

It doesn't fit in the sizers at LAX. In my mind, that means the sizers are smaller than AA's own baggage policy. Last time I flew, LAX-BOS, I had to check it to BOS, bot on my way home to LAX, no problem. It fit in the overhead on a 763 without even having to give it a hard shove.

Like I said in a previous post, next time I'm bringing a copy of AA's policy and a tape measure.
Don't forget that there are also maximum measurements for each dimension, even if they may not be posted. They have done a better job on www.baa.com in the UK listing these dimensions as well.

If the rule were just 45 linear inches,a "bag" 43"x1"x1" would be compliant as well, and it clearly isn't. I believe that the major dimension, even here, is 21".

I certainly don't excuse AA for not properly listing their dimensions (total dimension and the maximum measurements for each dimension) but I'm not sure that the tap measure thing will work with a non-compliant bag.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Don't forget that there are also maximum measurements for each dimension, even if they may not be posted. They have done a better job on www.baa.com in the UK listing these dimensions as well.
AA do list these as well in the cunningly well hidden 'Baggage tips and information' section

'Total dimensions of the carry-on bag may not exceed 45in/114cm of which each dimension must be no greater than 22in/56cm in length, 18in/45cm in width and 10in/25cm in depth.'
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mark_T
AA do list these as well in the cunningly well hidden 'Baggage tips and information' section

'Total dimensions of the carry-on bag may not exceed 45in/114cm of which each dimension must be no greater than 22in/56cm in length, 18in/45cm in width and 10in/25cm in depth.'
Well, that's what I get for assuming that, because so many people say they don't list it, not checking for myself and just trusting them.

Then, either the sizer lines don't match the numbers on AA's site (and the tape measure would easily determine that), or BarkinJ's bag isn't really dimensioned as stated (wheels and handles included). This should be easy to determine as well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:46 am

I've only been asked to put my Tumi '22 in the LAX sizer.

It won't fit if I have anything of any size if the outer pocket.

Once I remove everything from there and put it in my laptop bag it will fit.

I just put it back in once I am at the top of the escaltor in the security line
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
My Swiss Gear Zurich 17" Upright has no problems with the sizers.

I have an old Hartman 20" that just went through LAX sizer with no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.