Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEQM: It's baaaack... 2x EQM 3/18-6/15 2009! (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
3E is mine.

Except on even-numbered and no-meal flights where I grab it first.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Game on!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:35 pm

crap, booked after 3/18?????? shame on them.

Last edited by qqqgnss; Mar 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

Having said that: To all that achieve "upgraded" status due to ADDER Ver 2.1, welcome. 3E is mine.
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It's all yours! I wish you guys were on all my flights so I can have a better shot at 4/5 B/E...
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
Back on FT after a couple of really busy days and the news is great! A couple of observations after reading through the entire thread:

A rough estimate of my travels this year would probably have my qualify for EXP at the end of the year so, as someone else who has a BIS 2-4 times per week, the promo is great, since it will probably get me to EXP sooner.

I go through spurts of booking and had not really booked any of my Q2 flights except one, which is after June 15. I planned on booking everything next week as my schedule developed so this came at a terrific time for me.

I am now trying to plan a MR during this time period to help move things along. I just got back from a weekend in Dublin and had a great time so a weekend in FRA is not out of the question.

As far as grumblings about more EXP's, I will reiterate an earlier post that claims that there are less fliers out there these days and many will not be able to re-qualify for EXP with or without this promo and drop down to PLT

In the meantime, unless I feel like burning a sticker, you can find me in 7D (when I can get it).
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I repeat my belief EQM cost airlines ZERO .. you cant use them for awards.
Sure, giving out EQMs doesn't cost an airline anything, until someone has got enough of them to qualify for a higher member level with associated benefits that do cost the airline something. Just like writing a check doesn't cost you anything, until someone cashes it; or using a credit card doesn't cost you anything, until the bill arrives...
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking

Sure, giving out EQMs doesn't cost an airline anything, until someone has got enough of them to qualify for a higher member level with associated benefits that do cost the airline something.

No it is like a VERY minor opportunity cost to get a new client.

Why do yo imagine you get 25,000 miles for signing up for a new visa card?

And have done for a decade. As it WORKS.

Do you think AA or UA care if such promos attract flyers from other airlines who now spend money with THEM?

This is THE worst year in aviation loads and revenue for decades. And WILL get worse.

If they had any brains they'd contact EVERY elite from last year who did not make status this year saying:

"we realise this has been a tough year economically for all frequent flyers globally, and your flying patterns may have been impacted because of it - along with many others.

As a one time goodwill gesture to recognise this reality we enclose an Elite card of the same level you held last year.

To RETAIN this card for 2010 you do need to fly the requisite number of miles/segments which are outlined here ............"

Actual COST to do it is peanuts and the flip-side is a TON of goodwill and a LOT of extra booked flights = revenue from these folks.

For EXPs and 1Ks who ordinary gets VIPs and SWUs, well they get none on this offer. But all other perks apply.

Glen
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by ozstamps
If they had any brains they'd contact EVERY elite from last year who did not make status this year saying:

"we realise this has been a tough year economically for all frequent flyers globally, and your flying patterns may have been impacted because of it - along with many others.

As a one time goodwill gesture to recognise this reality we enclose an Elite card of the same level you held last year.

To RETAIN this card for 2010 you do need to fly the requisite number of miles/segments which are outlined here ............"

Actual COST to do it is peanuts and the flip-side is a TON of goodwill and a LOT of extra booked flights = revenue from these folks.
They already did it - but the offer was $549 or $649 to retain previous year's status.

Since at least some people take up that offer, giving it away for free instead would cost them however much money they got by NOT giving it away.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Good to hear. This will prevent EXP from being devalued. Again.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
How the heck does a promo go up in error, esp. one this high profile?
Yes. Surely AA didn't just discover the economy isn't as bad as they thought? Is this a buy signal?

Kind of reminds me of the old SNL skit that envisions Nixon as jokingly saying criminal things into his lamp shade as an office prank arising out of boredom.

"Sure we could do a double EQM promo, i know where we could get the web page, but that would be wrong." - AA
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by brp
It's meant to get people to fly more and give them more money. Period. Perhaps including previously-booked flights last year didn't work out for them. Because of it, I actually flew less than I would otherwise have to get EXP. Maybe a look at their numbers made them feel they'd have been better off not grandfathering the already booked. I have no idea, of course- but it is reasonable. If I were designing the promo, I would definitely not include already-booked fares. It raises no additional revenue.

Cheers.
I take your point and understand why AA have changed the rules this year. However, for me, the outcome is that I will fly less. I have about 25,000 miles of travel already booked in the period which of course won't be doubled. Had it been, it would have triggered me booking a couple of new trips added to those I intend to take later in the year to re-qualify EXP.

As it is, I'm so far off re-qualifying, I won't bother.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Mar 17, 2009 at 11:59 pm
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Well I hope this is true and going to be offered I've spent my left coast night dreaming plotting and conspiring how to max this out as fast as possible.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lili
And for some there's also the 10%, 20%, 30% discount on future flight for flying 1,2 or 3 RTs before May 15.

So 3 RT between BOS-California could be more or less 60,000 RDM, 30,000 EQM, and $300 discount on a $1,000 ticket. Assuming all the applicable bonuses could be used on each flight.
$1000 would be overdoing it.
I spent about $490 for 2 RT, so if they cheap seats are available, that would be about $1000 for 4 RTs, or over 80K RDM, 40K EQM
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Whatever the reason behind this ... I can't help but imagine a bit of a cash flow freeze for AA since the small percentage of FFers that represent the most number of rear in seats are waiting to see what happens. My gut tells me that this will go live after the office hours in CDT starts where some one has to hit 'apply' to the new page.

Around the thoughts to why would they not retro past purchases ... I get if from a P&L standpoint (why provide benefits to those who aren;t necesarily going to pay any more?). Sounds very short sighted to me to upset your most loyal customers by excluding them for doing something you want them to do (book and book early). The earlier the book flights, the better cashflow position they are in and a better forecasting ability. If they go with what was previewed, AA would be training their best and most frequent customers to hold off any bookings in the late winter/early spring time frame to wait for an AADER equivalent offer. Sure, it might represent higher fares last minute ... but ask any CFO in this economic climate. They would be happy to book revenue early and be in a better cashflow position, now.

Just my $0.02 here. Interested to see what AA does.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Show me the 2x EQM!

For me it's simple. As a single guy I have disposable income that I often use on travel. If AA does bring back this incentive then I will travel a lot more thru 06/15 than I normally would. If not, then I won't! AA, it is your choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.