Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Award Travel - Recourse for Schedule / Equipment Changes (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel - Recourse for Schedule / Equipment Changes (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
That's the one. Note, though, that this is information for them to share with travel agents and is not binding upon AA. Experiences here say that they have been pretty good about giving fee-free refunds in this case, but they don't actually have to. So tone the request accordingly
That is correct -- customer protection in the US pretty much sucl<s, so you're at the mercy of the airline's unilaterally-imposed 'conditions of carriage' which you had to accept by "adhesion" (you cannot negotiate your contract) when you forked over your hard-earned money or pre-paid FF miles. In AA's case, they state:
American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.
Translated into English, it means that AA doesn't have to do anything when schedule changes! And that's totally legal.

Pretty amazing, isn't it?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider

Translated into English, it means that AA doesn't have to do anything when schedule changes! And that's totally legal.

Fortunately they almost always do the right thing in these cases, so the fact that they aren't required to isn't terribly relevant to the realities.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Fortunately they almost always do the right thing in these cases, so the fact that they aren't required to isn't terribly relevant to the realities.

Cheers.
Well, people here rightfully (this is FT after all) asked for a source for the information saying that they would issue a refund, and the only relevant (and quite real) source of information is the one that says they aren't required to anything.

I recognize that they "almost always" do the right thing, but that's besides the point of providing the source info to those who requested it.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, people here rightfully (this is FT after all) asked for a source for the information saying that they would issue a refund, and the only relevant (and quite real) source of information is the one that says they aren't required to anything.

I recognize that they "almost always" do the right thing, but that's besides the point of providing the source info to those who requested it.
Which had, of course, already been pointed out without the heavy-handed language.

But, yes, your admonitions of complete lack-of-culpability and the potential for skulduggery are quite correct.

Cheers,
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: General member AF, AA, UA, Qatar, Emirates

The conditions of carriage do say this, however, in general, the ticket rules state that you can refund a ticket due to a schedule change. I don't know if Conditions override fare rules, or the other way around, or if it's just a grey area.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
There's more to this story.

I was not going to risk $2389 in travel voucher (about $1189 above what those 120K 'ThankYou' points are now worth) in order to avoid a problems with getting $150 change fee waived -- I was already prepared from day 1 to pay the change fee anyway, naturally, I just wanted to cancel the ticket at an optimal time in hopes I could get it waived.

Now that I am armed with more specific and documented information, I will phrase a nice and polite letter to AA customer service and hope they issue me a $150 eVoucher or something equivalent.
I think your problem would be, the waive of fee usually would be to cancel the ticket first, AND the refund goes back to ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT, unless you book same itinerary with new schedule as replacement - which is of course NOT what you want to see happen.

I have had similar case with CO who would Gladly waive the fee, BUT it would be full refund to Original Form of Payment. Or, I can choose to pay the ticket change fee but keep the credit with me!

Let us know what is the final outcome.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
That is correct -- customer protection in the US pretty much sucl<s, so you're at the mercy of the airline's unilaterally-imposed 'conditions of carriage' which you had to accept by "adhesion" (you cannot negotiate your contract) when you forked over your hard-earned money or pre-paid FF miles. In AA's case, they state:

The stuff you quoted said they aren't responsible for "damages", it doesn't say they won't refund your money if there is a schedule change.

Another poster made a remark about a 2 hour change being needed.
I had AA award tickets from Lima to Julica on Lan Peru and got a no charge mileage redepost when the last flight was changed to 1/2 hour earlier. So, it wasn't like I could give up my earlier plans and take that flight, and there was no option for a later flight.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
The stuff you quoted said they aren't responsible for "damages", it doesn't say they won't refund your money if there is a schedule change.
Well, nothing in the Conditions of Carriage says that they are forbidden do something to your favor that isn't specifically contemplated in the Conditions of Carriage itself.

The relevant part here is that the Conditions of Carriage contains an obligation to take you when it pleases them (i.e. being subject to a schedule change is part of the contract when you buy the ticket), not to refund the money if the schedule changes -- and you're absolutely right, it doesn't say that they're forbidding that the money be returned, but this is small consolation to the poster who's looking for certainty on his/her case.

Last edited by hillrider; Dec 4, 2009 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highschoolband
The conditions of carriage do say this, however, in general, the ticket rules state that you can refund a ticket due to a schedule change. I don't know if Conditions override fare rules, or the other way around, or if it's just a grey area.
Can you please quote the exact passage of the ticket rules? I've read hundred/thousand of them, and they simply don't say that (but I will to stand corrected of presented with evidence otherwise--please provide).
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mvoight

Another poster made a remark about a 2 hour change being needed.
I had AA award tickets from Lima to Julica on Lan Peru and got a no charge mileage redepost when the last flight was changed to 1/2 hour earlier. So, it wasn't like I could give up my earlier plans and take that flight, and there was no option for a later flight.
I just want to clarify that there is absolutely no time limit required on what constitutes a schedule change. This one of those rumors that keeps perpetuating on FT while lacking any foundation.

The only time a time frame becomes relevant is when it is over 90 minutes as that allows you (the pax) to request a refund to your credit card, while anything else should be credited via vouchers.

Even a 2 minute schedule change counts as a schedule change.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater

Even a 2 minute schedule change counts as a schedule change.
True. But since you're entitled to nothing in the event of a schedule change of any length, they can certainly (and likely would) deny any change/refund in this case. That would obviously be a reasonable response.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by brp
True. But since you're entitled to nothing in the event of a schedule change of any length, they can certainly (and likely would) deny any change/refund in this case. That would obviously be a reasonable response.

Cheers.

Not much is reasonable with airlines.

IMHE and data points from others on here, while you may not be legally entitled to anything, AA is very good about working with you in these situations, so if you are armed with rule 80/240 and have a positive attitude, not one of entitlement, you most likely will get what you want

Speaking of legal entitlement.. when you buy an airline ticket, you are not entitled to air transportation. You are entitled to be transported in the general direction of your destination within 4 hours of departure time in most cases. That could include bus travel.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Not much is reasonable with airlines.

IMHE and data points from others on here, while you may not be legally entitled to anything, AA is very good about working with you in these situations, so if you are armed with rule 80/240 and have a positive attitude, not one of entitlement, you most likely will get what you want
My point was that they do seem to do the "right thing" in most cases, even though they don't have to (Rules 80 and 240 are not relevant as they are not binding- merely provided as suggestions in the Agency section). For a "large" change they do seem to work with people. I doubt that they'd do anything for a 2, or 5, or even 15 minute change. That falls outside the do the "right thing" area. Quoting non-binding "rules" would be unlikely to change this. I consider that approach reasonable.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Refunds For Any Schedule Change

I am surprised that no one has posted the actual CoC regarding refund for schedule change. As you can see, you are entitled to a refund for a schedule change. [The other language means that AA isn't responsible for damages based on "I missed my meeting" or "I am very upset"]

Involuntary Refunds
In the event the refund is required because of American's failure to operate on schedule or refusal to transport, the following refund will be made directly to you -

If the ticket is totally unused, the full amount paid (with no service charge or refund penalty), or
If the ticket is partially used, the applicable fare for the unused segment(s).
AA shall not be obligated to refund any portion(s) of a ticket which does not reflect a confirmed reservation on an AA flight involved in a schedule irregularity, unless such ticket was issued by AA.

Whether the refund is voluntary or involuntary, American reserves the right to refuse to make any refund in a currency other than the currency of purchase or in a country other than country of purchase.

Last edited by sbrower; Dec 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I have thought about this further. It has been my experience that the language I quoted is the correct answer (i.e. - you are entitled to a refund for a schedule change and there is no "90 minute" rule - although there are probably some "negotiating" guidelines to avoid refunds for 5 minute changes.)

Of course, it is also possible that this is an artifact, from when the policy was different, and we will see it disappear in future rules. But I don't think that will happen. Jet Blue, for example, formally announced (at some time - don't remember the details) that they require as 12 hour delay before they will refund a ticket. That convinced me never to book a business flight on Jet Blue. AA has always been smarter and I expect that they will continue their current rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.