Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Award Travel - Recourse for Schedule / Equipment Changes (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel - Recourse for Schedule / Equipment Changes (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
This is actually an scheduled time change. I know for a fact as I hold a VERY similar (except J cabin) award departing next wed. I believe I started a thread on the QF forum and this is due to their summer DST....which QF bookings reflects it. You truly dont have angles to avoid the fee.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I disagree with most posters on here. The motivation of the OP is fairly irrelevant.

AA rule 80/240 states that if there is a schedule change the pax has several options. If none of the options are acceptable to the pax, he can get a refund (voucher or return to FOP). This is where the 90 minute rule comes in. Any change under 90 mins results in a voucher, above that FOP.

This rule also applies to aaward tickets issued by AA.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=en_IN

I know, some FTers will point out that this is an agency manual and not part of the CoC, but in my experience AA will honor this.

If the first agent does not, call back.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater

AA rule 80/240 states that if there is a schedule change the pax has several options. If none of the options are acceptable to the pax, he can get a refund (voucher or return to FOP). This is where the 90 minute rule comes in. Any change under 90 mins results in a voucher, above that FOP.
Again, this all hinges upon whether AA will play nice in this case (and they usually do), but it has nothing to do with citing a non-existent rule. I've also noted that they're pretty nice to me when I don't mention elephants, but this is about as relevant as the non-existent rule.Yeah,they usually do the right thing, but spouting gobbledygook is not the reason.

And I daresay that I'd have a tough time getting any form of refund for the 10-15 minute changes on my trip to MSY in April, if I were to want that, rule 8675309 notwithstanding.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater

This rule also applies to aaward tickets issued by AA.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=en_IN
By its terms, this "rule" seems to apply to any schedule change, even if only a few minutes. That can't be the case, can it?

If this rule applies to award travel, then by its terms the OP is entitled to a voucher for a less than 90 minute change. That doesn't make sense and I've never heard of award refunds other than in miles.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by richarddd
By its terms, this rule seems to apply to any schedule change, even if only a few minutes. That can't be the case, can it?

If this rule applies to award travel, then by its terms the OP is entitled to a voucher for a less than 90 minute change. That doesn't seem to make sense.
Except that the rule is not binding, and is just a recommendation (rule 80/240 used to exist a long time ago, but no longer). So, no one is "entitled" to anything as a result of this, although Deltahater's comment that they usually honor the spirit of this "rule" for larger delays is pretty accurate in my experience.

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by brp
Except that the rule is not binding, and is just a recommendation (rule 80/240 used to exist a long time ago, but no longer).
That's why I put rule in quotes.

Originally Posted by brp
So, no one is "entitled" to anything as a result of this, although Deltahater's comment that they usually honor the spirit of this "rule" for larger delays is pretty accurate in my experience.
The spirit being allowing cancellations without a redeposit fee for schedule changes over 90 minutes, but not for shorter period, although the unofficial nature of the "rule" makes it a YMMV situation?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:25 am

I think that if you explain that the person dropping you off or picking you up at the airport had planned for your travels for some time and now your new times mess up something on the ground they might be nice to you.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAaLot
I think that if you explain that the person dropping you off or picking you up at the airport had planned for your travels for some time and now your new times mess up something on the ground they might be nice to you.
Yeah - I've had schedule changes less than 90 minutes where they waived the change/redeposit fee if the excuse was good enough (especially if it involves now missing something that is not cancellable).
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
How much of a schedule change is needed before AA will waive redeposit fees?

I have an international trip booked for October, using miles, and I'll probably have to cancel it because my wife's ankle is not healing quite as fast as we hoped. I know a schedule change can sometimes get them to waive the redeposit fees, $175 in my case. How much of a sch. change will I need to avoid the fees?

A couple weeks ago QX cancelled their LAX-BOI nonstop (this was to be my last leg). Would that do it? What if the CSR says something like: "we can still get you into BOI, 2 or 3 hours later, via SJC or SFO"? Do I have to accept their offer?

Just wondering what my options are when I eventually call. I have no status with AA.

I can't change the dates of the trip, before the award expires in Dec., because of family & business obligations.
TIA

Last edited by philemer; Jun 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
I know a schedule change can sometimes get them to waive the redeposit fees, $175 in my case. How much of a sch. change will I need to avoid the fees?
90 minutes, as specified in the International General Rules Tariff, rule 80.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thank you. Very helpful.

Change in schedule means:

1. The cancellation of a scheduled flight where no AA flight of comparable routing is available within 90 minutes of the original time of departure;
2. A change in the scheduled departure time of an AA flight which exceeds 90 minutes;
3. A (sic) in the routing of a scheduled AA flight which adds one or more stops to the original itinerary, or;
4. A change in the routing scheduled AA flight that results in a scheduled arrival time more than 90 minutes later the original scheduled arrival time.

I'm assuming this covers both revenue and award tickets.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm assuming this covers both revenue and award tickets.
When I've encountered schedule changes on past AAward tickets, AA has offered to rebook me onto alternative flights earlier/later in the day to suit my schedule or even book me on a direct flight when my original itinerary had a connection. (Note: Original AAward inventory bucket does not have to be available. They will rebook you on another flight as long as there's a seat available.)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA mostly
Has anyone had luck with being granted a change in destination? I am flying to Costa Rica in March. On the way back, I was going to fly w/ my son and boyfriend to MIA, then stay there for a few days for a bachelorette party while my son/bf flew back to STL. The bachelorette party got moved to April though, so now I need to get back to STL.
I rec'd a notice that all of our flights SJO-MIA have been changed by 65 minutes. I know I could probably call and have the miles re-issued, or change to a different flight, but I'm wondering if they will re-issue my ticket so that it's SJO-MIA-STL like my son and bf's. I wouldn't actually want to change the flight # because it's the best one available, just add on the STL leg which originally didn't cost any more miles.
I could probably cancel all our flights and then reschedule us all on a SJO-MIA-STL flight, but all I see are flights w/ overnight layovers now.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
When I've encountered schedule changes on past AAward tickets, AA has offered to rebook me onto alternative flights earlier/later in the day to suit my schedule or even book me on a direct flight when my original itinerary had a connection. (Note: Original AAward inventory bucket does not have to be available. They will rebook you on another flight as long as there's a seat available.)
Apparently they don't always rebook you on any available flight. My upcoming flight to Kauai has been changed to arrive there about 2.5 hours later then when I booked my AAward ticket. Now I would be able to take the Non stop to LAX from STL to make the LAX-LIH connection, but they say there isn't inventory for that award ticket on the non stop flight, so they won't "over book" it even though I checked the available seats for the flight and the plane is about half empty. So they put me on another connecting flight through DFW and it's so full that they can't even assign me seats! Doesn't make since that they can't "overbook" the half empty non-stop flight, but will put me on a flight without assigned seats available!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:35 pm

flight change on LY

In October, we booked MilageSaver economy awards on LY. Flight now departs 2 hours earlier. We do not want the earlier flight. What are our options? I assume that we could ask AA to cancel itinerary without charging fee to redeposit miles. Do we have other options for changing flights, even if MileageSaver awards (x4) are no longer available? I would like to know what to ask for before calling AA. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.