Wiki Posts
Search

AA from Narita in Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

AA from Narita in Y

Hello everyone, It will be my first time flying in AA since I can remember. Just wanted to know briefly what I can expect in Y in AA, IFE, in service meals, FA etc ( normally I dont fly with them but they had the cheapest fare on the dates I needed to depart. Also I cant seem to find any open aisle seats on the online seat selection and the plane does seem to be full, is there a good chance that I can get a aisle seat as I will be checking in at HKG with JAL (codeshare AA to NRT)

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
You will have one of the most experienced crews (read old and grumpy) as this is one of AA's longest routes. You will have IFE and basic meals. You need to pay $6 per alcoholic drink, but you will get a blanket.

Expect nothing other than transportation and you will be pleasantly surprised

Last edited by Deltahater; Jan 8, 2009 at 8:14 am Reason: correct price for drinks
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Deltahater
You need to pay $5 per alcoholic drink
Now 6 bucks.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Now 6 bucks.
+1
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Expect nothing other than transportation and you will be pleasantly surprised
If the OP has Lufthansa long-haul in coach as his point of reference, this could be the highlight of his (new) year.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You will have one of the most experienced crews (read old and grumpy) as this is one of AA's longest routes.

Please...please....let's be respectful. Yes, AA's most senior FAs (35+ years of service) often fly these routes, but they are professionals, true veterans of the industry. If nothing else, we MUST recognize and respect them for staying in such a demanding line of work for so long. In my experience, the vast majority of them are exceptional employees, dedicated to customer service and truly passionate about their jobs. Overall, a wonderful bunch of ladies and gentlemen.

In fact, I usually receive the very best on-board service from very senior FAs on long-haul international flights. Frankly, if fly for AA for 40 years, don't you think there must be a reason beyond the travel opportunities? One would think that customer service would be something you really liked!

(Of course, there are always exceptions...but I try to focus on the good FAs and forget the less enthusiastic ones.)
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by ESpen36

In fact, I usually receive the very best on-board service from very senior FAs on long-haul international flights. Frankly, if fly for AA for 40 years, don't you think there must be a reason beyond the travel opportunities? One would think that customer service would be something you really liked!

(Of course, there are always exceptions...but I try to focus on the good FAs and forget the less enthusiastic ones.)
I have had the same experience as you this year and enjoyed some of the best FA's on my long hauls.^
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
My NRT flight crews were great, both in and out of DFW. Enjoy.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You will have one of the most experienced crews (read old and grumpy) as this is one of AA's longest routes.

Age & experience is not synonymous w/old and grumpy.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:29 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bundi404
Hello everyone, It will be my first time flying in AA since I can remember. Just wanted to know briefly what I can expect in Y in AA, IFE, in service meals, FA etc ( normally I dont fly with them but they had the cheapest fare on the dates I needed to depart. Also I cant seem to find any open aisle seats on the online seat selection and the plane does seem to be full, is there a good chance that I can get a aisle seat as I will be checking in at HKG with JAL (codeshare AA to NRT)

Thanks
To add a little more detail to what the other folks have already said...

IFE will be a little monitor in the seat in front of you. Nothing special, but enough TV shows, movies, games, etc to get you through most of your waking hours on the flight.

As for meals, depending on time of flight, you'll have at least 1 "meal" (standard Y fare) and most likely one "snack" - i.e. a croissant or a small sandwich. Alcohol is $6, as someone has already mentioned.

I've had good experiences with the FAs. Certainly not the level of service in J or F, but the FAs were happy to bring me beverages when I requested it. (They also occaisionally walk the aisles with a tray of water/juice.)

As for seats, keep checking the AA website; seat maps change all the time, so there's still a chance you can get confirmed a confirmed aisle seat. But since you mentioned the plane is pretty full, you may just have to keep checking with AAgents all the way up to HKG or NRT.

Have a good flight!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by chanp
My NRT flight crews were great, both in and out of DFW. Enjoy.
+1. I seem to have my most enjoyable experiences on these premium routes. These are typically folks who only have to fly a couple times a month and they seem to truly enjoy it.

Yes, there is an overall difference in "service" between the three cabins - that is to be expected. But regardless, you are in a coach cabin for 12+ hours. You will have a fairly good IFE (while not the best in the industry, you will get a good selection of new release movies as well as some good hits from the past). On a triple-7, you are on one of very few carriers who do a 2-5-2 layout so if traveling with someone you can get a good aisle-and-window. Food will be OK. We are not talking 5* restaurant here. But you will be fed. That being said, bring a snack just in case.

Your flight will be fine. Go into it expecting a nice experience and I am fairly certain you will get one.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Please...please....let's be respectful. Yes, AA's most senior FAs (35+ years of service) often fly these routes, but they are professionals, true veterans of the industry. If nothing else, we MUST recognize and respect them for staying in such a demanding line of work for so long. In my experience, the vast majority of them are exceptional employees, dedicated to customer service and truly passionate about their jobs. Overall, a wonderful bunch of ladies and gentlemen.
That won't stop the whiners looking for something to complain about from making blanket statements like the one you quoted. Some people seem to get bad service more than others. Must be the FA's fault

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Please...please....let's be respectful. Yes, AA's most senior FAs (35+ years of service) often fly these routes, but they are professionals, true veterans of the industry.
I will be respectful and say they did thier job in a safe manner but they were not at all friendly in Y ORD-FCO last Sept-Oct. I get MUCH better service in Y on domestic especially on AE. I don't expect them to be bubbly or anything but be cordial at least. Mrs. AADJ & I are planning to do DFW-NRT in F later this year. I hope they will be cordial.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:42 am

I had excellent service in J both ways DFW-NRT in Dec, but that absolutely doesnt answer your question.

So far all the overwhelming positive responses have been from EXPs, and presuming they were all traveling in F or J, the OP is still out for an answer. I agree that making blanket statements isnt fair or representative, but I would suspect a good deal of difference in service between the premium and coach cabins, especially when AA domestic Y service is in the flyer's back of the mind.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
encouraging FA's

I've found FA's respond well to a smile, use of the word "please" when making a request, and expressions of gratitude while being served.

What goes around, comes around. Want cordial treatment? Start off on the right foot with the FA's in your cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.