Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyer compares Transcons SFO/JFK on 178

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
UA flyer compares Transcons SFO/JFK on 178

On Sunday, I flew on 178 between SFO/JFK on a 767.

I was seated in 31A. How do you guys survive transcons in coach, when United offers Economy Plus (E+)? Those seats on the 767 are tight.

My first impression was that this was an older 767. I regretted not looking at the service card on the door to determine when the plane went into service.

I usually fly in business class between NY and CA on UA's P.S. (premium service) 757. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why anyone would fly AA in those old seats, vs UA's nice new seats (in biz and first). As a matter of fact, the FA told me the seats were recently re-done on AA. He also told me he recently flew UA P.S. Biz on a buddy pass. Hopefully he didn't take my seat.
I couldn't compare biz service or food or IFE in biz class, but I have to say coach service on AA wasn't all that bad. Ok, it was pretty good. ^
The FA's made several runs through the cabin feeding us (I brought a sandwich with me) and watering us down. I think the word is attentive. @:-)

I didn't watch the movie. UA has AA beat by offering free headphones, vs $2. on AA.

AA's 2 aisle 767's beat the single aisle 757.

As I was taking my customary walk to the rear galley, the SF based crew asked me if I was looking for something. I told them I was a refugee from UA flying on my first AA flight in years. FYI, this was an award ticket. I think my last flight was in 1988. You know the story. AA pi$$ed me off about something, so I switched to UA.

When I told the FA's that I was new to American, we got into a nice conversation. They even offed me a free BOB cookie. Just about made my day. On UA, goalie is in the habit of passing out tootsie pops to FA's. As for me, I usually carry some novelty keychains to pass out. It's a good way to make friends. I even think that one of the FA's liked me. He seemed upset when I told him I was married.

Overall, I had a positive experience on this transcon with one of those great crews. They were so good I thought they were JFK based. Seems they were SFO based.

I'm still trying to figure out why AA's 50k transcon flyers aren't flying the friendly skies? Better seats. Nicer experience.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I didn't watch the movie. UA has AA beat by offering free headphones, vs $2. on AA.
But....AA has powerports in coach on all their mainline flights Should have brought your own movies and power cord along (cigarette lighter type). Those powerports come in real handy on the MD80's if you're taking a slightly longer route to build miles. I send TIVO programs to my laptop and bring them along.

Good seeing you in North Beach this weekend. Don't think we're going to lure you over from the "friendly skies" anytime soon, though.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:36 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Ah yes... but do you have Wi-Fi on UA SFO-JFK. We do on AA.

Overall, I agree on the legroom issue.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Free or $2, the headphones still suck.
I think very few people don't own a pair of better ones.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
But I never, ever, ever have to talk to anyone in India about my reservation.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by pdquick
But I never, ever, ever have to talk to anyone in India about my reservation.
But we're not stuck to just AA on TATL flights.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Last I checked, AY still served JFK and IB flies to BOS, ORD, IAD, MIA and SJU. We also can jump to YYC, YVR, YUL and YYZ to catch BA, which isn't much different than flying AC to Europe anyways. I get your point, but to imply there are no options is absurd.

And in defense of the AA J seat on the 762, I actually prefer it to the ps C seat. I find it more comfortable for reclining and sleeping, and I've never had a broken seat - anecdotal for sure, but I've sat in my share of broken ps C seats.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Out of JFK, we still can fly AA metal and have the opportunity to upgrade to places like LHR, CDG, EZE, GRU, GIG and NRT - routes UA has long since abandoned.

I do wish AA did have MRTC again as well as channel 9.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:16 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
For the life of me I couldn't figure out why anyone would fly AA in those old seats, vs UA's nice new seats (in biz and first).
Well, if it was a 3-class aircraft, it was a 767-200. Most of the transcons are 2-class 767-300s, which have actual new seats in F (which is really INTL J, but which I prefer to UA's biz seats), versus the 767-200, which might have some new fabric on the seats, but aren't really new in any significant sense.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
As someone who has flown all three cabins on both airlines on the JFK-LAX/SFO market. I still prefer the AA product. Coach on both is coach, but E+ on the UA 757 is still pretty tight even with E+. With status 90% of my trips in Coach on AA I find myself in the exit row anyways so leg room is not an issue. The Business Class seat on UA beats the Business seat on AA's 762 and the UA ones seem to be spread farther apart. AA wins the First Class seat on the 3- Cabin, find the large recliner to be more comfortable over the UA angle seat. I miss the old fur lined seat on AA and love seat 2D. AA gives you a choice of lighter meals on the red-eyes, UA just fruit and cheese. Having to call reservations I find it a relief not having to speak with someone in India who I find I have to repeat myself to over and over and get a scripted answer from in return. Not saying AA's res agent are perfect but.. The headsets on UA are free in Coach, but when was the last time they were changed? I would not put those on my ears of near any other part of my body for that matter. I find the crews on both carriers that fly this market to be above average for both carriers.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:58 am
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
Most of the transcons are 2-class 767-300s
Most of the transcons? Really?

On JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX (which is where AA is competing with UA P.S.) all but one of the daily flights is on a 762. I would also disagree with the poster above in that I prefer the three-class AFS flights. In economy the service is better and because there are fewer seats boarding and deplaning are faster. There are also more premium seats so upgrades are much easier - Y->F upgrades on the 763 JFK-SFO are virtually impossible whilst I have been able to get Y->J and J->F upgrades on the 762 as a PLT. The NGBC seats are nice, but there are other factors to consider.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Out of JFK, we still can fly AA metal and have the opportunity to upgrade to places like LHR, CDG, EZE, GRU, GIG and NRT - routes UA has long since abandoned.

I do wish AA did have MRTC again as well as channel 9.
(And FCO, MXP, BCN, BRU--American's European network is getting much better these days, particularly from New York.)

Not to mention that AA flies a lot of places domestically out of NYC as well, whereas with UA you're basically limited to flying to hubs. As a NYC-based flier, trying to steer most of my flying to UA would mean *lots* more connections.

For a while I really did prefer UA for transcons, but P.S. has been slowly whittled down to the point that there's no compelling reason to choose it other than slightly more legroom if you don't grab the exit row or upgrade and Channel 9. On the other hand, AA has WiFi, which is an overwhelming win for me--lets me be more productive on business trips and happier on leisure trips.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I was talking to an FA about the headphones not too long ago. He mentioned how rarely people actually buy them anymore, estimating an average of 3 or 4 Y pax needing them. Most people carry their own.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aa767flyer
The headsets on UA are free in Coach, but when was the last time they were changed? I would not put those on my ears of near any other part of my body for that matter.
Eeeuuwww. The UA "free" headphones have been used by other people?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Even as an AA lover, I think your assessment is spot on. The legroom in AA coach sucks and the seats have seen better days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.