Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Historically, how are upgrades from LHR on Memorial Day? Currently, EF is showing only C inventory available to RDU and none to JFK, ORD, DFW, LAX, MIA, BOS.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Strange to read about delayed UG's for others as my UG's for 1/6 lax-dfw and dfw-yyz came thru right at T-100.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
My upgrade on 1/6 from JFK to lax cleared shortly after I posted here.
My flights for 1/7 both cleared t-100 so I guess they are caught up.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I was booking SAN-BOS yesterday for Wed (1/5) and was deliberating to connect though ORD or DFW. I usually prefer ORD, and we're close enough in that I knew weather probably wouldn't be an issue. But DFW is an extra 143 EQM, and never too early to be worrying about that sort of thing.

I kept DFW on hold for 24h or so. Upgrades looked like a good shot (one was a 6.30am departure for crying out loud) but nothing cleared at 60hrs. Just before hold expired I released the DFW and put a hold on the ORD connection. Both legs cleared into X immediately. I had my answer.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Still waiting on eVIP upgrade to clear on for #95 MAD-JFK on Jan 17. Expertflyer is showing J2R2 but there appear to be 4 unassigned on the seatmap (and totally understand that this is unscientific). Any idea how tough this one might be for an EXP on the waitlist?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Still waiting on eVIP upgrade to clear on for #95 MAD-JFK on Jan 17. Expertflyer is showing J2R2 but there appear to be 4 unassigned on the seatmap (and totally understand that this is unscientific). Any idea how tough this one might be for an EXP on the waitlist?
I'm on AA95 that week, too. I believe I ticketed the third week of Nov; the outbound cleared immediately, and the return cleared a week later in late Nov/early Dec. At that time, the cabin was still J7 with only one seat occupied according to the seat map.

With it being J2 and two weeks away, I'm almost 100% positive that they're going to wait until gate to clear any remaining upgrades off the waitlist. With a small 16J cabin, if I were in your position, I wouldn't hold my breath on it clearing. Good luck with it, though; I hope it comes through for you at the end!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't have much experience with the new 2-class CR7s. I'm looking at doing a Friday Afternoon (4:30 PM) RDU-LGA flight. Think I have a shot at a Gold? I failed last year on a Friday morning RDU-ORD 737-800 flight.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't have much experience with the new 2-class CR7s. I'm looking at doing a Friday Afternoon (4:30 PM) RDU-LGA flight. Think I have a shot at a Gold? I failed last year on a Friday morning RDU-ORD 737-800 flight.
That's an easy upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

LGA-RDU friend of mine is gold and clears all the time. Light elite load according to him
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

LGA-RDU friend of mine is gold and clears all the time. Light elite load according to him
Plus its an upgrade that PLATs and GOLDs and EXP companions are less likely to request. Especially if they can get row 5.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by demkr

That has been my experience, as well. I'm 4 for 4 since November on that particular route. Come to think of it, in the 5-6 months since I started flying on the 2-class CR7, I can't recall NOT getting an upgrade. If only the same were true on mainline flights to/from DFW...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
I'm waiting for LHR-DFW and DFW-LAS on 1/8. Both look like they have plenty of unassigned seats, and for some reason I can't use stickers to upgrade the domestic part alone anymore as a backup. Just not an option on reservation anymore, strange?

Anyway, chances of this clearing or am I going to have to put myself on the ugprade list at LHR again?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by JY1024
I'm on AA95 that week, too. I believe I ticketed the third week of Nov; the outbound cleared immediately, and the return cleared a week later in late Nov/early Dec. At that time, the cabin was still J7 with only one seat occupied according to the seat map.

With it being J2 and two weeks away, I'm almost 100% positive that they're going to wait until gate to clear any remaining upgrades off the waitlist. With a small 16J cabin, if I were in your position, I wouldn't hold my breath on it clearing. Good luck with it, though; I hope it comes through for you at the end!
That is what I figure - it's been bouncing around between J5 and J2 for two weeks. My gut says be prepared for whY (and I have row 18 which is good). Always love working the battlefield upgrades!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I hope this has never been asked before- as a PLT, I am aware that my u/g clearing window is at T-72 hours, and that we don't really have a way to know if a seat in 'X' bucket is available until T-24h via expertflyer (unlike UA which shows NC/NF bucket on .bomb).

Anyway, let's hypothetically speak that I did not request an upgrade until after T-72 hours, and let's also say that had I requested the upgrade early, I would clear right at T-72 hours. Now the upgrade is still showing as "requested" on my itinerary. The question is: would I potentially clear at T-24 with GLDs, or I will be placed on the list for battlefield u/g? I know with UA, as long as NC/NF is available, I can claim the seat (although it may not happen automatically and require a phone call to the 1K desk).

It has been my experience that while first class looked quite empty (F7, A7 or A3 on EF), if the request was submitted after my T-72 window, I almost always had to wait for clearing at the gate ... although luckily my upgrade has cleared 93.7% of times in 2010.

Just wondering ...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by kw335

Anyway, let's hypothetically speak that I did not request an upgrade until after T-72 hours, and let's also say that had I requested the upgrade early, I would clear right at T-72 hours.

How can you "not request an upgrade until after T-72" and also "request the upgrade early"

Originally Posted by kw335
Now the upgrade is still showing as "requested" on my itinerary. The question is: would I potentially clear at T-24 with GLDs, or I will be placed on the list for battlefield u/g? I know with UA, as long as NC/NF is available, I can claim the seat (although it may not happen automatically and require a phone call to the 1K desk).
As for the issue once it is requested: let's say you request it at 40 hours, if there is X availability, you will clear into X when you place the res on hold. If there is no X availability, you will be placed in the PLT queue, which will clear before they start clearing GLDs. They may clear the list at 24 hours, they may not clear it until the airport, that depends on the loads, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.