Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Will AA eliminate ALL elite bonus miles like US Airways did today?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA eliminate ALL elite bonus miles like US Airways did today?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
So, let's say that they did eliminate the bonus miles for elites. I'd still be able to get free domestic upgrades, something I can't do on WN (don't know about the others). I'd still get my eVIPs and be able to upgrade internationally. I'd still get additional help during IRROPS. I'd still get my free snacks on Eagle

All I'd lose is the extra RDM.

While I'd prefer that this not happen, the EXP benefits I get would still be there, and It'd still be better for me than the LCCs, not substantially different than it is now.

Cheers.

Right, I value the RDM more than you obviously, I would think I'm not alone in this ... so that would be a hit, reducing those coming in a drastically upping the fee (as US did), would be harmful. If I were EXP, it might be a different story, but as PLAT (and previously GLD), the upgrades are not "free" and not plentiful enough. IMO, no RDM bonus, effectively cuts the value of elite in half.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by Pickles
One upside of them eliminating bonus miles is that I wouldn't feel any allegiance to AA on transpac to Japan and would switch to JL without feeling like I'm leaving miles on the table.

Right now, when I fly paid transpac I fly AA and use the accumulated miles + bonuses in JL J or F.
yeah those middle seats in biz dont win any prizes
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by brp
So, let's say that they did eliminate the bonus miles for elites. I'd still be able to get free domestic upgrades, something I can't do on WN (don't know about the others). I'd still get my eVIPs and be able to upgrade internationally. I'd still get additional help during IRROPS. I'd still get my free snacks on Eagle

While I'd prefer that this not happen, the EXP benefits I get would still be there, and It'd still be better for me than the LCCs, not substantially different than it is now.
For EXP that is true.

Where it would really be noticeable would be for those who are Plat. Removing RDMs would make them almost the same as Gold, sans boarding and ahead in the upgrade queue; hardly an increase in benefits worthy of flying 50-99K annually. So with RDM changes I would see some people flying more to reach EXP, but probably see a lot more flying less since Plat would mean little in the way of additional benefits. JMO
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:26 am

Upgrade offers should be reordered.

One money making idea for airlines would be to offer same day 24 hour buy ups to F to all customers at checkin of some amount prior to elite upgrades to F.

For example full fare F might be $2,500 fully refundable.
YUP might be $2,000 but nonrefundable.
Same day upgrades might be $60 per 500 miles offered through online check in to all customers including elites.
Elites would get seated after at the gate for $30 per 500.

This would be somewhat like bidding on travel as it reaches the end. If any passenger including elites felt F was important enough they would pay a higher bidprice to jump the Que.

JMHO
Short
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by redwall850
One money making idea for airlines would be to offer same day 24 hour buy ups to F to all customers at checkin of some amount prior to elite upgrades to F.

Same day upgrades might be $60 per 500 miles offered through online check in to all customers including elites.

This would be somewhat like bidding on travel as it reaches the end. If any passenger including elites felt F was important enough they would pay a higher bidprice to jump the Que.

JMHO
Short
Thats absurd, then no one would buy FC advance
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by redwall850

Well that is a good way to make your best customers happy.. NOT. But at least the people that found that cheapo fare and rarely fly you would be happy. What's so wrong with this picture... Oh wait, are you one of the US execs?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I think that you're right, that this would not impact the different levels of elites equally. Gold has significant other benefits over dirt - preboarding, exit row selection, sticker earning and upgrades, bag fee exemption, elite TSA and checkin lines. Gold would only lose a 25% bonus. Probably not the biggest thing in the world for Golds. There is still a significant benefit to being Gold vs. dirt.

EXPs get unlimited free domestic upgrades, VIPs, FL lounge on international travel, and the EXP desk, so that is a significant step up from Platinum.

Platinums would have the most problem with this, as the only significant difference between Gold and Plat would be AC access on international routes, something that a lot of Plats never have an opportunity to use. If someone flies enough on AA (because of schedules or non-stops, say) to achieve Gold, and has significant additional flying that might be somewhat cheaper or more convenient on another airline, they will lack incentive to channel that additional flying to AA, because Plat is not much better than Gold, and they are not getting bonus RDM on AA.

I experience this every year. As an example, I paid $100 more this year to fly AA LAX-OGG-LAX than it would have cost me on Hawaiian. I did this because I got 5,000 more miles on AA than I would have on Hawaiian (the 100% Plat bonus miles). Without the bonus miles, I would have flown Hawaiian.

If this were to happen, I think AA would see a substantial number of their Plats drop to Gold (and experience the corresponding revenue drop). Of course, AA might devise something to differentiate Plat from Gold (say, 4 eVIPs), but this would end up costing AA more than the extra redeemable miles.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
Platinums would have the most problem with this, as the only significant difference between Gold and Plat would be AC access on international routes, something that a lot of Plats never have an opportunity to use. If someone flies enough on AA (because of schedules or non-stops, say) to achieve Gold, and has significant additional flying that might be somewhat cheaper or more convenient on another airline, they will lack incentive to channel that additional flying to AA, because Plat is not much better than Gold, and they are not getting bonus RDM on AA.
And if you already have an AC membership, that really kills that benefit. Leaving only getting ahead of Golds on Upgrade/Standby Lists. I've done the same thing as you, paid extra on AA to get status miles to hit PLAT, ditching the 100%bonus would put a swift end to that.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by grahampros
Nope. I don't expect a match. AA is smart enough to realize that one of the few AAdantages they have left is retaining the value of it's FF program. Maintaining elite benefits is a key to this value in attracting higher paying passengers. Without the benfits of AAdvantage, they have little left to the high value passnegers.

AA has many flaws, but this point they get.
Yes, I agree with this. The AAdvantage program is one of the few strong differentiators AA has. I don't think they are unwise enough to much with it.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
EP's only make a tiny fraction of the people who fly on AA. If you change the rules enough to make people less loyal to AA (and they start to fly the most direct routing or best fare), not only does AA loose revenue, but many of these people sill see less value in having mileage affinity cards tied to any one airline and then you are talking about a serious revenue hit.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac

Platinums would have the most problem with this
Completely agree. When I was PLT, I was still accumulating more than using, so the bonus still wouldn't have mattered to me as much...but it would have been a larger portion of my benefits being cut than it is now, to be sure. I know I'm in the minority here, and I think catering to the likes of me in this regard is not in the best interests of the passengers or the airline...just in the best interest of me (and my wife)

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I think another reason why it is unlikely for AA to follow is they way in which the bonus miles are used. When I was PLT, I understood that flying SFO-LHR would yield c. 12,500 miles, w/the bonus = 25K miles, just enough to cover a one way upgrade w/a copay. Eliminate the 100% PLT mileage bonus and you could eliminate the revenue that comes from the copays.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Figures...right after I make PLT for Life.
Say it ain't so.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Figures...right after I make PLT for Life.
Say it ain't so.
It ain't so. The thread is nothing more than speculation.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango
EP's only make a tiny fraction of the people who fly on AA.
But we're AA's most valuable customers according to the reps I've spoken with

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.