Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Will AA eliminate ALL elite bonus miles like US Airways did today?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA eliminate ALL elite bonus miles like US Airways did today?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:20 am

I think many here are overstating the value and importance of elites. While they may the the "best customers" based on the miles they fly, they are not necessarily the best customers based on the income they bring in. My guess is that many who purchase the tickets AA wants us to purchase (i.e. full fare) are not that concerned with bonus miles or even elite status.

The other thing is will an airline lose money by eliminating its elites? I'm not totally convinced they will, if they lower capacity enough. If there is the correct supply, then they will sell tickets at what they want. Sure, an elite may spend $100 more to fly AA over DL on a trip to NYC to qualify for status. But if there is correct supply (or a mild shortage) then that $100 will be paid by somebody else who has to get to NYC who doesn't have status. If they can get supply right, I'm convinced there may be no need for FF programs.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by aa4ever
I think many here are overstating the value and importance of elites. While they may the the "best customers" based on the miles they fly, they are not necessarily the best customers based on the income they bring in. My guess is that many who purchase the tickets AA wants us to purchase (i.e. full fare) are not that concerned with bonus miles or even elite status.
Blaspheme!!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If they can get supply right, I'm convinced there may be no need for FF programs.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AAdvantage one of the more profitable parts of AA? How is doing away with that program beneficial?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by oneant
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AAdvantage one of the better, more profitable parts of AA? How is doing away with that program beneficial?
You're right. But at the same time, that may be only b/c they can't manage to charge enough on revenue tickets. If revenue ticket prices were higher and the flights themselves more profitable, perhaps the FF programs wouldn't be the most profitable parts of airlines. But what do I know?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by oneant
If removing bonus miles stems from the obvious financial issues, then I can see a few ways to produce the same result:
1) remove the bonus miles (affects only elites)
2) increase the mileage requirements for redemption (affects everyone)
3) decrease redemption availability (affects everyone)

Seems as though #2 and #3 would be sufficient. AA has recently decided to implement #2, and it sure seems as though #3 is in effect (IME it's harder than before to score a 90k business AAward).
I see more of #2 coming. In addition, all mileage redemption will also have significant fuel surcharges added as well. No more freebie like the way it used to be.....

Jiburi
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by brp
But we're AA's most valuable customers according to the reps I've spoken with

Cheers.
You still need to fill the back of the plane to turn a profit.

If the EP's are the most valuable customers, they would leave things alone and only make changes for the Plats and Golds.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:28 pm

The other thing is will an airline lose money by eliminating its elites? I'm not totally convinced they will, if they lower capacity enough. If there is the correct supply, then they will sell tickets at what they want. Sure, an elite may spend $100 more to fly AA over DL on a trip to NYC to qualify for status. But if there is correct supply (or a mild shortage) then that $100 will be paid by somebody else who has to get to NYC who doesn't have status. If they can get supply right, I'm convinced there may be no need for FF programs.
Airlines globally made roughly $7,500,000,000.00 in net profits off their frequent flier mileage programs in 2006. Do you really think the airlines can raise fares enough to make up for this difference?

If you raise fares to much, two things will happen:
1)Fewer and fewer people will fly--starting a downward spiral.
2)At a certain point, discount airlines will start to compete and bring down fares.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
You're right. But at the same time, that may be only b/c they can't manage to charge enough on revenue tickets. If revenue ticket prices were higher and the flights themselves more profitable, perhaps the FF programs wouldn't be the most profitable parts of airlines. But what do I know?
Errr, don't you mean less unprofitable?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,
Originally Posted by Tango
Airlines globally made roughly $7,500,000,000.00 in net profits off their frequent flier mileage programs in 2006. Do you really think the airlines can raise fares enough to make up for this difference?

If you raise fares to much, two things will happen:
1)Fewer and fewer people will fly--starting a downward spiral.
2)At a certain point, discount airlines will start to compete and bring down fares.
I agree. AA will not gamble with itse FF program. Selling billions of miles to credit card companies, etc, knowing that a vast majority of these miles will never be redeemed, is just too profitable.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by bdemaria
It ain't so. The thread is nothing more than speculation.
Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
IMHO US is attempting to turn itself into sort-of a WN/B6 hybrid. As I have speculated on the US board, I think they are looking to what EI did to their program as they were ditching OW for inspiration on what they want to do - and they feel their customers in the future were going to be.

Essentially US is gutting their elite program since they really don't feel that this is their important customer base.

The good news in the equation is that AA is not (at least yet) looking to EI for inspiration on the way to go.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
There is always WN

.. yes - all these things can be taken away - and what is left? Southwest. Their schedules from TX to the West Coast are beginning to look really good these days. Some nice late flights and fast too. The problem with shooing away your best customers is that they never come back. Never. There is nothing worse than a former good customer who feels they got shafted. DL did this to me when they pulled the Crown Room in PDX from where I was flying all the time - and didn't even offer a partial refund or some gracious offer. They have been toast as far as I am concerned ever since.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
AA cuts seem to be geared to the travelers that shop for the cheapest tickets with no alliance any airline, they have treid to keep these increase away from elites. I don't think AA will follow....
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I would definitely fly AA a lot less. Just enough to make gold. I regularly pay more for flights just to get the elite bonus. JAL would become my go-to for Transpac--sitting in the JAL lounge right now on my way to Bali, in fact. <award ticket> Boy this keyboard is tough!
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
No because AA has plans to be a viable airlines after dust settles on oil. US will floundering in a no mans land, LCC wanabe stuck with HCC cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.