Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
My initial thoughts as well. The overhead compartments will only be more full now with non-elites trying to carry as much as they can onboard.
Yes but since elites get to board first they get first dibs on the overhead space. Now as for spending more time in the AC and arriving at the gate 10 minutes before departure - that may have to change.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by brp
While I think that the new fee will impact the cabin stowage (and I do care about that), I disagree with your approach. I'm all in favor of having people pay for what they use, rather than having to subsidize it. This is in principle, of course, as the $15 doesn't really matter than much to me in reality.

They reduced prices and stopped serving food in Y; those that want food can buy it. They eliminated drinks in Y on international flights; those that want a drink can buy one. They added a fee for the second bag; want to check two bags- pay for it. This is just the same philosophy. If I don't check a bag, why should I pay for yours (you, in the general sense ).

Let's not try to make this appear any different than what it is. The airline industry in the US has become a pay-for-service proposition. It's not going to change. We can either accept it with a sigh or b$%@& and moan about it.

Cheers.
As usual brp, a most balanced and insightful analysis and agree completely!!! This is the world we live in. Accept it and move on, and at the end of the day, IMHO a pay for service proposition, in and of itself, is actually quite fair. If one wants "X", they should pay for it. Almost hear Mr. Walter Cronkite saying. "That's the way it is." Safe travels.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Please, if Southwest were really that great and cheap all the time, then the legacies should have lost most leisure travelers' business a long time ago. Yet Southwest maintains load factors that are well below legacy carriers. Clearly some people don't like Southwest or else everyone will be flying them already.
That because WN isn't parking planes in the desert in a desperate attempt to stop from hemorrhaging red ink.

Also, WN doesn't fly into some of the largest airports in the country...like ATL....yet. Once WN starts invading those fortress hubs, you'll see even more people abandoning the "full service" carriers and their nickel and dime fees.

Old May 21, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by rmc1
Hey, why not charge to use the bathroom. Not everyone uses it. Why should I pay for it when I don't use it? Same thing for air sickness bag, they can sell them too. I don't use the reading light either.....

Like someone else said, AA is now like RyanAir and not a full service carrier.

Suppose someone boards late due to a late connecting flight and their regulation size carry-on doesn't fit? Are they going to get charged?
I was on a DL flight Sunday and the gate agent announced that there is a $25 fee for a gate-checked bag (if that is the second bag) and the fee was only payable by credit card.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not opposed to this fee in theory but I think it is going to make it very difficult to fly AA for the initial period of implementation. The non-elite line for checking luggage at SFO isn't exactly a pleasant experience as it is. The new policy will add quite a bit of time to process additional payment for everyone in the line. I'd like to be optimistic and say that the added revenue will go to hire more agents to speed the process but we all know that isn't true.

Also, everyone is going to try to carry as much as possible on board, which is going to slow both the security checkpoints and boarding. Assuming people do bring on luggage that doesn't fit, how will AA process payment?

Sounds like flying AA will be pretty chaotic over the next few months.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rmc1
Hey, why not charge to use the bathroom. Not everyone uses it. Why should I pay for it when I don't use it? Same thing for air sickness bag, they can sell them too. I don't use the reading light either.....
Clearly it's possible to take an argument to an absurd extreme. Sigh...

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Please, if Southwest were really that great and cheap all the time, then the legacies should have lost most leisure travelers' business a long time ago. Yet Southwest maintains load factors that are well below legacy carriers. Clearly some people don't like Southwest or else everyone will be flying them already.
Southwest isn't cheap all the time. Matter of fact, not even most of the time.

What they don't do, though, is insult their customers; they usually try to treat their customers like human beings rather than self-propelled cargo. Their fare model is open, and the rules are easy to (a) find and (b) understand. When you fly WN, you know you're not buying a "full-service" experience, but neither are they going to try to screw you.

And charging for the first checked bag is an insulting screwjob.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:08 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by inlanikai
My thought exactly. ^

So, how long will it take for the millions of non-elites to figure out how to beat the $15 (or $25 if it's the second bag) and bring the bag on board knowing it will likely be gate-checked and not pay the fee? Don't expect the FA's to collect it and risk getting into an arguement or the GA's who are under constant pressure to push back on time.

This is going to fun to watch from the comfort of my F seat.
Not to mention having people bring their too big carry ones onboard slows down the boarding process, delaying planes and aggravating passengers. If I had my way, they would be non-frequent fliers for bringing suitcases and large bags on board. It would clear out the overhead bins for those of us who need them and would speed the boarding process.

I don't like the extra fees and wish that AA would just incorporate them into the next fare increases. If anything all of these extra fees are just going to annoy customers to no end who will bug their congress-critters to do something about it. I would surprised if by the end of the year there wasn't a substantial effort underway to partially re-regulate the industry. If it brought a saner pricing system, restoration of lost inflight service and profitability back to the industry.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:10 am

Yet Southwest maintains load factors that are well below legacy carriers.
I attribute that to their frequency on short hops and not a lack of demand for their product.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: Legend in my own mind
Originally Posted by iahphx
Unit revenue is going to have to rise 20% to cover these crazy fuel prices. Even if the oil bubble doesn't plunge the economy into recession, you're going to get a significant drop off in customers (particularly leisure customers) when you raise fares another 20 or 25 percent. That's what the airlines are planning for. There's really not any alternative, until the oil speculation stops.
Oil prices are not coming down - ever.

Airlines are basically eliminating the vacation/leisure traveler with fare and fee increases. It's over.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rjque
Also, everyone is going to try to carry as much as possible on board, which is going to slow both the security checkpoints and boarding. Assuming people do bring on luggage that doesn't fit, how will AA process payment?
They will charge them at the gate if it is outside of the size allowed. But even if everyone carries on an allowed carry-on there will still be chaos because there will always be gate checking (which should still be free) because there isn't enough space.

This will put even more stress on the FAs - something that isn't going to help the labor problems.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Very surprised at this, although brp's post (as usual) makes a lot of sense. I do agree, though, that it will cause boarding chaos initially.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ndhapple
I would surprised if by the end of the year there wasn't a substantial effort underway to partially re-regulate the industry. If it brought a saner pricing system, restoration of lost inflight service and profitability back to the industry.
I think you may be right, an effort to re-regulate in some format may be in the near future. However, what would that do to FF programs? Nothing good IMHO
Old May 21, 2008, 9:18 am

I agree with you on this.
I guess you think that there should be a charge to carry-on a bag too?

There must be a line where the fees stop right? I mean, at some point the fares have to get raised to a level that can keep the airlines in business.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Full Service no longer exists

Funny, the line between what was once full-service and discount is not only blurred, it has reversed (if that makes sense).

I am *A Gold, Oneworld Sapphire, and Skyteam Elite. However, I do most of my personal travel on WN, especially as I have a companion pass. When I dont' have to connect, WN is as pleasant as any other carrier. I rarely check bags, but I do see this will become a logistical nightmare.

A better way to implement this is to charge everyone the extra $15 and put it in your flightcredits account (or give you extra miles if you don't check bags). That way, they don't have to go through the hassle of collecting all of the $$, and those who don't check bags will eventually get enough credit to buy a ticket or subsidize another one.

Travelling overseas a lot, American carriers have a lot to learn. The service is sub-par, but the standby rules are much better. I think the standby rules will be the next victim in this costcutting.

I think one of the major problems is these legacies have very high cost structures and have problems supporting them. They need to really consider servicing all of the small markets. Why does every city need an airport? Why not do it European style and have major airports and good high speed trains/ or even trains that will get you to those airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.