Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by jAAck
Count me as one who's not affected by the pricing of this policy change, but we'll all be impacted by the increase in the amount of carry-on bags. For those elites who ever happen to visit a baggage claim think about the number of small bags that come down the belt. We'll start seeing many of these on the plane as opposed to under them.

I can certainly appreciate the dilemma AA and all airlines find themselves in with the high cost of fuel. What I don't get is the way this baggage issue is approached. It doesn't cost AA any more in fuel (in labor, probably yes) to carry a bag in cargo than it does in the overhead. Why not start charging by weight, no matter where the bag is? First 30lbs free, for example, and escalating charges after that. That would not only encourage people to carry less, which would save fuel, but would also not incent passengers to carry on the kitchen sink.
exactly, it still costs the same in either case just people will start trying to carry on the normal rollaboard + their expandable gym bag as a 'personal item'

Just add $15 to the ticket costs for everyone.....come on, stop charging fees like this it makes a full service carrier look stupid.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:37 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyAA
A $20 connection bag transfer convenience fee would fit in quite nicely, and it goes up to $50 to expedite a close connection.
Soon they will start charging this and we will be able to confirm they read these boards for additional fees ideAAs.

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,
I hope the "first checked bag fee" means tougher enforcement of hand luggage rules. Considering what some people already drag on the plane as "hand luggage" this new rule will be madness.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lehms
lets see what happens after Southwests brilliant fuel hedge comes off, me thinks may be a tad tough for them to keep the streak alive
WN maintains significant power in the market and will most certainly match capacity/pricing to maintain an adequate level of profitability.

Their streak will likely end at some point though.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:40 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:41 pm
Old May 21, 2008, 8:40 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
to think southwest started this by charging for the third bag. they must be laughing as the legacies begin to push price conscious travelers into their arms. the airlines are not the only ones affected by todays economic situation and as they start charging more those, both individuals and businesses, will start looking at their costs and imho southwest stands to come out seriously on top.
anybody know what percentage of aa's routes overlap with wn.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Steph3n
exactly, it still costs the same in either case just people will start trying to carry on the normal rollaboard + their expandable gym bag as a 'personal item'

Just add $15 to the ticket costs for everyone.....come on, stop charging fees like this it makes a full service carrier look stupid.
While I think that the new fee will impact the cabin stowage (and I do care about that), I disagree with your approach. I'm all in favor of having people pay for what they use, rather than having to subsidize it. This is in principle, of course, as the $15 doesn't really matter than much to me in reality.

They reduced prices and stopped serving food in Y; those that want food can buy it. They eliminated drinks in Y on international flights; those that want a drink can buy one. They added a fee for the second bag; want to check two bags- pay for it. This is just the same philosophy. If I don't check a bag, why should I pay for yours (you, in the general sense ).

Let's not try to make this appear any different than what it is. The airline industry in the US has become a pay-for-service proposition. It's not going to change. We can either accept it with a sigh or b$%@& and moan about it.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
I've always thought this was the direction it was all headed as well. You arrive at the ticket counter and everything goes on the scale (except yourself, that might be Phase II) and you are allowed a certain amount and you pay for overage. Domestic allowance would be less than international. It will have to be some kind of supervised process like the self-check-out at Wal-Mart. They won't be able to staff enough for airline personnel to do all the weighing/verifying, but they will have lurkers checking to make sure each person weighs all that they have with them.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by autopilot
I hope the "first checked bag fee" means tougher enforcement of hand luggage rules. Considering what some people already drag on the plane as "hand luggage" this new rule will be madness.
My initial thoughts as well. The overhead compartments will only be more full now with non-elites trying to carry as much as they can onboard.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jAAck
First 30lbs free, for example, and escalating charges after that. That would not only encourage people to carry less, which would save fuel, but would also not incent passengers to carry on the kitchen sink.
How would you implement that? Where would passengers pay -- at the aircraft door? After all, I can easily increase my carry-on weight after check-in (if that's where you want to weigh it) through airport purchases or simply by not showing the TA all my stuff.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,
I heard the "$20 connection bag transfer convenience fee" is only charged when the luggage makes it onto your connection flight. That happens so rarely that we actually don't have to worry.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by autopilot
I heard the "$20 connection bag transfer convenience fee" is only charged when the luggage makes it onto your connection flight. That happens so rarely that we actually don't have to worry.

But you will be charged $50 baggage tracing fee to find your delayed baggage.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by Steph3n

I would venture to say that once you start charging for the first checked bag, you are no longer a "full-service carrier."

This is Ryanair-style bullcrap. I would have expected it out of US or NW, maybe UA the way they're heading. Not AA.

(And, for that matter, not even WN. They don't make a habit of insulting their customers; you get what you pay for. And the capability to check a bag so you can take 3 days worth of clothes, a change of shoes, a full bottle of shampoo and a pocketknife to your destination damn well ought to be part of a $300 airfare.)
Old May 21, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at my personal item carryon everyone!

http://static.backcountry.com/images...E0027/CLRD.jpg

It even carrys my lAAptop!

http://www.lunchboxcomputers.com/images/LC5100Side.jpg

Actually I joke about this, but I have seen someone bringing two of these huge packs on and trying to stuff them in the overhead, only problem was they took the entire bin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.