Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR-huge domestic fleet capacity reduction, $15 fee first checked bag... (consol)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
The interplay between carryon bin space and charges for luggage will be interesting. As an elite, I'm now going to have to give more attention to being at the gate before boarding, under the assumption that elite boarding is the only way to guaranty my rollaboard a spot in the bin.

Will AA charge for over-sized "carry on" luggage that is gate checked?
Old May 21, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming soon to an airplane fuselage exterior near you:

Prime Advertising Space for Rent

Call 1-800-AMR-RENT

Old May 21, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
UA management had already announced a 9 percent reduction in domestic capacity for the fall. And UA was the one that started the $25 second bag fee, so not sure how UA's team is sitting on their thumbs.
I agree. UA was actually the one being more proactive with AA the follower. Also, don't foget the $150 change fee that UA implemeted a few weeks ago that AA just matched this week.

UA kicked this round off and AA is following.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
At least the 500 mile minimum remains untouched, for now. ^
Old May 21, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by chicagorich
Coming soon to an airplane fuselage exterior near you:

Prime Advertising Space for Rent

Call 1-800-AMR-RENT

and seatback 1-900-RENT-AMR, we even get you good if you're interested!

while they are at it, move EXP CS to a 900 number too, might as well make a few bucks on that call!
Old May 21, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
And the subtle and sometimes silly UA cheerleading continues

mike
I take offense to that. I was merely pointing out inaccuracies in another poster's post. And I supported it with fact. How is that cheerleading?
Old May 21, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Pet fees are now showing as $100 (in-cabin) and $150 (checked).
Old May 21, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
to think southwest started this by charging for the third bag. they must be laughing as the legacies begin to push price conscious travelers into their arms. the airlines are not the only ones affected by todays economic situation and as they start charging more those, both individuals and businesses, will start looking at their costs and imho southwest stands to come out seriously on top.
anybody know what percentage of aa's routes overlap with wn.
Please, if Southwest were really that great and cheap all the time, then the legacies should have lost most leisure travelers' business a long time ago. Yet Southwest maintains load factors that are well below legacy carriers. Clearly some people don't like Southwest or else everyone will be flying them already.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
and seatback 1-900-RENT-AMR, we even get you good if you're interested!

while they are at it, move EXP CS to a 900 number too, might as well make a few bucks on that call!
Oohhh...charge people simply for showing an interest in your product...

You should send your resume to the Revenue Management Dept at AA..!

Old May 21, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
While I think that the new fee will impact the cabin stowage (and I do care about that), I disagree with your approach. I'm all in favor of having people pay for what they use, rather than having to subsidize it. This is in principle, of course, as the $15 doesn't really matter than much to me in reality.

They reduced prices and stopped serving food in Y; those that want food can buy it. They eliminated drinks in Y on international flights; those that want a drink can buy one. They added a fee for the second bag; want to check two bags- pay for it. This is just the same philosophy. If I don't check a bag, why should I pay for yours (you, in the general sense ).

Let's not try to make this appear any different than what it is. The airline industry in the US has become a pay-for-service proposition. It's not going to change. We can either accept it with a sigh or b$%@& and moan about it.

Cheers.
I agree with you on this.

Actually the buy-on-board model is one of the success stories of this decade. Turn a costly item into one that actually generates profit.
Old May 21, 2008, 8:59 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
It's great that they are charging for every single bag now, as it won't affect me for business travel, but some people might think twice when planning family vacations.

My mother-in-law is the reason these policies are created
Old May 21, 2008, 9:00 am
Suspended

Please, if Southwest were really that great and cheap all the time, then the legacies should have lost most leisure travelers' business a long time ago. Yet Southwest maintains load factors that are well below legacy carriers. Clearly some people don't like Southwest or else everyone will be flying them already.
Yet WN remains more profitable at lower LF! If they need to fill up their planes to 110% LF (ahem UA) to be profitable, they'd charge even less to boost traffic.

The reality is, they don't need to. Even more to their benefit, they have plenty of room to shift or reduce capacity while continuing to grow traffic.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by CO FF
Will AA charge for over-sized "carry on" luggage that is gate checked?
My thought exactly. ^

So, how long will it take for the millions of non-elites to figure out how to beat the $15 (or $25 if it's the second bag) and bring the bag on board knowing it will likely be gate-checked and not pay the fee? Don't expect the FA's to collect it and risk getting into an arguement or the GA's who are under constant pressure to push back on time.

This is going to fun to watch from the comfort of my F seat.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by brp
While I think that the new fee will impact the cabin stowage (and I do care about that), I disagree with your approach. I'm all in favor of having people pay for what they use, rather than having to subsidize it. This is in principle, of course, as the $15 doesn't really matter than much to me in reality.

They reduced prices and stopped serving food in Y; those that want food can buy it. They eliminated drinks in Y on international flights; those that want a drink can buy one. They added a fee for the second bag; want to check two bags- pay for it. This is just the same philosophy. If I don't check a bag, why should I pay for yours (you, in the general sense ).
Hey, why not charge to use the bathroom. Not everyone uses it. Why should I pay for it when I don't use it? Same thing for air sickness bag, they can sell them too. I don't use the reading light either.....

Like someone else said, AA is now like RyanAir and not a full service carrier.

Suppose someone boards late due to a late connecting flight and their regulation size carry-on doesn't fit? Are they going to get charged?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Regardless of what Southwest's load factors are, they have proven to be profitable flying with those load factors, so I'm not sure what your point is.

It's inarguable some people don't like Southwest, but it's pricing decisions like charging for the first bag (when Southwest doesn't even charge for the second bag!) and raising change fees to $150 (when Southwest doesn't even have change fees!) that will only make Southwest more popular. I don't think the money-losing legacies can really afford to cede any passengers to still profitable Southwest at this point ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.