Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:09 am

I've done it multiple times. It will take you from the moment the doors of the aircraft doors opens exactly 20 minutes to be at your departing gate (incl. baggage check)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:17 am

Thanks all. I've now booked the flights.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:53 am

Connecting at Heathrow

I am arriving on an AA flight at LHR terminal 3.
I am departing on a BA flight to a UK domestic airport from terminal 5. (the BA flight is listed on my itinerary, I am not 100% sure if they will check bags through to final destination).
Any ideas on if my bags will get checked through and how exactly does the flow through customs go?

I read the heathrow website, which is pretty detailed, but I didn't see anything about getting luggage before customs, etc. and it was a little confusing.

Any explanation from those who have done this?

Thanks.
Chris
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Assuming your AA and BA sectors are issued as a single ticket, your bags will be checked through. No need to do anything until you get to your final destination in the UK. Connecting bags will be delivered to the same carousel as the domestic checked bags from the same flight, though you're supposed to exit through the appropriate declare/nothing to declare lane.

At LHR, the T3-T5 connection is pretty straightforward. Just follow the purple "flight connections" signs after you deplane and board the appropriate bus.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Terminal 3 International Connecting to Terminal 5 Domestic
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...nal-5-domestic
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ht-connections for a video, step-by-step instructions.

Your bags will be checked through even if the AA and BA sectors are ticketed separately, if they can see by boarding pass, itinerary, etc.

The LHR connections thread (and wiki) have good information; the BAA link above and in the wiki will walk you through the process.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 2, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 3:14 pm

Will BA put me on a later connecting flight if I have split tickets and my connection was within MCT?

Arriving LHR from USA in F on AA at 08:05 on a work day. Hand baggage only. I need to buy a separate onwards ticket on BA (DUB). While flights are frequent, there is a gap in the middle of the day, so my two choices are 10:25 (a 2:20 connection) or 13:25 (a 5:20 connection). It seems as though the 2:20 is a legal connection and should be enough time if my inbound flight is not significantly delayed, and the shorter connection would be preferred. But it's not clear to me from the thread whether BA would, in this case, put me on a later flight if space is available if I misconnect. I know that AA provides such protection on one world connections to AA metal, but searching has not revealed whether BA will do the same as a matter of policy or practice on a non-through ticket.

A separate question -- I hold a USA passport. Will BA allow me to do OLCI and obtain a boarding pass for the LHR-DUB segment, so that I can skip the ticket counter during transfer, or will I need to stop? I feel like I've done USA-LHR-EU connections frequently, including T3 to T5 but for some reason I never remember exactly what's involved; I just sort of follow the signs like a sheep and then forget it. :0)

The five hour connection wouldn't be horrible. I could use the lounge, not worry about trying to get early check in in Dublin, etc., but all other things being equal if I'm protected by BA I probably would take my chances with a 2:20 connection.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Will BA put me on a later connecting flight if I have split tickets and my connection was within MCT?

Arriving LHR from USA in F on AA at 08:05 on a work day. Hand baggage only. I need to buy a separate onwards ticket on BA (DUB). While flights are frequent, there is a gap in the middle of the day, so my two choices are 10:25 (a 2:20 connection) or 13:25 (a 5:20 connection). It seems as though the 2:20 is a legal connection and should be enough time if my inbound flight is not significantly delayed, and the shorter connection would be preferred. But it's not clear to me from the thread whether BA would, in this case, put me on a later flight if space is available if I misconnect. I know that AA provides such protection on one world connections to AA metal, but searching has not revealed whether BA will do the same as a matter of policy or practice on a non-through ticket.

A separate question -- I hold a USA passport. Will BA allow me to do OLCI and obtain a boarding pass for the LHR-DUB segment, so that I can skip the ticket counter during transfer, or will I need to stop? I feel like I've done USA-LHR-EU connections frequently, including T3 to T5 but for some reason I never remember exactly what's involved; I just sort of follow the signs like a sheep and then forget it. :0)

The five hour connection wouldn't be horrible. I could use the lounge, not worry about trying to get early check in in Dublin, etc., but all other things being equal if I'm protected by BA I probably would take my chances with a 2:20 connection.
Wouldn't this be better asked in the BAEC Forum? They know BA policies better than we would.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
You will definitely get more info in the BA forum, but I can tell you that although there have been occasions where BA has protected pax on OW connections, it is not their policy and depends on the agent.

From my own experience, LHR connections desk was far more helpful than phone and/or lounge agents. Having said that, I have both been told to buy another ticket and been rebooked.

So basically, no guarantees.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Wouldn't this be better asked in the BAEC Forum? They know BA policies better than we would.
Sorry, I was posting here because of the quote below, which appeared to be in response to a question where the poster was asking about split tickets, and I was sort of hoping for clarification. I now see, though, that this exchange is nearly 2 years old not recent! :0)

Originally Posted by nbevan
Connecting from AA to BA you are only protected against missed connections if within MCT, so only a good strategy if you are prepared to risk losing the earlier ticket and paying for the later flexible ticket.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Sorry, I was posting here because of the quote below, which appeared to be in response to a question where the poster was asking about split tickets, and I was sort of hoping for clarification. I now see, though, that this exchange is nearly 2 years old not recent! :0)
No apology necessary; I just want you to have the best information so you can make the most informed choice. I'd hate getting burned if my second ticket wasn't honored because of my delayed arrival.

It looks like you have some replies from seasoned BA travellers here, too.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
It certainly seems like AA's policy would cover this situation.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old May 18, 2015, 7:39 am

I couldn't find this question answered elsewhere. My wife and I are flying MUC-LHR-JFK this summer. Because of award availability, we are on the same flight from MUC-LHR and different flights from LHR-JFK. I am flying AA J and she is in BA F. I presume that we will arrive at LHR in T5A and then I will depart from T3 and she will depart from T5 (probably B or C). Our layover is four hours and I have no OW status. Here are my questions:

1. Upon arrival in T5, will I be able to access the T5 lounges with my T3 boarding pass?
2. Will my wife be able to guest me into the T5 lounges with her F boarding pass if I have a T3 boarding pass.
3. Assuming I can make #1 and #2 happen, how difficult is it to get from the T5A lounge area to T3?
Old May 18, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You will not be allowed into the departures area of T5 without an onward flight from T5.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
You will not be allowed into the departures area of T5 without an onward flight from T5.
What if I buy a refundable ticket for late in the day, OLCI and then use that to get into T5. Can I then exit T5 to go to T3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.