Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by brp
T3 is an odd duck here. No passport nor BP check. Anyone in the Flight Connections area could enter T3, whether having a flight from there or not.

Cheers.
I've not connected to T4 in over 10 years, but when I used to do T1 from a UA flight there was no such check at the T1 connection area either; may change now that we have the new T2 terminal. It's technically redundant, I suppose, as they always check that the gate anyway, and there are ways you can exit the departure lounge, even if they are a bit complicated. T1 and T3 were built years ago and there is no room for a BP check facility, so they just don't do it.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I am sitting in T1 now and can confirm there is no permanent passport or boarding pass check for transfer passengers entering the terminal. The transfer desks are immediately after it anyhow.

UK Border Agency does set up random checks from time to time when the urge strikes them.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: American Air
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
<redacted>

Your bags will be tagged at RDU to CDG, and interlined to British Airways at LHR. In regards to a connection, your AA flight will arrive in Terminal 3, all British Airways flights to CDG depart from Terminal 5. Upon deplaning follow purple signs (and the crowd) to flight connections, proceed to the bus (coach as the British say) for a 5-10 minute ride to T5. Upon arrival you'll have a passport and security check then be situated on the departures level of terminal 5. Overall it's a more painful and less seamless process at LHR than other European aiports like FRA, MUC, or ZRH IME.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for the solid info.
Will I get the connecting BP for BA to CDG when I get on AA174 at RDU? Or do I pick it up somewhere along the way in leaving T3 and entering T5? Same question in reverse: when I arrive at LHR from CDG on BA, when do I/did I get the BP for the connecting AA173 back to RDU?
Many thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
In each case you should get both boarding passes at the check-in desk for your first flight. In the event you only get your first boarding pass, outbound you will visit the BA desk after you enter T5 but before security, and coming back you can get it from the AA transfer desk in T3 after security, or the AAdmirals Club if you have access.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:00 pm

I would definitely change to the earlier flight. We have reserved assistance at Heathrow many times, and quite often, it is still not there upon arrival. Waiting for assistance there seems to be the norm.

Originally Posted by OsoJoe
I just found out that there is a schedule change on flight 78 to LHR. The schedule change only gives us 90 minutes for a connection from T3 to T5. I've done this before and normally this wouldn't be a problem. We just found out that my wife and I are expecting our first child and she will be 5 months pregnant when we are taking this flight so running is not going to happen. She also wants 2 seats alone and the only ones left are on row 40 of a 77W which means we won't be the first ones off the plane either. With this in mind, are there any special condition assistance for short connections or can I call AA and request to be changed to the earlier BA flight that lands at T5 even though we are still in a valid connection time?
Old May 23, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
LHR Connection Time

I'm coming home from NAP on a 3 segment OW itinerary (AB Naples-MUC; BA MUC-LHR; AA LHR-JFK) in July. My connection time in LHR (T5--T3) is 95 minutes. I am AA PLT. How stressful is that connection and will my baggage be checked through to Kennedy from NAP. Do we stay airside/transfer desk/customs/etc...? Just trying to get a plan in my head to make it as smooth as possible. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2013, 2:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Check out this link for the instructions on the transfer process. You can even print it out to have on you while you travel:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ween-terminals

As far as the tightness, 95 is on the tighter side of things but isn't too bad. The transfer process is pretty seamless.

You should get priority luggage tags as OW Saph on AB and then on BA (might have to ask them for the tag tho). Their effectiveness? Unknown.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
90 would stress me out because there is little room for unexpected delays. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; May 24, 2013 at 5:32 am Reason: Removed circular link post merge
Old May 23, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Thanks for the input! Quick question: will my baggage be checked through to JFK? (I'm on one itinerary)
Old May 23, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Yes it will be, since its one ticket and all airlines are OW. Shouldn't be any problem. You won't have to deal with the checked baggage at LHR.

This thread has some specific info on CBP at JFK: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ation-jfk.html
Old May 23, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
You should be good especially since your baggage will be directed without your input. 95 minutes is fine...unless you begin circling LHR for an excessive period. Then it could make it a little more fun. I've done MUC-LHR three times on BA - only once did we circle a long time (50 minutes). Still made my connection but it was close.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
I agree that you will be fine. Granted I go T3 to T5 and not the other way, but should be relatively the same.

I have also checked bags all the way through on different airlines and not had problems.

Of course delays can occur, but if on-time you will be good.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your bags should be checked all the way through to JFK and you should get all your boarding passes at NAP. You will go through security at NAP, passport control for leaving Schengen at MUC, then on landing at LHR T5 take the airside bus to T3, reclear security and then perhaps a brief stop at the AAdmirals Club before hustling to your gate. 95 minutes should not be a problem connection and assuming it's all the one ticket you will be rebooked if you misconnect.

If you don't get your LHR-JFK boarding pass before LHR then you can get it at the lounge there. Make sure you have a printout of your itinerary as the LHR staff occasionally ask to see it.

Note also that MMW body scanners are in operation at the T3 transit checkpoint and unlike the US there is no facility to opt out.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by stifle
Note also that MMW body scanners are in operation at the T3 transit checkpoint and unlike the US there is no facility to opt out.
After many transits through that checkpoint, I have yet to be scanned. Make sure everything is out of your pockets and placed in your bags. If you don't raise WTMD alarms, your chances of being scanned are small, though non-zero. In T5, there are no scanners on the Fastrack lanes.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Jsoldati
I'm coming home from NAP on a 3 segment OW itinerary (AB Naples-MUC; BA MUC-LHR; AA LHR-JFK) in July. My connection time in LHR (T5--T3) is 95 minutes. I am AA PLT. How stressful is that connection and will my baggage be checked through to Kennedy from NAP. Do we stay airside/transfer desk/customs/etc...?
I've merged your new thread into the existing thread on this subject (where you had also posted the question). Please remember to post your question in just one place.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.