Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

Thoughts?

Thx
1. I wouldn't chance 1:20 since traffic into LHR is unpredictable at best. Even 15 minutes could be problematic (and it could work like a charm). Too tight, IMO.

2. This will get merged with the existing thread on this topic since we certainly don't need a new one each time someone asks the same question.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You are assuming that during the summer high season there will in fact be seats on the later flight if you can not connect and somehow will be able one; there's a likelihood you will not be able to make the connection.

The alternative pretty much assures you get out on the later flight, with some relax time in the Galleries First Lounge in T-5, perhaps a shower and a good relax (no, no Elemis Spa as you are not flying a longhaul BA or QF flight, and the AA Arrivals Lounge closes at 2:00 PM - but there are showers in T-5 Galleries if you want one.)

Many have asked similar questions - yours has been merged into the existing thread. Advanced Search "lhr"+connection, search for thread titles, return threads only. For assistance on learning how to use Search: Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread. (This helps prevent information from being fragmented and hard to find.)

/Moderator

Flying AA136 LAX-LHR in a few days. it arrives 2:15PM at T3. Ive got an F ticket

Need advice on booking an onwards connection to Germany. I have two choices:

1. Book a 3:35 departure on BA out of T5

2. Book a 7:30PM on BA out of T5.

With option 1, I will land in LHR with I a boarding pass for the flight I want... if I make it I am on the flight. Period.

If I miss it, I get put on a later flight. (Will they charge me? Prolly not, but input would be helpful)

With option 2, if I get to the BA gate or CS desk I can ask to be accomodated on the earlier flight. BA have been <redacted> in the past, and I expecty that they would only do so if I had more than 1 hour... so I'd need to get from T3 to the T5 customer service desk and beg.

Now, it isnt MCT compliant.... lets not get bogged down in that.

Also, worse case I buy a Y ticket on the later flight...

Thoughts?

Thx
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by brp
1. I wouldn't chance 1:20 since traffic into LHR is unpredictable at best. Even 15 minutes could be problematic (and it could work like a charm). Too tight, IMO.

2. This will get merged with the existing thread on this topic since we certainly don't need a new one each time someone asks the same question.

Cheers.
(Question was about ticketing strategy and not 'transfer', but fine with it being filed here... )

I can buy a ticket on the later flight tonight, or tomorrow, refundable, if space on the flight is tight... thereby assuring that I will have a seat. Only a couple of hundred dollars worst case if I actually had to use it... So I am not overly concerned with a seat on the later flight. They'll put me on the later flight, or I'll use a separately purchased ticket.

The issue/question I was asking was a ticketing/standby strategy (not an LHR transfer question...) How will BA behave? I beleive that if I book the later flight there is 0 chance BA will let me get on the earlier flight (even with OW 'status'). If I book the early, then BA has no say on my getting on the earlier flight, and it is entirely driven by arrival time and how quickly I can hoof it off the plane and over to T5.

Thx

A

PS I've been through LHR T3/T5 five RTs this year, so I know the territory- while the showers and food is nice, I'd rather shower and have room service in Berlin!

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The shower in Berlin is probably going to be a lot nicer...

OK, as I get it, you can keep the existing and buy a refundable ticket for the second flight and... etc. cancel if needed. (Just be sure if you misconnect they do not "do you a favour" and cancel your return arrangements).

Because I agree, BA is unlikely to let you get on the earlier flight with a later ticket, at least in my experience; they do seem sticky about "the rules".

(Question was about ticketing strategy and not 'transfer', but fine with it being lost here... )

I can buy a ticket on the later flight tonight, or tomorrow, refundable, if space on the flight is tight... thereby assuring that I will have a seat. Only a couple of hundred dollars worst case if I actually had to use it... So I am not overly concerned with a seat on the later flight. They'll put me on the later flight, or I'll use a separately purchased ticket.

The issue/question I was asking was a ticketing/standby strategy (not an LHR transfer question...) How will BA behave? I beleive that if I book the later flight there is 0 chance BA will let me get on the earlier flight. If I book the early, then BA has no say and it is entirely driven by arrival time and how quickly I can hoof it off the plane and over to T5.

Thx

A

PS I've been through LHR T3/T5 five RTs this year, so I know the territory- while the showers and food is nice, I'd rather shower and have room service in Berlin!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Flying AA136 LAX-LHR in a few days. it arrives 2:15PM at T3. Ive got an F ticket

Need advice on booking an onwards connection to Germany. I have two choices:

1. Book a 3:35 departure on BA out of T5

2. Book a 7:30PM on BA out of T5.

With option 1, I will land in LHR with I a boarding pass for the flight I want... if I make it I am on the flight. Period.

If I miss it, I get put on a later flight. (Will they charge me? Prolly not, but input would be helpful)

With option 2, if I get to the BA gate or CS desk I can ask to be accomodated on the earlier flight. BA have been <redacted> in the past, and I expecty that they would only do so if I had more than 1 hour... so I'd need to get from T3 to the T5 customer service desk and beg.

Now, it isnt MCT compliant.... lets not get bogged down in that.

Also, worse case I buy a Y ticket on the later flight...

Thoughts?

Thx
Connecting from AA to BA you are only protected against missed connections if within MCT, so only a good strategy if you are prepared to risk losing the earlier ticket and paying for the later flexible ticket.

BA (and other European airlines) will only transfer you to an earlier flight if the later flight is delayed or overbooked.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
A recent post asking about a transfer from Delta to British Airways has been moved along with its replies to a new thread in the UK and Ireland forum:

LHR transfer: DL in T3 to BA in T5, will I make it?

Please follow the discussion there.

~Moderator
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
I have a connection arriving at T5 from Berlin at 8AM on Friday August 29th.

My connecting flight to MIA is at T3 at 9:45AM

Is 1 hour and 45 minutes ok???
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Valmiki
I have a connection arriving at T5 from Berlin at 8AM on Friday August 29th.

My connecting flight to MIA is at T3 at 9:45AM

Is 1 hour and 45 minutes ok???
If the Berlin flight lands on time, you should make it but it will be very busy at that time, so don't dawdle.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:39 am

LHR connection times

Would this be too tight?

AA JFK-LHR arr 6:20a
BA LHR-VIE dep 7:50a

AA will let me book it, but it makes me a bit nervous.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I would do it, if you happen to miss the VIE flight, BA should be able to put you on the next available flight that day (space available).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:01 am

There is another flight at 9:55a.

It would be in business and I'm PLT, which might help.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also the BA flight to VIE leaves from T3 ( not T5) the same terminal as AA arrives so you do not have to change terminals.

I think the MCT for T3-T3 is 60mins so 90mins should be ok.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Also the BA flight to VIE leaves from T3 ( not T5) the same terminal as AA arrives so you do not have to change terminals.

I think the MCT for T3-T3 is 60mins so 90mins should be ok.

Regards

TBS
but you do have to go thru security, which I have found can either be 5 minutes or 50 minutes.. depending on the time of day and day of the week
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
but you do have to go thru security, which I have found can either be 5 minutes or 50 minutes.. depending on the time of day and day of the week
6:20am on a Tuesday
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:16 am

Should be fine. I'd have no hesitation in booking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.