Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Note that the T5 to T3 bus, starting at 5A, now makes a stop in 5B on the way to T3. Although I knew this already, on my last trip I wasn't paying attention and just followed the Flight Connection signs, which led me to the train from B to A to catch the bus from A, thereby wasting about 10 minutes. I'm not sure now what the correct path was from B arrivals directly to the transfer bus, but anyone making this connection should look for it.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Note that the T5 to T3 bus, starting at 5A, now makes a stop in 5B on the way to T3. Although I knew this already, on my last trip I wasn't paying attention and just followed the Flight Connection signs, which led me to the train from B to A to catch the bus from A, thereby wasting about 10 minutes. I'm not sure now what the correct path was from B arrivals directly to the transfer bus, but anyone making this connection should look for it.
I did not know about this.

Sounds strange to me since the need to transfer from T5B to T3 is not as common, is it?

T5B is used almost exclusively for BA widebodies, i.e. long haul, therefore I can see only a few scenarios with the need of T5B-T3 transfers that would not justify an extra stop of the shuttle at T5B?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by carlosdca
T5B is used almost exclusively for BA widebodies, i.e. long haul, therefore I can see only a few scenarios with the need of T5B-T3 transfers that would not justify an extra stop of the shuttle at T5B?
I'd say about a third to half of the buses are now stopping at 5B to pick up passengers. One popular route seems to be USA to Warsaw, for example; the other is India to USA on AA. Also some transfers are onwards to Virgin's domestic services. But it's usually one passenger or two, compared to say a dozen starting at 5A.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes, relatively few passengers getting on at B (although I wonder how many others made my mistake of going to A first). I heard the agent on the bus talking over the radio to B to get a passenger count, so maybe it only stops when needed.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Yes, relatively few passengers getting on at B (although I wonder how many others made my mistake of going to A first). I heard the agent on the bus talking over the radio to B to get a passenger count, so maybe it only stops when needed.
What signage does one follow in B to get to the bus boarding area?
Old May 25, 2013, 2:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 14940674
What signage does one follow in B to get to the bus boarding area?
Flight Connections T1, T3, T4. On the lower level head towards the glass doors facing into C terminal (easier said than done I know!). But it is signposted, and the purple clad staff from the airport will indicate where to go.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Advice for award GLA-ORD, transfer GLA-LHR

I've been piecing some itinerary for an ultimate ORD-LHR-GLA-ORD trip.
I booked the LHR-GLA on BA as a bridge, hoping to come home from GLA.
There seems to be either no service or no availability on GLA-ORD late next month. I called AA and they confirmed nothing available because there's no BA availability.

There is availability LHR-ORD, but I would need to get through that transfer process, security and all.

What would be the minimal time between landing on BA and taking off on AA that would make this work at LHR?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Call AA or BA and ask what the "minimum connecting time (MCT)" is at LHR from BA domestic to AA international.

Another possibility: check availability on AA's seasonal DUB-ORD flight. If you have (or can get) any BA Avios, you could see about redeeming for an EI flight from GLA to DUB.

Last edited by Microwave; May 31, 2013 at 1:42 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old May 31, 2013, 1:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by clark_addison
What would be the minimal time between landing on BA and taking off on AA that would make this work at LHR?
I've gone ahead and merged your question into the consolidated thread on this topic, which I was able to do by doing an advanced search, in thread titles only, for the term "{LHR}" without quotes. Good luck with your transfer!

~Moderator
Old May 31, 2013, 3:34 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd say about a third to half of the buses are now stopping at 5B to pick up passengers. One popular route seems to be USA to Warsaw, for example; the other is India to USA on AA. Also some transfers are onwards to Virgin's domestic services. But it's usually one passenger or two, compared to say a dozen starting at 5A.
Why is there no mention or guidance in respect of this facility on the Heathrow Airport Connections Info website?
Old May 31, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Why is there no mention or guidance in respect of this facility on the Heathrow Airport Connections Info website?
My guess is that the overall guidance remains good and consistent: follow the purple signs for "Flight Connections T3". If you are in T5B this will get you the short cut. There are all sorts of details not on that website, I guess it can be made too complex, and if anyone really loves to do research then that is something for which Flyertalk is best suited.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:41 am

The airside MCT is 75 or 90 minutes depending on flight numbers, 2 hours would be very comfortable. It can be done in 30 minutes physically: 5 minutes walk from T5 Domestic arrival to the Flight Connection bus, 5 minute bus wait, 10 minute bus journey, 10 minutes in T3 Flight Connection security. The last component can vary from 1 minute to 20 minutes.

Even if you have checked baggage and 2 PNRs you will be able to do this airside and check your baggage from GLA to ORD, so long as all sectors are oneworld.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the info! I was worried about having to re-check bags and going through security again!
Old May 31, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Thanks for the info! I was worried about having to re-check bags and going through security again!
You do have to go through security again. If you had chosen BA from LHR-ORD, you would not have to (except perhaps at the gate if selected).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Best strategy for making tight connection LHR (T3-T5)

Flying AA136 LAX-LHR in a few days. it arrives 2:15PM at T3. Ive got an F ticket

Need advice on booking an onwards connection to Germany. I have two choices:

1. Book a 3:35 departure on BA out of T5

2. Book a 7:30PM on BA out of T5.

With option 1, I will land in LHR with I a boarding pass for the flight I want... if I make it I am on the flight. Period.

If I miss it, I get put on a later flight. (Will they charge me? Prolly not, but input would be helpful)

With option 2, if I get to the BA gate or CS desk I can ask to be accomodated on the earlier flight. BA have been <redacted> in the past, and I expecty that they would only do so if I had more than 1 hour... so I'd need to get from T3 to the T5 customer service desk and beg.

Now, it isnt MCT compliant.... lets not get bogged down in that.

Also, worse case I buy a Y ticket on the later flight...

Thoughts?

Thx

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.