Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long

I just got to Japan. It's my first time. Still trying to adjust from that much flying. Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts on my experience on my flight over.

STX (home)->MIA was short and ok. MIA->LAX was good. FAs were nice. I was very tired but the FAs were on their game 100%. (ex: a cup of water spilled while I was asleep and as I started to explain what happened the FA finished my sentence and brought over stuff to help clean it). It was a very good experience despite that incident.

But LAX->NRT wasn't the same. I wanted to take pics during the flight for a trip report... as soon as I was seated I took a pic of my seat/IFE screen then a second pic looking up the isle in the 772. People were putting things away, etc so it wasn't a shot of anything or anyone in particular. Rather it was my first time in a 777 and I was just taking a pic. As usual I didn't use a flash and wasn't obvious or covert or anything about it. Just pointed up the isle while seated and clicked. I didn't think anything of it.

But then the FA stopped me and was like "you know you cant take pictures right?"

sometimes I am accused of always being to serious ... so I figured she must be kidding and just joking with me before the long flight just to be friendly. So I started smiling and said ok but noticed she had a very serious look on her face... so I asked, "are you serious?" to which she replied yes. and was looking very unhappy/mean. So at this point I thought there must be some misunderstanding or something, so I asked her why I can't take pics. She said "Because of 911 and some people dont want to be in pictures. You cant take pictures."

I was shocked. I was in 42A. The man in the seat 42C (across isle) was surprised too. Only having heard a piece of the convo and the way she was talking to me, he asked me what she was talking about. He was as confused as I as to why she'd be like that.

I was pretty mad but wasnt going to let that one FA ruin my trip.

But then during the next drink service she asked me what I wanted to drink. I politely replied figuring the incident was behind us. But I never got my drink. Two more requests later and I was able to have my apple juice.

Then on the last meal service they ran out of Pizza...which is fine. No big deal. But then her attitude towards serving me chicken and drink was even worse (although I think it only took two requests as opposed to three to get my drink) . My girlfriend (who was not there for the initial encounter) asked what I did to her and why she was so mean to us.

So what do you guys think? Was she just having a bad day and wanted to take it out on me? I've never heard of such a policy on taking pics.

Anyway, loving Tokyo so far. Service has been exemplary. Still getting adjusted though lol.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tekknikal
So what do you guys think? Was she just having a bad day and wanted to take it out on me? I've never heard of such a policy on taking pics.

Anyway, loving Tokyo so far. Service has been exemplary. Still getting adjusted though lol.
As long as you don't violate the rules against electronics under 10K feet, I don't see a problem.

It is bad enough to invent such a "rule", but to say it is because of 9/11, is just plain crazy. There is no such 9/11 rule. Did you get her name? Did you tell the purser?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
In the American Way magazine it states that it is airline policy not to take pictures or record videos in their terminals, of the aircraft or in the aircraft. Kinda sucks. I love taking pictures; but, it is their policy. She could have been nicer about it but I'm sure NRT is a senior route so the days of being cordial are long gone.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Strange response from the FA. You know there is a limit to what you could blame on 9-11!!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

no. she was so serious i felt that if i elevated the issue there's a chance i could have been removed from the flight which would have been too costly to my trip. although its largely a vacation, i need to be at a press day for the tokyo motor show tomorrow and absolutely cannot afford to miss it or create issues.

btw
it was the second time i was dealing with an ignorant AA employee. in stx i was asked if i changed my itinerary after originally being ticketed (award ticket). i had. she asked if i paid the fee... i told her according to the terms i understand for the fare type there were no fees. She typed on the computer for about 3 full minutes before then telling me i was not ticketed....

i felt lucky to have made it that far
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
in the American Way magazine, is says that photography onboard is prohibited. (at least it used to a few months ago, last time I checked). For obvious reasons, AA is concerned with pax documenting crew procedures and aircraft interiors (although these could be easily found elsewhere on the internet.). I'm wondering when 9/11 will cease to be the excuse for any arbitrary rule, though.

The FA should have politely informed you of the rule. What you received was typical (in my opinion) of AA's long haul senior FA "customer service".
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

oh i see. i stand corrected. i never thought it would be an issue. i would have appreciated it if she said that and pointed it out in the magazine but i can understand.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:19 pm

If you are taking happy snaps of your family on a flight to Hawaii, or a quick shot of your partner in a bored moment during the cruise I find FAs couldn't give two hoots about the rule.

It is when you start taking photos of the meals, the seats, other passengers, anything connected with the aircraft or the operation of the aircraft that really gets hackles raised and the FAs get jumpy and start to enforce the rule.

Unlike any other airline where the crew might not understand what you're up to, and may or may not care about it, AA does have a rule that says no photography on board and sadly it is one of those things you can't really get away from.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
[QUOTE=tekknikal;8604232]
So what do you guys think? Was she just having a bad day and wanted to take it out on me? I've never heard of such a policy on taking pics.QUOTE]

Since line assignment works on seniority and one Asian RT can give enough hours no to fly again for close to 2 weeks, many FAs on these routes are past their prime. Varicose veins and formerly significant others leaving for somebody younger are not smile enticers...

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Oct 22, 2007 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:47 pm

My wife and I just flew ZRH-JFK yesterday and the flight attendant offered to take pictures of us in our lie flat beds before the plane was buttoned up on the ground at ZRH. Needless to say, we reclined our seats to the nearly flat position and had the FA snap and snap.

On the thread about the new seats, there are many posts of the flat beds. I can't believe that anyone would and should have concerns about picture taking on an aircraft, as long as it did not interfer with the navigation system.

I wonder if you tried to draw the interior of the aircraft, if the FA would have mentioned that there was an AA policy against this practice?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I agree that the OP's FA should have politely explained the rules.

However, the flip side is that the FA's have to fly a number of flights per month. After 9/11, the relative innocence of the industry is gone. FA's have to look for "suspicious" individuals, might have to defend themselves from attackers or fight off shoebombers, and/or deal with mentally ill individuals whose families negligently let them travel alone. Not to mention that all of them lost colleagues and friends on 9/11...

You can't blame them for being a bit paranoid from time to time!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa

However, the flip side is that the FA's have to fly a number of flights per month. After 9/11, the relative innocence of the industry is gone. FA's have to look for "suspicious" individuals, might have to defend themselves from attackers or fight off shoebombers, and/or deal with mentally ill individuals whose families negligently let them travel alone. Not to mention that all of them lost colleagues and friends on 9/11...

Are you saying that because of an event unrelated to picture taking over 6 years ago, it is ok to blame that event on any rule in place?

And taking family photos relates to 9/11 paranoia in what way?

Complete diagrams of the planes are easy to find online.
Hell, Boeing even tells us what the planes are made out of.
For those interested in the cruising speed and altitude information, for targeting purposes, that is even available.

There is no "security" issue here. Pretending it is a security issue doesn't make it one.

It's a stupid rule. Fine. I can live with it.. But stating there is some security risk in taking the photos, related to 9/11 is just "plane" ridiculous.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you saying that because of an event unrelated to picture taking over 6 years ago, it is ok to blame that event on any rule in place?

And taking family photos relates to 9/11 paranoia in what way?

Complete diagrams of the planes are easy to find online.
Hell, Boeing even tells us what the planes are made out of.
For those interested in the cruising speed and altitude information, for targeting purposes, that is even available.

There is no "security" issue here. Pretending it is a security issue doesn't make it one.

It's a stupid rule. Fine. I can live with it.. But stating there is some security risk in taking the photos, related to 9/11 is just "plane" ridiculous.
So? it's a stupid rule... live with it or move on....
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:26 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by andrzej
So? it's a stupid rule... live with it or move on....
I suspect we can all 'live with it' if we have to. The issue, I think, is the discourteous manner in which this 'rule' was brought to the attention of the passenger.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by formeraa

I agree but I see nothing in this post that relates to taking of photos in the cabin of the aircraft. Using a camera is not, yet, considered the equivalent of pulling a gun or threatening a member of the flight crew. The note in American Way does not prohibit photos on board, it says photos of flight procedures or something like that. If they wanted the policy to be no photos on board they could say that, but they don't.

It sounds like the FA wasn't having a good day and took it out on a passenger. Sounds like the passenger, after expressing surprise at the promulgation of a non-existant rule, complied with the crew members instructions and was rewarded with poor service for the duration of a long flight. This, no matter how you spin it, will not cause repeat business and reflects poorly on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.