Wiki Posts
Search

Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:03 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by milksheikh
Not true -- the MTA attempted to create such a rule but dropped it in response to public comment and legal review.

The current policy (from http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm) is:
Thanks - I stand corrected!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
You can find more than "drawings" on the internet.
You can find tons of pictures and even diagrams with measurements.
My bad, I was integrating the term "drawing" from a different post while you used the word "diagram" ...

I am not convinced that taking pictures on a plane is a security issue.

What possible new info could terrorist gain that isn't easy enough to find without flying?
Maybe I've been watching the Military Channel too much, but I can think of a lot of important tactical planning that would best be achieved through first-hand surveillance. I'm not going to get into details, but skye1 has alluded to these as well. Sure there are other places you can get the info, but none as complete, detailed, and integrated as being there.

Let me use another analogy instead. Say you're preparing for a soccer game against Liverpool. Maybe you've kicked the ball around some, but you're not a pro. What's the better way to prepare? 1) Download measurements of the pitch and pictures of Steven Gerrard from the internet, or 2) Stand in the middle of the pitch during a game with a camera or video camera so that you can review it later?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks, Aleks! I stand / sit corrected - the turkeys who arrested the plane spotters were in Greece.

Originally Posted by Aleks
<snip>

The plane spotters that were arrested were taking photos of aircraft in Greece, not Turkey.

Link to Conditions of Carriage
And, skylady said it was a rule that was also printed in American Way, to paraphrase.

Originally Posted by engineroom
i am curious if this is in the Conditions of Carriage that one i am sure agrees to somewhere when purchasing a ticket

if not i am curious how something printed in American Way can be a enforced as a rule?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks, Aleks!

Link to Conditions of Carriage
And, skylady said it was a rule that was also printed in American Way, to paraphrase.
ok i don't see anything in there addressing photographs?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:36 pm

No, that's in skylady's post and is verbatim what they have in American Way. The C of C merely says we agree to whatever they say and they hope to provide us transportation services more or less when we want to get transported and to our destination, the Lord willin' and the crick don't rise - everything else falls under "security" and "interfering with a crew member."

Originally Posted by engineroom
ok i don't see anything in there addressing photographs?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
My bad, I was integrating the term "drawing" from a different post while you used the word "diagram" ...

Maybe I've been watching the Military Channel too much, but I can think of a lot of important tactical planning that would best be achieved through first-hand surveillance. I'm not going to get into details, but skye1 has alluded to these as well. Sure there are other places you can get the info, but none as complete, detailed, and integrated as being there.

Let me use another analogy instead. Say you're preparing for a soccer game against Liverpool. Maybe you've kicked the ball around some, but you're not a pro. What's the better way to prepare? 1) Download measurements of the pitch and pictures of Steven Gerrard from the internet, or 2) Stand in the middle of the pitch during a game with a camera or video camera so that you can review it later?
Is it going to be that much different if they take a picture on an AA aircraft or on one of the many airlines that permit the use of cameras?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:17 pm

Is it going to be that much different if they take a picture on an AA aircraft or on one of the many airlines that permit the use of cameras?
Fair enough. But would you prep for Liverpool by scouting Notts County?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:50 pm

I have to say that I agree with the rule. Think of it from the other (nefarious) side. Yes, you can find drawings on the internet, but if one were planning something, well, there's nothing like firsthand intelligence. And no, that shouldn't stop anyone from taking what are obviously family photos, but documenting precise layouts and protocols does raise potential risks. How do you know for sure that 9/11 was "an event unrelated to picture taking over 6 years ago"? The 9/11 Commission report states that the terrorists took a number of surveillance flights in preparation for their attacks. Do you know for a fact that none of them had cameras? And yes, maybe they could have gotten the same info with careful sketches, but a camera would be much easier, wouldn't it?

We have the same rule on the NYC subway. Of course, no one cares if some tourist takes a photo of their family on the subway, but I certainly sit up and take notice if someone starts taking multiple pix of the car/doors/emergency equipment itself with no friends around. Actually, this happened about a year ago - a closer look revealed that the photographer was wearing a conspicuous press pass around his neck, probably because of this very issue. I won't speak for Londoners and Madrid-ers, but I would guess they'd do the same.

There is no correlation between terrorism and photography; indeed many photographers can serve as a set of eyes for better security.

Besides, today many cell phones allow evil doers to take photos without notice. But cell phones have been implicated in transit bombings as they have been used as detonators; yet I hear no call to ban them on grounds of security.

When photography is outlawed, only outlaws will take photos.

Last edited by Globehopper; Oct 23, 2007 at 9:55 pm
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:12 pm

Mod hat on

This thread is beginning to go far astray and drift into TS&S territory, as opposed to discussing photography inside AA aircraft. I recommend we stick AA-related photography, sensu stricto, as opposed to philosophical and other discussions regarding footie or general security issues. Thanks!

/Mod hat off
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Globehopper
There is no correlation between terrorism and photography; indeed many photographers can serve as a set of eyes for better security.

Besides, today many cell phones allow evil doers to take photos without notice. But cell phones have been implicated in transit bombings as they have been used as detonators; yet I hear no call to ban them on grounds of security.

When photography is outlawed, only outlaws will take photos.
Well, the cellphones don't work as detonators unless they are attached to the explosives being detonated. Since the explosives are banned, there is no reason to ban phones.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by tekknikal
I just got to Japan. It's my first time. Still trying to adjust from that much flying. Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts on my experience on my flight over.

STX (home)->MIA was short and ok. MIA->LAX was good. FAs were nice. I was very tired but the FAs were on their game 100%. (ex: a cup of water spilled while I was asleep and as I started to explain what happened the FA finished my sentence and brought over stuff to help clean it). It was a very good experience despite that incident.

But LAX->NRT wasn't the same. I wanted to take pics during the flight for a trip report... as soon as I was seated I took a pic of my seat/IFE screen then a second pic looking up the isle in the 772. People were putting things away, etc so it wasn't a shot of anything or anyone in particular. Rather it was my first time in a 777 and I was just taking a pic. As usual I didn't use a flash and wasn't obvious or covert or anything about it. Just pointed up the isle while seated and clicked. I didn't think anything of it.

But then the FA stopped me and was like "you know you cant take pictures right?"

sometimes I am accused of always being to serious ... so I figured she must be kidding and just joking with me before the long flight just to be friendly. So I started smiling and said ok but noticed she had a very serious look on her face... so I asked, "are you serious?" to which she replied yes. and was looking very unhappy/mean. So at this point I thought there must be some misunderstanding or something, so I asked her why I can't take pics. She said "Because of 911 and some people dont want to be in pictures. You cant take pictures."

I was shocked. I was in 42A. The man in the seat 42C (across isle) was surprised too. Only having heard a piece of the convo and the way she was talking to me, he asked me what she was talking about. He was as confused as I as to why she'd be like that.

I was pretty mad but wasnt going to let that one FA ruin my trip.

But then during the next drink service she asked me what I wanted to drink. I politely replied figuring the incident was behind us. But I never got my drink. Two more requests later and I was able to have my apple juice.

Then on the last meal service they ran out of Pizza...which is fine. No big deal. But then her attitude towards serving me chicken and drink was even worse (although I think it only took two requests as opposed to three to get my drink) . My girlfriend (who was not there for the initial encounter) asked what I did to her and why she was so mean to us.

So what do you guys think? Was she just having a bad day and wanted to take it out on me? I've never heard of such a policy on taking pics.

Anyway, loving Tokyo so far. Service has been exemplary. Still getting adjusted though lol.
Evidently, according to this thread this is AA's policy. However, I have taken at least 1,000 photos on board aircraft in the last 2 years, both out of the window and of the plane interior itself. I also photograph the airport interior/exterior, and the Admirals' clubs. I'm planning on eventually putting them up on my website.

Never had a problem...yet.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
It seems that AA has two kinds of FAs. Nice ones and rude ones. You can see actually see it by just looking at the uniform.
The nice ones have only white stripes, as soon as you see one yellow stripe the likelihood that this person is rude is extremely high.
So if AA coulld get rid of all the ones with yellow stripes they would be a much nicer, friendlier airline.
Huh? The braided stripes on the jacket are all the same color. Do you mean silver wings v. gold wings?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I have to say that I agree with the rule. Think of it from the other (nefarious) side. Yes, you can find drawings on the internet, but if one were planning something, well, there's nothing like firsthand intelligence. And no, that shouldn't stop anyone from taking what are obviously family photos, but documenting precise layouts and protocols does raise potential risks.

[snip]

We have the same rule on the NYC subway. Of course, no one cares if some tourist takes a photo of their family on the subway, but I certainly sit up and take notice if someone starts taking multiple pix of the car/doors/emergency equipment itself with no friends around. Actually, this happened about a year ago - a closer look revealed that the photographer was wearing a conspicuous press pass around his neck, probably because of this very issue.

[snip]
Yes, maybe our civil liberties are being trampled and common sense is not being used enough. However, I respectfully submit that some of the comments others have made herein are one-sided oversimplifications of the current situation.
Anything, and I do mean anything, can be a potential threat or a prelude to a threat. So what? We live in a free and open society and that means accepting risks. There are many examples of this. We let spouses decline to testify, we have the 5th amendment, we have various categories of privilege, all of which can be seen to pose a threat, since guilty people may be free. We have a concept of privacy, even though this can be used to plot crimes. We allow people to travel freely, even though they may be doing so for evil purposes.

People should be free to take pictures of what they are interested in. That may be friends and family, but if they are travel geeks, it might the the plane seat or the half-eaten meal. Maybe it's the view of a 777, 757, and 747 lined up together on the tarmac.

FDR's words, "We have nothing to fear except fear itself," seem especially appropriate.

Last edited by anabolism; Oct 24, 2007 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:34 pm

You can find more than "drawings" on the internet.
You can find tons of pictures and even diagrams with measurements.

I am not convinced that taking pictures on a plane is a security issue.

What possible new info could terrorist gain that isn't easy enough to find without flying?
"Ah ha! At precisely 7 hours, four minutes and three seconds into the flight, all first class FAs move in counter-clockwise rotation, leaving us free to raid the booze carts!"
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by slabeaume
I guess when they say turn off any devise with an on/off switch, that would apply to a camera, also. Although I've taken pictures out the window countless times even during take off and landing and never was told it was against regulations.
I was reminded once that a camera is an electronic device and must be off during takeoff/landing. I suppose an old manual camera would be OK. No on/off switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.