FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:33 pm
Daze

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by formeraa
I agree that the OP's FA should have politely explained the rules.

However, the flip side is that the FA's have to fly a number of flights per month. After 9/11, the relative innocence of the industry is gone. FA's have to look for "suspicious" individuals, might have to defend themselves from attackers or fight off shoebombers, and/or deal with mentally ill individuals whose families negligently let them travel alone. Not to mention that all of them lost colleagues and friends on 9/11...

You can't blame them for being a bit paranoid from time to time!
I agree but I see nothing in this post that relates to taking of photos in the cabin of the aircraft. Using a camera is not, yet, considered the equivalent of pulling a gun or threatening a member of the flight crew. The note in American Way does not prohibit photos on board, it says photos of flight procedures or something like that. If they wanted the policy to be no photos on board they could say that, but they don't.

It sounds like the FA wasn't having a good day and took it out on a passenger. Sounds like the passenger, after expressing surprise at the promulgation of a non-existant rule, complied with the crew members instructions and was rewarded with poor service for the duration of a long flight. This, no matter how you spin it, will not cause repeat business and reflects poorly on AA.