Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Concierge Key AA Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:48 pm
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
$19k certainly is a lot of money, but when you consider that a SINGLE full fare F ticket (JFK-LHR) can, depending on the time of year, run anywhere between $14k and $20k, you might understand where AA stands in their evaluation of candidates.

That being said, AA SHOULD recognize that while the person who brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue might need a little more care in a program like CK, the person who buys $19k worth of tickets should receive a level of care that they do not currently enjoy.
I agree that $19k probably would not warrant CK. My point was that I'm going to be at a run rate of $120k / yr. This still might not be enough to warrant CK, but it sounds like it might be based on others' experiences. I wouldn't expect AA to give someone CK based on a couple months of high $ travel. My question is how long would it take for them to recognize this...

Also, CK might be a 2-step process (nomination + flight pattern review), but it sounds like others here have experienced either / or. E.g. someone could be nominated and receive CK, but rarely fly. Conversely, someone could fly a lot (or influence a lot) and get CK without any formal company nomination.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
AAirpass holders were given CK about a month ago. They told my boss that they were going to try this out for a while to see how it goes. This likely solves problems where you need AAirpass specific help outside of business hours (AAirpass is only open during business hours).

Sean
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by stiphy
AAirpass holders were given CK about a month ago. They told my boss that they were going to try this out for a while to see how it goes. This likely solves problems where you need AAirpass specific help outside of business hours (AAirpass is only open during business hours).

Sean
That would explain why the phone line is clogged more than ever.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Sean

Do you mean that ALL holder of an AAirpass now are CK members?

Sounds like there is now a firm price tag on CK. Of course, I don't see pricing information on AAirpass.com, but I'm guessing that's because AA wants to negotiate the terms with each customer.

Does anybody know what it typically costs to buy certain blocks of AAirpass miles? Are we talking tens of thousands of $? Hundreds of thousands?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:11 pm
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Does anybody know what it typically costs to buy certain blocks of AAirpass miles? Are we talking tens of thousands of $? Hundreds of thousands?
I was looking for this as well. It looks like it's $11,250 / year for most people. This gets you 25,000 miles that you can redeem at between .75 and 2.4x actual miles flown depending on distance, cabin, and destination. You can also buy PlanAAhead tickets at a discounted rate.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/AAirpass_(AA)

Last edited by dstan; Oct 28, 2009 at 7:45 pm Reason: repaired dangling parenthesis in link
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Are you sure ALL AAirpass holders were granted CK status? I personally suspect not, but those with sufficient buying documentation could always call AAirpass and ask. (I have it on some reasonable authority it was some, not all.)

Sean

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm Reason: tpoey
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K AA PLT SPG Gold HH Gold
To what extent is CK a factor in consideration between switching bet/ UA and AA

I have been UA GS for the third year now, and have added AA this year since it is more convenient for some destinations from BOS. I'm so far at about 130K EQP on AA (got EXP in July). Most of my biz flights are international in C, to both Asia and Europe. I've been thinking about giving AA more business, but so far have been mostly buying the dirt cheap tickets on AA, out of the following considerations:

1. I find that AA EXP seems to be enough for me to get upgraded almost whenever I want (using evips for international trips or not using anything for domestic ones);

2. I doubt that UA 1K will be enough to get me upgraded every time I want, especially for BOS-SFO, the route that I fly the most and the route with a lot of 1Ks and UGS. Thus retaining UGS seems to be desirable.

3. I fear that I might not be able to get a CK invitation anyway, given that I have allocated at least 50K full fare miles (mostly in C) to UA. Beyond the CK, there is no other reward from AA for my purchasing expensive tickets.

Therefore, since 1) AA CK is an invitation only program, and 2) nobody knows for sure how to get that invitation, and 3) my employer doesn't really have a strong relationship with AA to nominate me for the CK, and 4) I am not a celebrity, my decisions is to stay with where I am (UA GS and AA 1K). I will not go out of my way to give UA more of my business, beyond the 50K threshold (there is no use for me to get more SWUs), neither do I think it would be worth paying AA more than the cheap fare for the potential invitation for CK (I know I will probably not get it anyway, given the discussion in this thread, and given my understanding that CK is more based on influence on other peopls' travel rather than your own revenue contribution). So, as long as AA keeps the membership of CK sufficiently low, so that my EXP status does not get too diluated, I will be content with the success rate of my upgrades on AA and will not try to change anything.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PS22
I have been UA GS for the third year now, and have added AA this year since it is more convenient for some destinations from BOS. I'm so far at about 130K EQP on AA (got EXP in July). Most of my biz flights are international in C, to both Asia and Europe. I've been thinking about giving AA more business, but so far have been mostly buying the dirt cheap tickets on AA, out of the following considerations:

1. I find that AA EXP seems to be enough for me to get upgraded almost whenever I want (using evips for international trips or not using anything for domestic ones);

2. I doubt that UA 1K will be enough to get me upgraded every time I want, especially for BOS-SFO, the route that I fly the most and the route with a lot of 1Ks and UGS. Thus retaining UGS seems to be desirable.

3. I fear that I might not be able to get a CK invitation anyway, given that I have allocated at least 50K full fare miles (mostly in C) to UA. Beyond the CK, there is no other reward from AA for my purchasing expensive tickets.

Therefore, since 1) AA CK is an invitation only program, and 2) nobody knows for sure how to get that invitation, and 3) my employer doesn't really have a strong relationship with AA to nominate me for the CK, and 4) I am not a celebrity, my decisions is to stay with where I am (UA GS and AA 1K). I will not go out of my way to give UA more of my business, beyond the 50K threshold (there is no use for me to get more SWUs), neither do I think it would be worth paying AA more than the cheap fare for the potential invitation for CK (I know I will probably not get it anyway, given the discussion in this thread, and given my understanding that CK is more based on influence on other peopls' travel rather than your own revenue contribution). So, as long as AA keeps the membership of CK sufficiently low, so that my EXP status does not get too diluated, I will be content with the success rate of my upgrades on AA and will not try to change anything.
I would wait to see how the ATI application for AA/BA/IB turns out. It could have a lot to do with how well AA will work for you ex-BOS.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Aside from the card in the mail, is there any sign you've gotten Concierge Key, either by email or when logged into aa.com?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
when the red coat meets you on the jetway and walks you to your connecting flight--that can be a sign you have made the CK level. Or you're an unattended minor
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by spurg
when the red coat meets you on the jetway and walks you to your connecting flight--that can be a sign you have made the CK level. Or you're an unattended minor
that was unhelpful. i meant online signs.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Aside from the card in the mail, is there any sign you've gotten Concierge Key, either by email or when logged into aa.com?
I've been CK for two years now... and each time the notification came by letter. There is no indication on aa.com that shows I'm anything but EXP... In fact I've never seen it anywhere except in the invitation letter and welcome kit letter (never online or in an email).

I first received a letter telling me I was invited to join the CK program and that I should go to aa.com and enter a special code to accept the invitation (similar to entering the code for double EQMs). Then a few weeks later I received my welcome packet with membership card.

Interesting thing to note is that my CK membership runs June 1 to May 31... not the Feb ending date of the AAdvantage program. I'm not sure what this says about the qualification period (ie spend period) but I would guess it is not following a calendar year (but that's wild speculation on my part).

Also, my small firm does not do a ton of business with AA - nor am I a celebrity/vip... but I do spend a lot on intl'l J with AA. Or at least I did... stupid economy...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
i meant online signs.
None i am aware of. If you call AA they can tell you.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by pacco
There is no indication on aa.com that shows I'm anything but EXP...
...which you don't have to be to "qualify" for CK
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:48 am

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.344 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Awesome thanks for this guys. I'm expecting a letter per our corp travel agent but haven't gotten it yet. Excited!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.