Search

American Airlines Opens Midtown Manhattan Travel Center

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
AA's New York City ticket offices

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ets/tc_NYC.jsp

Why is the location at Grand Central station closing in Feb and opening again in March? Is there a general renovation happening there?

And is the Columbus Circle location new? Is it only temporarily open for the duration of what I assume is building work at the east side office, or will it stay there as an alternative?

I had never noticed that it even existed -- would've been much more convenient for me to get to...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by salut0

Why is the location at Grand Central station closing in Feb and opening again in March? Is there a general renovation happening there?

And is the Columbus Circle location new? Is it only temporarily open for the duration of what I assume is building work at the east side office, or will it stay there as an alternative?

I had never noticed that it even existed -- would've been much more convenient for me to get to...
It's part of a satellite ticket office shared with other airlines similar to the one that used to exist on 59th between Madison and Park. By the way, it's not really on Columbus Circle but one block over.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jan 30, 2007 at 10:12 am Reason: typo corrected
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
The Columbus Circle location has been there for ages - although not sure if AA has always kept a desk there. It is a 'shared airline service center' and is a fairly grim facility.
The GC location - also shared service center - is a little cleaner, MUCH bigger and a great place to go for ticketing help. Back in the day of paper tickets I used to be there all the time with long waits. Last few times I went in the agents were waiting for customers - although I purposely waited till after 2pm to avoid any lunch rush.
ymmv

Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by amsNYC
The Columbus Circle location has been there for ages - although not sure if AA has always kept a desk there. It is a 'shared airline service center' and is a fairly grim facility.
The GC location - also shared service center - is a little cleaner, MUCH bigger and a great place to go for ticketing help. Back in the day of paper tickets I used to be there all the time with long waits. Last few times I went in the agents were waiting for customers - although I purposely waited till after 2pm to avoid any lunch rush.
ymmv
I've been in there several times and there are always agents waiting for customers. Guess that explains the hefty surcharge for using them...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM

Lease is up for all tenants, I was told.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:34 pm
Suspended

in the old days for Columbus Circle, continental was all the way in the back with AAmericAAn in the front. there may have been someone in the middle (delta?) but i don't remember. that was probably 5-7 years ago, no? it is a couple doors north of the starbucks/equinox entrance.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat
usually been able to get them to waive fees...

Charm and/or status has often worked for me in getting service fee waived.

Other times $15 more than worth it for the amount of help. Similar to AC - agents here often seem willing to go above/beyond.

ymmv

Guess that explains the hefty surcharge for using them...[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
Lease is up for all tenants, I was told.
Yep... the agents told me last week they are turning it into a by-invitation-only furniture showroom.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by fm1NYC
Yep... the agents told me last week they are turning it into a by-invitation-only furniture showroom.
So does that mean the only CTO left in NYC will be the Columbus Circle one?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Wasn't there a desk at the New York Hilton and one at the Waldorf?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Wasn't there a desk at the New York Hilton and one at the Waldorf?
Yes, there was!
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:03 pm
Suspended

The AA ticket office at Columbus Circle was a shared service center, but Delta and Continental have long since departed, leaving just an empty counter. AA is the only airline remaining at this facility. Any yes, it is just north of 60th Street on the west side of Broadway, a few doors up from the Starbucks on the corner.

Originally Posted by amsNYC
ymmv
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
No. Some of the existing Grand Central staff will move to a new CTO on Lexington and 41st once the renovation of that space is complete (they say March).

The less-senior agents (in this case, fewer than 30 years with AA) are being moved to airports, while the more senior ones will continue to staff the new office once it opens. The new office is smaller.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
From the latest AAirmail:

Grand Re-Opening Of The American Airlines Travel Center

Now more conveniently located between 40th and 41st Streets, the American Airlines Travel Center will celebrate its Grand Re-Opening on April 2. The street-level location at 360 Lexington Avenue makes it easy to drop in for assistance with your travel arrangements, group fares, gift cards, Admirals Club(R) Day Passes, plus many other services. Consultants will be available for you Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and on Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Columbus Circle

DL was there, then gone, then back and now gone.

CO gone.

Believe it or not, Olympic Airways now has a desk there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.