FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   American Airlines Opens Midtown Manhattan Travel Center (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/675973-american-airlines-opens-midtown-manhattan-travel-center.html)

salut0 Jan 30, 2007 10:07 am

AA's New York City ticket offices

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ets/tc_NYC.jsp

Why is the location at Grand Central station closing in Feb and opening again in March? Is there a general renovation happening there?

And is the Columbus Circle location new? Is it only temporarily open for the duration of what I assume is building work at the east side office, or will it stay there as an alternative?

I had never noticed that it even existed -- would've been much more convenient for me to get to...

Landing Gear Jan 30, 2007 10:10 am

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 7121588)

Why is the location at Grand Central station closing in Feb and opening again in March? Is there a general renovation happening there?

And is the Columbus Circle location new? Is it only temporarily open for the duration of what I assume is building work at the east side office, or will it stay there as an alternative?

I had never noticed that it even existed -- would've been much more convenient for me to get to...

It's part of a satellite ticket office shared with other airlines similar to the one that used to exist on 59th between Madison and Park. By the way, it's not really on Columbus Circle but one block over.

amsNYC Jan 30, 2007 10:16 am

The Columbus Circle location has been there for ages - although not sure if AA has always kept a desk there. It is a 'shared airline service center' and is a fairly grim facility.
The GC location - also shared service center - is a little cleaner, MUCH bigger and a great place to go for ticketing help. Back in the day of paper tickets I used to be there all the time with long waits. Last few times I went in the agents were waiting for customers - although I purposely waited till after 2pm to avoid any lunch rush.
ymmv :)

abefroman329 Jan 30, 2007 10:23 am

Originally Posted by amsNYC (Post 7121677)
The Columbus Circle location has been there for ages - although not sure if AA has always kept a desk there. It is a 'shared airline service center' and is a fairly grim facility.
The GC location - also shared service center - is a little cleaner, MUCH bigger and a great place to go for ticketing help. Back in the day of paper tickets I used to be there all the time with long waits. Last few times I went in the agents were waiting for customers - although I purposely waited till after 2pm to avoid any lunch rush.

I've been in there several times and there are always agents waiting for customers. Guess that explains the hefty surcharge for using them...

rpmkwpw Jan 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Lease is up for all tenants, I was told.

fly co to see the yanks Jan 30, 2007 2:34 pm

in the old days for Columbus Circle, continental was all the way in the back with AAmericAAn in the front. there may have been someone in the middle (delta?) but i don't remember. that was probably 5-7 years ago, no? it is a couple doors north of the starbucks/equinox entrance.

amsNYC Jan 30, 2007 2:47 pm

usually been able to get them to waive fees...

Charm and/or status has often worked for me in getting service fee waived.

Other times $15 more than worth it for the amount of help. Similar to AC - agents here often seem willing to go above/beyond.

ymmv ;)

Guess that explains the hefty surcharge for using them...[/QUOTE]

fm1NYC Jan 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw (Post 7122492)
Lease is up for all tenants, I was told.

Yep... the agents told me last week they are turning it into a by-invitation-only furniture showroom.

salut0 Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by fm1NYC (Post 7123729)
Yep... the agents told me last week they are turning it into a by-invitation-only furniture showroom.

So does that mean the only CTO left in NYC will be the Columbus Circle one?

Landing Gear Jan 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 7123936)

Wasn't there a desk at the New York Hilton and one at the Waldorf?

kappa Jan 30, 2007 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 7124099)
Wasn't there a desk at the New York Hilton and one at the Waldorf?

Yes, there was!

nancy61 Jan 30, 2007 4:03 pm

The AA ticket office at Columbus Circle was a shared service center, but Delta and Continental have long since departed, leaving just an empty counter. AA is the only airline remaining at this facility. Any yes, it is just north of 60th Street on the west side of Broadway, a few doors up from the Starbucks on the corner.

Originally Posted by amsNYC (Post 7121677)

fm1NYC Jan 31, 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 7123936)

No. Some of the existing Grand Central staff will move to a new CTO on Lexington and 41st once the renovation of that space is complete (they say March).

The less-senior agents (in this case, fewer than 30 years with AA) are being moved to airports, while the more senior ones will continue to staff the new office once it opens. The new office is smaller.

kappa Mar 21, 2007 7:10 pm

From the latest AAirmail:

Grand Re-Opening Of The American Airlines Travel Center

Now more conveniently located between 40th and 41st Streets, the American Airlines Travel Center will celebrate its Grand Re-Opening on April 2. The street-level location at 360 Lexington Avenue makes it easy to drop in for assistance with your travel arrangements, group fares, gift cards, Admirals Club(R) Day Passes, plus many other services. Consultants will be available for you Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and on Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

NYC Flyer Mar 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Columbus Circle

DL was there, then gone, then back and now gone.

CO gone.

Believe it or not, Olympic Airways now has a desk there!