Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried the new Beef & Cheese Enchilada lunch/snack?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Roadrunner2
Don't quite understand why AA can't think outside the box/bun/tortilla? Here's one solution from a different airline....(courtesy of Chris Barnett, travel columnist on www.joesentme.com):

FOOD AND FINANCES AT MIDWEST AIRLINES
By Chris Barnett
February 8, 2007 -- In-flight fare, even when it was free, wasn't much to write home about. Now that most airlines charge you for everything from soup to nuts, you may or may not get what you pay for.

A notable exception: Midwest Airlines, known for its surprisingly tasty steak dinners and free wines when it flew as Midwest Express, still serves creative cuisine aloft. Now you pay for the pleasure, of course, but that's fine with me.

I'll gladly fork over five dollars for a pumpkin-and-toasted-pecan muffin with cardamom streusel topping that's served with mixed winter fruit and yogurt flavored with cappuccino and pistachio praline. That's Midwest's version of a continental breakfast.

In fact, Midwest has once again put a limited-menu restaurant in the skies and gives you the tab without asking for a tip. The name isn't exactly appetizing--Best Care Cuisine--but the courses themselves sound tasty.

For example, one dinner on the menu is grilled flank steak with mushroom sauce, buttered carrots and roasted garlic whipped potatoes. It's served with a salad of baby greens and Champagne tarragon vinaigrette, a roll and butter. The in-flight price: $10. There's also a "tapas" dinner: grilled pesto chicken salad in a pita with tomato, lettuce and sun-dried tomato mayonnaise. That one costs $5, including the side of potato chips.

This isn't "industrial-strength food mass-cooked in some outsourced commissary kitchen," Midwest's chief marketing officer, Scott Dickson, told me in an interview.

Instead, the carrier contracts with Mader's, a well-known German restaurant in Milwaukee, Midwest's hometown and primary hub. Mader's prepares and cooks Midwest's meals from scratch.

"By catering our own aircraft, we've reduced our costs and our buy-on-board meals are a profit center," Dickson contends.
That's nice. Unfortunately, Midwest is in a different category entirely - they're simply not an option for very many people. AA has to compete with EVERYONE, not just a few minor routes.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by magic111
Did they really think you were going cannibal?

What's to stop someone from using their shampoo on another pax.
Well, if I hadn't wanted to risk secondary I was going to make that comment about spray perfume/cologne, or...

but I wasn't willing to go that far in a place like that for the principle of a $2 bottle of Tabasco (especially as we had already found a 5 florin coin worth about $2.85).

Seems anyone who could make that argument wouldn't listen to reason...and they had a box of rubber gloves...

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I had it last week and it was delicious! ^

My seat mate was a little put out: it was described as a cheese enchilada by the FA and he didn't seem too happy about the 'bonus beef' that came with his entree. Understandable, if he was expecting a vegetarian meal or just didn't eat or like beef.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, DL Plat
I thought it was good as well. The meat was a little funny, but in the end it was pretty tasty.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just had it last week. Tasty, actually. A nice change of pace from the sandwich/salad "snack." ^
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:44 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
...and we think the security is bad here in the US

Cheers.

No doubt. The security process in Barbados was bad. Nasty too. Worse than being subjected tot he Frankfurt Frisk.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Top Tier
While we're on the subject of catering:
I have always wondered why a Texas based airline would not offer iced tea as a beverage option, considering how popular that drink is in Texas.
My guess is that having your passengers drinking tea and then lining up for the lavs is an undesirable outcome. Tea makes pee, as they say.

I thought the new enchilada is an improvement.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Tabasco is wonderful. I was born and raised in Louisiana, so I grew up on the stuff. Plus, it's available worldwide.

But have you tried the various powdered concoctions? I'm talking Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's. A less cajun version is "Morton Hot Salt". When traveling, the granulated hot stuff is much more convenient than Tabasco. I carry little packets of Tony's. Are the any other Tony Chachere's converts out there, or am I the only one?
I was born and raised in LA also -- Tony's or Tabasco, I'll take what I can get since they're both great!

I had the enchilada last Friday SAT-ORD. It did not suck, but I can't say it was the pinnacle of Tex-Mex--the first thing I thought was "I sure wish I had some Tabasco for this ...". Even asked the FA, but alas they had none (sigh).

To be fair to AA and the caterer, I had just spent 2 weeks in SAT eating the real thing ... so it may have been much better than I give it credit for. In any case, I'll order it again if given the choice. ^
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
Well, I haven't had the enchiladas yet, but I had my Tabasco at the ready, and used it in a couple of cases. Well, security in Aruba (the local folks at the first check...not the second US security check) decided it was not allowed because I could "use it on another passenger" (this accompanied by a shaking motion with the bottle). No dice...and we think the security is bad here in the US

Cheers.
I have a new habanero-based hot sauce that I just picked up in Mexico that I'm carrying for when I next encounter the enchilada. Having previously had my tabasco confiscated somewhere along the line, I now make sure to carry it in my pocket when I go through security.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:56 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
I was a choice of chicken breast with tomato cheese sauce over rice and tortilla or salmon. i had the chicken, which was really quite filling, and high in protein--a perfect meal in the air.
that actually smelled pretty good! i had the salmon when offered a choice between salmon or the "chicken tostada" on a BOS-ORD flight this week. the salmon was fine, tho the noodle cake was kind of scary....

fwiw, two days later, i had lunch on UA. the choice was salad (with shrimp) or sandwich/soup. i thought UA's presentation was better, but AA's lunch was more filling. and AA has better cookies. but UA has better wine. oh well, i guess i'll have to choose carriers based on schedules and fares, or something silly like that.....

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
But have you tried the various powdered concoctions? I'm talking Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's.
half a can of Tony Chachere's creole seasonings a day in advance does wonders for a thanksgiving turkey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.