Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried the new Beef & Cheese Enchilada lunch/snack?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:47 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
A couple of shakes of hot sauce is something I'd add to my eggs normally anyway, and I bring my own; you can get a six pack of under-one-ounce Tabasco bottles for about three bucks, so I put a bottle in my "freedom baggie" (no problems with TSA so far) and spice up my eggs.
Tabasco is wonderful. I was born and raised in Louisiana, so I grew up on the stuff. Plus, it's available worldwide.

But have you tried the various powdered concoctions? I'm talking Tony Chachere's or Zatarain's. A less cajun version is "Morton Hot Salt". When traveling, the granulated hot stuff is much more convenient than Tabasco. I carry little packets of Tony's. Are the any other Tony Chachere's converts out there, or am I the only one?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by greggwiggins

A couple of shakes of hot sauce is something I'd add to my eggs normally anyway, and I bring my own; you can get a six pack of under-one-ounce Tabasco bottles for about three bucks, so I put a bottle in my "freedom baggie" (no problems with TSA so far) and spice up my eggs.*

*I mean on a breakfast flight, but I'd use the Tabasco on an enchilada, too.
Easier to just get a single 2 oz. standard size container, IMO. I just got one yesterday for tomorrow's flights after hearing about the enchilada ^

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:35 pm
FTW

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Are the any other Tony Chachere's converts out there, or am I the only one?
The "spicy" Tony Chachere's is great! Here in North Texas, we like Serendipity...the hot seasoned salt is one of the best seasonings out there.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:45 pm
FTW

Serendipity comes in little packets (like other condiments) perfect for travel. Don't fly AA without one. I don't work for them or anything, but I love the stuff and get more packets than I could ever use. PM me for a free sample, unless that's against FT rules.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
When I had it on Sunday, there were several pieces of beef (all on the outside, not on the inside, although I would have been perfectly happy without it). And to me it looked exactly like an enchilada on Mexican rice. I certainly understand that some will not find that appetizing, but to me it looked exactly like what it was.
Sounds like the Tex-Mex style of cheese enchiladas, where it's covered in chili con carne sauce. At least that's the way they serve it at Mi Cocina in Dallas... ^
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:11 am
FTW

Originally Posted by prashok
Sounds like the Tex-Mex style of cheese enchiladas, where it's covered in chili con carne sauce. At least that's the way they serve it at Mi Cocina in Dallas... ^
...and at many Tex-Mex places. I happened to have some...cheese enchiladas covered with chicken fajita meat and chili con carne...at La Playa Maya in Fort Worth just last night. I wasn't even thinking about this thread when I ordered it. It is indeed a Tex-Mex staple.

This must be Mr. Pyles' Tex-Mex influence on AA cuisine. I look forward to trying AA's version!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
um....doesn't LSG Skychef's or GateGourmet make the meals? So ya might want to send them a letter or two about the cheese...

These caterers provide the food at JFK for LH's First Class cabins - they'll provide exactly what the carrier tells then. LH says caviar, they supply caviar. SQ says Dom Perignon, they supply Dom Perignon. AA says processed cheese, they provide processed cheese. The airline decides.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:43 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
yup.

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Feb 9, 2007 at 2:37 am
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

These caterers provide the food at JFK for LH's First Class cabins - they'll provide exactly what the carrier tells then. LH says caviar, they supply caviar. SQ says Dom Perignon, they supply Dom Perignon. AA says processed cheese, they provide processed cheese. The airline decides.
Exactly, it's all in the budget the airline gives them. Years ago I visited an Australian Airlines catering facility in SYD. On one area they had meals they were doing for SQ, on the other OA - it was quite a difference!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:37 am
Suspended

yup.
So you're claiming what I've said is incorrect? You're claiming that AA doesn't have the ability to make their caterers procure/produce higher quality product? If that's the case, then how do these same cateres at JFK produce world-class meals for other carriers?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Exactly, it's all in the budget the airline gives them. Years ago I visited an Australian Airlines catering facility in SYD. On one area they had meals they were doing for SQ, on the other OA - it was quite a difference!
Right - this concept is difficult for some, I guess...
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:51 am

Don't quite understand why AA can't think outside the box/bun/tortilla? Here's one solution from a different airline....(courtesy of Chris Barnett, travel columnist on www.joesentme.com):

FOOD AND FINANCES AT MIDWEST AIRLINES
By Chris Barnett
February 8, 2007 -- In-flight fare, even when it was free, wasn't much to write home about. Now that most airlines charge you for everything from soup to nuts, you may or may not get what you pay for.

A notable exception: Midwest Airlines, known for its surprisingly tasty steak dinners and free wines when it flew as Midwest Express, still serves creative cuisine aloft. Now you pay for the pleasure, of course, but that's fine with me.

I'll gladly fork over five dollars for a pumpkin-and-toasted-pecan muffin with cardamom streusel topping that's served with mixed winter fruit and yogurt flavored with cappuccino and pistachio praline. That's Midwest's version of a continental breakfast.

In fact, Midwest has once again put a limited-menu restaurant in the skies and gives you the tab without asking for a tip. The name isn't exactly appetizing--Best Care Cuisine--but the courses themselves sound tasty.

For example, one dinner on the menu is grilled flank steak with mushroom sauce, buttered carrots and roasted garlic whipped potatoes. It's served with a salad of baby greens and Champagne tarragon vinaigrette, a roll and butter. The in-flight price: $10. There's also a "tapas" dinner: grilled pesto chicken salad in a pita with tomato, lettuce and sun-dried tomato mayonnaise. That one costs $5, including the side of potato chips.

This isn't "industrial-strength food mass-cooked in some outsourced commissary kitchen," Midwest's chief marketing officer, Scott Dickson, told me in an interview.

Instead, the carrier contracts with Mader's, a well-known German restaurant in Milwaukee, Midwest's hometown and primary hub. Mader's prepares and cooks Midwest's meals from scratch.

"By catering our own aircraft, we've reduced our costs and our buy-on-board meals are a profit center," Dickson contends.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:14 am

Hm, AA did have caviar, Dom Perignon, and other finer items on the menu. They had these items not that long ago. AA wanted to cut costs becuase it's customers were not willing to continue to pay the higher costs...and AA was losing. Sure, there are those that are willing to pay higher costs for all the the items that AA once provided...but not enough people are.

AA chose to cut on many items, food was one of the major cuts. AA even cut down on the oz of filet for a short time....but soon the customers were complaining because the cutbacks were too much and the oz was raised back to where it was.

Slowly, ever so slowly, things are starting to raise to a higher/better level than what they were 1year ago...2years ago...3 years ago. They may never get to the level they were 25+ years ago, but the cost of living, air fare, and fuel was much different then too. The Travel Experience then, was 100% different than what it is today.

I'm not denying that the airlines say I want this, or I want that. I know for a fact that they do. If you notice, I actually agreed with you. (of course with rolling eyes) The only thing I refuted was the processed cheese which is actually real cheddar cheese in the omelette.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:18 am
Suspended

Hm, AA did have caviar, Dom Perignon, and other finer items on the menu. They had these items not that long ago. AA wanted to cut costs becuase it's customers were not willing to continue to pay the higher costs...and AA was losing. Sure, there are those that are willing to pay higher costs for all the the items that AA once provided...but not enough people are.

AA chose to cut on many items, food was one of the major cuts. AA even cut down on the oz of filet for a short time....but soon the customers were complaining because the cutbacks were too much and the oz was raised back to where it was.

Slowly, ever so slowly, things are starting to raise to a higher/better level than what they were 1year ago...2years ago...3 years ago. They may never get to the level they were 25+ years ago, but the cost of living, air fare, and fuel was much different then too. The Travel Experience then, was 100% different than what it is today.

I'm not denying that the airlines say I want this, or I want that. I know for a fact that they do. If you notice, I actually agreed with you. (of course with rolling eyes) The only thing I refuted was the processed cheese which is actually real cheddar cheese in the omelette.
Huh? Only a few posts back, you're telling us to blame the caterers for the low quality of AA's meals. Then we point out that the caterers just make whatever quality AA tells them to. You give me a "" when I point that out, and now you're explaining why AA cut the meal quality (ie, they did it, not the caterers). We know this. This is what we've been saying. Are you OK?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:41 am

I'm awesome. Thanks for asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.