Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by shoodawg
cheese whiz's
I like it.

I was actually thinking "member of the cheese cartel".
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Enjoyed some emmi fondue tonight. A 500 miler pack.
I prefer raclette. Even though there are no miles.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I had 126,000 miles post today.
Using a cost of 2 cents per mile, that would have been $2,520 to the vendor. How much did you spend on the cheese?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:35 am

Pudding guys, cheese whiz's, wonder what's next....
Hey, I resemble that remark, or something like that.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Enjoyed some emmi fondue tonight. A 500 miler pack.
If it wasn't for this promo, I would've never tried their product. I do like the fondue, and will continue to buy it.

Goph
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
How much did you spend on the cheese?
A little less than $1100. (Please don't tell my wife.)

My actual cost will be less, as I donated most to a local charity.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
This is a very important point, and part of what makes much of this thread ridiculous, IMHO. Having legal rights is very different from being in a position to enforce your legal rights, which, as we all know, generally is a very expensive proposition. So I just laugh every time I read a post that sounds threatening or that suggests that Emmi better do the right thing if they know what's good for them.

It appears (although it's still not certain) that Emmis is going to do the right thing. I think we all can make some guesses as to why they appear to be doing that -- concern for their reputation, positive coporate ethics, pressure from AA, etc. -- but I think that concern over being sued likely is not one of the reasons. The biggest threat of a suit would be if a state Attorney General's office or office of consumer affairs chose to get involved, but I think the number of affected people in any given state is so small that that is unlikely.

So talk tough all you want. But I'm not convinced that that is what is driving Emmi to do the right thing.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:51 pm

Just curious if you had never heard of this discussion on FlyerTalk and made a purchase of this cheese with the 500 AA coupon attached and wanted the miles as advertised because you only bought the item for the miles,would you just meekly accept what ever they decided to give you? Accept anything!!!

Last edited by Getiton; Dec 19, 2006 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Getiton
Just curious if you had never heard of this discussion on FlyerTalk and made a purchase of this cheese with the 500 AA coupon attached and wanted the miles as advertised because you only bought the item for the miles,would you just meekly accept what ever they decided to give you? Accept anything!!!
That depends who "you" are. Some people will accept anything while others are less tolerant.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
That depends who "you" are. Some people will accept anything while others are less tolerant.
Yup. Certainly FT gives the knowledge and motivation to truly take advantage of this offer...but without this it depends on ones personality. I've never not gotten a promised rebate...and I'll actually expend effort beyond what it may be worth, on principle. Those saner than I may let these things go...I just don't like to lose in such battles. Must be the New Yorker

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
I'm staying late at work tonight and I just loaded up a big basket with MANY silver colored cheese wedges and a couple of boxes of crackers (no miles with purchase..darn!) and various chocolates (not Swiss!) and gave them to a woman I have never met who is on the night cleaning crew here and told her to put it in their break room and enjoy. She saw me in the hall later and said they were "very delicious". (I'm pretty sure she hadn't tasted the mustard-flavored cheese yet, because that one is n-a-s-t-y.) Now I only have a few more boxes to give away...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Yup. Certainly FT gives the knowledge and motivation to truly take advantage of this offer...but without this it depends on ones personality. I've never not gotten a promised rebate...and I'll actually expend effort beyond what it may be worth, on principle. Those saner than I may let these things go...I just don't like to lose in such battles. Must be the New Yorker

Cheers.
Thanks for your message.

We all have to work with what we have, whether that is skills, knowledge or the means to hire someone with them. Of course, attitude helps a lot.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:34 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Does anyone know what happened to cause the issue?

Initially every wheel in a carton started getting the promotion of the Oct'07 expiration date. Every one....

Perhaps only a portion of cheese wheels were supposed to get the promo in each carton.

There was purported massive bulk buys from distributors shortly after Emmi posted here on FT.

Then about two weeks later the shipments that surfaced only had the promotion on a portion of the wheels and it seemed almost like repackaging. At this point only 1:8 wheels in cartons had them. This I know occured as only the top wheel in each carton had the promotion on it whereas earlier shippments had them on every one.

So I think they only meant to have a sampling in each shippment to prevent bulk buying or people from easily getting a lot at a time.

But something went wrong at the factory and every one got it.

This led to the run on the cheese.....

I for one would not have stopped at different stores if only 1:8 had the promotion. Given each store usually had ~5-20 at a time it would not have been worth the effort to stop at a store for a chance to only get 1 to 3 wheels.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
A little less than $1100. (Please don't tell my wife.)

My actual cost will be less, as I donated most to a local charity.
$1100 for 126,000 is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure even a non-FTer can understand that 5 domestic round-trip flights cost a lot more than $1100... (and that's probably the least cost-effective way to use the miles...)

I sure wish I had gotten in on this deal...unfortunately I was traveling over Thanksgiving and didn't notice the thread until it was too late.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
$1100 for 126,000 is nothing to be ashamed of.
There is no shame.

It is difficult to explain to non-FTers, and after the explanation, they still typically think you are crazy.

I prefer to let my wife know of these things while staying at a resort on points, rather than explain why I purchased 88 pounds of cheese with no immediate tangible benefit.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Dec 20, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.