Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Flt. 1134 (LAX/LHR) Loses Engine, Diverts to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by brp
After an overzealous attempt to compensate for the effects of the wake from the previous takeoff...which resulted in longer times between takeoffs being implemented, IIRC.

Cheers.
And that was hotly debated between AA and Airbus. Airbus claimed improper use of the rudder caused the separation. AA claimed such use shouldn't have caused a failure.

In any case we won't be seeing any new Airbus orders from AA for a long time....
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by EXPflyer1
I've only experienced an engine failure on takeoff wherein the takeoff was aborted at the last moment. I've realyed the story before so I won't bore you. My question is; given an engine failure at takeoff what are the general rules about the decision to abort?

In my extremely limited understanding, V1 is the speed at which the aircraft is going fast enough down the runway that is MUST take off (no room to stop) and V2 is the speed at which takeoff is possible. Hence, an engine failure between these 2 speeds is a very dangerous situation.

(Sorry if this is starting to get off topic - I'm not sure if this should be another thread or not?)
I could write 2 pages or more on this topic but I'll keep it short. V1 is takeoff decision speed. The decision to abort the takeoff must be made BEFORE this speed. This is not the speed where you should be deciding to abort. Vr is the speed at which your rotate, V2 is takeoff safety speed. At V2 you should be able to climb out single engine and I believe clear at least a 35ft obstacle at the end of the runway (I'm a little rusty, but I have recurrent training coming up so I'll make sure to get all the correct info then )

A normal takeoff would be briefed something like "Anything before V1 we will abort, anything after we will handle it airborne and come back and land"

Sometimes we will brief a takeoff differently if we are whats called "runway limited". Basically our takeoff weight is limited by the length of the runway (obviously it's short). Our briefing for such short runways would be:

"anything before 80kts we will abort, and anything after 80kts we will abort only for engine fire or if we just think the aircraft will not fly"
In this scenario, V1 should allow us to stop with enough runway, however when the runway is this short, you don't want to take any chances
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I don't think so. AA 587 crashed because pieces of the rudder came off after extreme movements from the cockpit.
See:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...30X02321&key=1

The airplane's vertical stabilizer and rudder separated in flight and were found in Jamaica Bay, about 1 mile north of the main wreckage site. The airplane's engines subsequently separated in flight and were found several blocks north and east of the main wreckage site. All 260 people aboard the airplane and 5 people on the ground were killed, and the airplane was destroyed by impact forces and a postcrash fire.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Physical loss of an engine in flight doesn't necessarily doom the aircraft.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/1990/A90_115_116.pdf

Of course this is more true in a/c where the engines are mounted close to the fuselage (e.g., MD-95/717, MD90, MD80, DC9, 727, Trident, BA 1-11, VC-10 and various Tupolev models an Ilyushin.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
Originally Posted by chsb
Passengers would not notice a difference on flying on one engine. I was on a DL flight several about 8 years ago aboard an L10-11 in J. We had a favorable jet stream so the pilots shut down one engine and as we began our approach the fired it up again. We didn't notice a thing when he shut it down during flight.
This seems a bit unlikely.

But, OK, if they really did shut down an engine, it still may not be a similar in flight experience since the engines on the 777 are on the wings.

If I recall the 3 L1011 engines are all close together integrated into the tail empenage.

This would not cause a significant yawl.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by spurg
This seems a bit unlikely.

But, OK, if they really did shut down an engine, it still may not be a similar in flight experience since the engines on the 777 are on the wings.

If I recall the 3 L1011 engines are all close together integrated into the tail empenage.

No, the L-1011 engines were not all mounted on the tail. One on each wing and one in the tail.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
And that was hotly debated between AA and Airbus. Airbus claimed improper use of the rudder caused the separation. AA claimed such use shouldn't have caused a failure.

In any case we won't be seeing any new Airbus orders from AA for a long time....
The wording of such a report has be carried out with great care, especially if US citizens are part of the story and could sue a company for 457 billion in damages. This comment is not intended to hurt anyone invoved in the crash, but if you read the whole report and if you talk to the investigators involved, you got a clear picture that the FO performing the take off had a certain history of overusing the rudder ( without any reason to do so )

Airliners from all manufacturers are designed to withstand certain extreme parameters resulting from wake turbulence and missuse of the flying pilots, but at some point even high tech equipment fails.

Just to add another comment regarding the two engine ops on the Tristar because of favourable jet streams...there is a nice German word which should be also used more in English and it is Anglerlatein, describing fisherman exaggerating quite a bit when describing how big the fish were they caught.

Ironically previous posts already pointed out that it is not more fuel efficient at all to fly with two engines at higher power than with three at cruise power ( not to mention that you very likely have to reduce your cruising altitude which would lead to questions by ATC etc. ... )

One of the big problems in aviation history turned out to be the silence of people in the cockpit when their colleagues did not follow instructions.Instead of pointing out the mistakes and reporting them to the company, too often everybody involved simply shut up which resulted in tragedies months or years later, which was also the case the AA A 300 which crashed in Queens. If the FO would have been retrained, tragedy could have been prevented. It is certainly a highly sensible issue , but some airlines ( LH for example ) have nice ideas how to make reports easier for people involved under such circumstances...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
Smile

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
I could write 2 pages or more on this topic but I'll keep it short. V1 is takeoff decision speed. The decision to abort the takeoff must be made BEFORE this speed. This is not the speed where you should be deciding to abort. Vr is the speed at which your rotate, V2 is takeoff safety speed. At V2 you should be able to climb out single engine and I believe clear at least a 35ft obstacle at the end of the runway (I'm a little rusty, but I have recurrent training coming up so I'll make sure to get all the correct info then )

A normal takeoff would be briefed something like "Anything before V1 we will abort, anything after we will handle it airborne and come back and land"

Sometimes we will brief a takeoff differently if we are whats called "runway limited". Basically our takeoff weight is limited by the length of the runway (obviously it's short). Our briefing for such short runways would be:

"anything before 80kts we will abort, and anything after 80kts we will abort only for engine fire or if we just think the aircraft will not fly"
In this scenario, V1 should allow us to stop with enough runway, however when the runway is this short, you don't want to take any chances
Thanks a lot for the informative reply AEpilot76! ^
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:46 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
From the Pilots board:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...=236319&page=2
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just the facts off the APA board:

They heard a "thump" at FL350 north of ALB at 0350, about half way from LAX to LHR. FA's heard and felt it too - but no secondary indication anything was wrong. No eicas or status messages, engines smooth. Still, they all thought since "something" went "thump" - they better figure out what before crossing the North Atlantic. So after looking at their indicators they called Alliance Tech and Dispatch. Eventually they talked to RR reps and agreed a divert was recommended. Going through parameters they saw high VIB levels on right eng. Slightly elevated oil press and EGT, but otherwise ok. VIB level on LH ENG N2 was normal, RH ENG showed a trend arrow pointing off the top of the scale and it was N3, not N2. Still, the engine was running smooth.

With uncertainty of the engine's integrity, they decided to divert to JFK and as they reduced power, they got compressor stalls. More, as they went to idle, then the engine settled down. They continued smooth and easy in a descent, declaring emergency. At 22,000 feet the engine failed with no ill-effect since they had already gone to idle and started APU. Dumped fuel to about 65K pounds and landed around 475K.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
From the Pilots board:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...=236319&page=2
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just the facts off the APA board:

They heard a "thump" at FL350 north of ALB at 0350, about half way from LAX to LHR. FA's heard and felt it too - but no secondary indication anything was wrong. No eicas or status messages, engines smooth. Still, they all thought since "something" went "thump" - they better figure out what before crossing the North Atlantic. So after looking at their indicators they called Alliance Tech and Dispatch. Eventually they talked to RR reps and agreed a divert was recommended. Going through parameters they saw high VIB levels on right eng. Slightly elevated oil press and EGT, but otherwise ok. VIB level on LH ENG N2 was normal, RH ENG showed a trend arrow pointing off the top of the scale and it was N3, not N2. Still, the engine was running smooth.

With uncertainty of the engine's integrity, they decided to divert to JFK and as they reduced power, they got compressor stalls. More, as they went to idle, then the engine settled down. They continued smooth and easy in a descent, declaring emergency. At 22,000 feet the engine failed with no ill-effect since they had already gone to idle and started APU. Dumped fuel to about 65K pounds and landed around 475K.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

So for the critics out there, they didn't begin having real problems until descent when they began reducing power. Ergo, they didn't fly all the way from the deviation on one engine, they were on two engines until descent.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
With uncertainty of the engine's integrity, they decided to divert to JFK
Eek. You're not certain of the engine's integrity and you go 300 miles beyond the nearest suitable airport (which, as the flight track at flightaware.com clearly shows, was almost certainly YUL)? I realize they wanted to get the passengers on to London conveniently, and that JFK was a good place to take them from that perspective, but I'd love to read the report they'll clearly be submitting (per AEpilot76's posting of the federal requirements) showing why going on to JFK was as safe as landing at YUL.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by marlborobell
Eek. You're not certain of the engine's integrity and you go 300 miles beyond the nearest suitable airport (which, as the flight track at flightaware.com clearly shows, was almost certainly YUL)? I realize they wanted to get the passengers on to London conveniently, and that JFK was a good place to take them from that perspective, but I'd love to read the report they'll clearly be submitting (per AEpilot76's posting of the federal requirements) showing why going on to JFK was as safe as landing at YUL.
The engine was apparently running within specs until they actually started the approach. Diverting was out of an abundance of caution -- they didn't have to do anything until the engine failed. And even THEN they would have been fine even if they'd been out over the atlantic given ETOPS requirements. Funny how people suddenly want to be super over cautious, but still complain about delays, etc.

If I were on that flight i would be thrilled they'd gotten me to a major hub where I don't have to deal with customs and there are a ton of flights to get me on to LHR. Given that there was no safety issue at all with diverting. We're talking about a big passenger jet -- come on, 300 miles is nothing, it takes what, 100+ just to do a descent at the normal rate? And there are hundreds of airports in new england and upstate NY (and likely dozens with appropriate runways) if things had gone really wrong quickly.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem; the airplane was flying on two engines when the decision to divert was made. AA's pilots aren't under any legal obligation to immediately land a twin-engined airplane with two operating engines when they have doubts about one engine's integrity.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Eek. You're not certain of the engine's integrity and you go 300 miles beyond the nearest suitable airport (which, as the flight track at flightaware.com clearly shows, was almost certainly YUL)?
So a glance at flightaware.com enables you to better determine the closest suitable airport under such circumstances than the professionals who were actually flying the plane? That is a truly frightening concept.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spurg
I frequently get significant "yawl" with the Texas-based FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.