Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
Closest suitable could be one with:

Better emergency equipment
Maintanence base
Could be an AA/AE station
Longer Runways
Better Weather

Obviously the 3 experienced pilots and the dispatcher decided that JFK was the most suitable diversion airport. Everyone is safe, and most likely everything went very smoothly
The FAA in the past few months suspended for a year a Midwest Express crew for overflying many "suitable" airports after their B-717 had an engine problem/shut down. The crew continued on to MKE from over northern Ohio. As a pilot myself I would land at the nearest airport.

Last edited by mach92; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Check the BA boards here for a (verified many times over) story (from this year, IIRC) of a 747 pilot enroute from LAX to LHR hwho lost 1 of his 4 engines (no, not as in falling off) while over the US but proceeded on to LHR on the remaining 3. Apparently they ended up burning enough extra fuel that they had to declare a fuel emergency very close to London, but everything turned out fine and the British transportation agency report on the incident said the pilots did nothing wrong, IIRC.

Someone who remembers more details and perhaps has a link can flesh out this story...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by justageek
Check the BA boards here for a (verified many times over) story (from this year, IIRC) of a 747 pilot enroute from LAX to LHR hwho lost 1 of his 4 engines (no, not as in falling off) while over the US but proceeded on to LHR on the remaining 3. Apparently they ended up burning enough extra fuel that they had to declare a fuel emergency very close to London, but everything turned out fine and the British transportation agency report on the incident said the pilots did nothing wrong, IIRC.

Someone who remembers more details and perhaps has a link can flesh out this story...
Rules for 2 engine aircraft vs 4 engine aircraft differ. What the BA crew did was legal, not necessarily smart, but none the less it was legal to continue to their destination. Too bad they didnt make it there
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an animated discussion of the BA 747 and the official report of the incident. The FAA has proposed the maximum fine while the British authorities cleared the crew and BA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574181
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:01 pm

§ 121.565 Engine inoperative: Landing; reporting.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, whenever an engine of an airplane fails or whenever the rotation of an engine is stopped to prevent possible damage, the pilot in command shall land the airplane at the nearest suitable airport, in point of time, at which a safe landing can be made.

(b) If not more than one engine of an airplane that has three or more engines fails or its rotation is stopped, the pilot in command may proceed to an airport that he selects if, after considering the following, he decides that proceeding to that airport is as safe as landing at the nearest suitable airport:

(1) The nature of the malfunction and the possible mechanical difficulties that may occur if flight is continued.

(2) The altitude, weight, and usable fuel at the time of engine stoppage.

(3) The weather conditions en route and at possible landing points.

(4) The air traffic congestion.

(5) The kind of terrain.

(6) His familiarity with the airport to be used.

(c) The pilot in command shall report each stoppage of engine rotation in flight to the appropriate ground radio station as soon as practicable and shall keep that station fully informed of the progress of the flight.

(d) If the pilot in command lands at an airport other than the nearest suitable airport, in point of time, he or she shall (upon completing the trip) send a written report, in duplicate, to his or her director of operations stating the reasons for determining that the selection of an airport, other than the nearest airport, was as safe a course of action as landing at the nearest suitable airport. The director of operations shall, within 10 days after the pilot returns to his or her home base, send a copy of this report with the director of operation's comments to the certificate-holding district office.

[Doc. No. 6258, 29 FR 19219, Dec. 31, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 121–207, 54 FR 39293, Sept. 25, 1989; Amdt. 121–253, 61 FR 2614, Jan. 26, 1996]

Browse Previous | Browse Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face They will notice.

Originally Posted by chsb
Passengers would not notice a difference on flying on one engine.
I don't think you can say that with total certainty. I think it really depends on how the engine shuts down.

I was flying on a HP PHX-LAX(If I remember correctly) flight close to ten years ago, and shortly into the flight the starboard engine stopped. Well I noticed as well as a few other pax. I distinctly remember the change in sound, and speed.

It was not a comfortable feeling seeing that engine fan stopped.

I was on a DL flight several about 8 years ago aboard an L10-11 in J.
You're comparing a Tri-Jet to a twin?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Particularly for anyone in the path of the falling engine.
Hmm, the 2 engines of that AA A300 both came off (and landed in Queens) before the plane crashed.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I don't think you can say that with total certainty. I think it really depends on how the engine shuts down.

I was flying on a HP PHX-LAX(If I remember correctly) flight close to ten years ago, and shortly into the flight the starboard engine stopped. Well I noticed as well as a few other pax. I distinctly remember the change in sound, and speed.

It was not a comfortable feeling seeing that engine fan stopped.

It depends on the type of plane. If it's just a normal shutdown, you'll feel it less in an -80 or an RJ because of the nearly centerline thrust due to the engines being on the tail (positioned close together). You'll probably feel some more movement in a 73 or 75 due to the center of thrust being further away from the center of gravity.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Just this week on a DL shuttle flight LGA-BOS, we had an engine failure. The pilot came on the PA, reported the problem, said we'd be continuing to BOS and not to worry about the fire trucks awaiting our arrival. We landed, the fire department did a quick inspection, and off we went to the gate. I was almost surprised at what a non-event it was.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by pilotscott
I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a flight and hear one of the engines just immediatlely shut down in flight.
It's happened to twice. The first time the engine shut down with a loud bang about 10 feet from my ear (I was all the way in the back of an MD-80). The crew members were extremely professional and all the passengers remained very calm on both occasions.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
I've only experienced an engine failure on takeoff wherein the takeoff was aborted at the last moment. I've realyed the story before so I won't bore you. My question is; given an engine failure at takeoff what are the general rules about the decision to abort?

In my extremely limited understanding, V1 is the speed at which the aircraft is going fast enough down the runway that is MUST take off (no room to stop) and V2 is the speed at which takeoff is possible. Hence, an engine failure between these 2 speeds is a very dangerous situation.

(Sorry if this is starting to get off topic - I'm not sure if this should be another thread or not?)
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by AGuyAndADogInDFW
When an engine fails on an aircraft, does the aircraft automatically adjust to keep it balanced, since the thrust isn't equal any longer, or do the pilots have to constantly "fight" to keep it stable? I've always imagined the tail rudder at some extreme position just to keep the aircraft stable. Or are there other measures in place to maintain the balance?
On certain newer aircraft models, the 777 being one of them, the aircraft will automatically deflect the rudder to a certain degree to compensate for the assymetrical thrust condition caused by the failure.

Hmm, the 2 engines of that AA A300 both came off (and landed in Queens) before the plane crashed.
I don't think so. AA 587 crashed because pieces of the rudder came off after extreme movements from the cockpit.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

I don't think so. AA 587 crashed because pieces of the rudder came off after extreme movements from the cockpit.
After an overzealous attempt to compensate for the effects of the wake from the previous takeoff...which resulted in longer times between takeoffs being implemented, IIRC.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
YVR Cockroach didn't say that 587 crashed because the engines separated (they did in fact fall prior to the crash).
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Except for the ATPs, may I recommend pprune.org for all others that pretend to be experts on the subject.

Cheers,

J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.