Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Flt. 1134 (LAX/LHR) Loses Engine, Diverts to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive
I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a flight and hear one of the engines just immediatlely shut down in flight.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Blumie
Keep in mind that this was not an emergency in the sense that the aircraft was in immediate peril. No fire. No smoke. The aircraft flies perfectly well on one engine. I have no doubt, as AEpilot76 has indicated, that the pilots in that plane were not playing with the safety of their passengers. And correct me if I'm wrong, AEpilot76, but it's not that uncommon for an aircraft to lose power in an engine. It happened to me once on takeoff on a BOS-LGA flight, and the pilot came on the air right away basically to say "no big whoop" but we'll be returning to BOS right away. We were chased down the runway by the emergency equipment, but other than that it certainly did seem like it was no big whoop.

BTW, I don't know if it was there intention to be hyperbolic, but the headline "Jetliner Loses Engine" (as opposed to the first sentence which reports that a jetliner lost power in one of its engines) makes it sound like an engine fell off the plane, which I have to imagine is a much bigger deal than just losing power.
I wouldn't say it's a common occurance to lose power on an engine, but it happens. That is the one thing that is ALWAYS on any checkride or sim event that we have. Power loss on an engine is always practiced while at the most critical phase of flight-takeoff. We're very well training in engine failures. It'll definately create some excitment up front, but not usually not something life threatening. The real danger would be an engine fire that wouldn't go out...something along that line
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by chsb
Passengers would not notice a difference on flying on one engine. I was on a DL flight several about 8 years ago aboard an L10-11 in J. We had a favorable jet stream so the pilots shut down one engine and as we began our approach the fired it up again. We didn't notice a thing when he shut it down during flight.

Turning off an engine, for whatever reason, would also unbalance things a lot less, I'm thinking, on a Tristar, because there is still equal power under both wings.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
BTW, I don't know if it was there intention to be hyperbolic, but the headline "Jetliner Loses Engine" (as opposed to the first sentence which reports that a jetliner lost power in one of its engines) makes it sound like an engine fell off the plane, which I have to imagine is a much bigger deal than just losing power.
Particularly for anyone in the path of the falling engine.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've merged all the open threads on this.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Odd question . . .

When an engine fails on an aircraft, does the aircraft automatically adjust to keep it balanced, since the thrust isn't equal any longer, or do the pilots have to constantly "fight" to keep it stable? I've always imagined the tail rudder at some extreme position just to keep the aircraft stable. Or are there other measures in place to maintain the balance?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Yeah, that's gotta hurt.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Turning off an engine, for whatever reason, would also unbalance things a lot less, I'm thinking, on a Tristar, because there is still equal power under both wings.
Not only do I not believe that this happened, but there are so many other problems that they would have by just shutting down an engine due to favorable jetstream.

First off, DL would have them fired if they knew they did that
Second, it's stupid
Third, every multi engine airplane has a service ceiling. A two engine airplane would have it's service ceiling and single engine service celing which would be lower due to the loss of power in one engine. So, with the L10 on 3 engines they may be able to cruise at 37,000, but with two engines maybe only 24, 000 and even lower on only one.
Fourth, down at a lower altitude you're burning more fuel and with only two engines you're going to fly slower...not economic, nor desirable

Do I really need to go on?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
Not only do I not believe that this happened, but there are so many other problems that they would have by just shutting down an engine due to favorable jetstream.

First off, DL would have them fired if they knew they did that
Second, it's stupid
Third, every multi engine airplane has a service ceiling. A two engine airplane would have it's service ceiling and single engine service celing which would be lower due to the loss of power in one engine. So, with the L10 on 3 engines they may be able to cruise at 37,000, but with two engines maybe only 24, 000 and even lower on only one.
Fourth, down at a lower altitude you're burning more fuel and with only two engines you're going to fly slower...not economic, nor desirable

Do I really need to go on?

I was only responding to the issue of why the pax on the DL flight might not have noticed any change, if it was the middle engine. I would also guess that, assuming the poster of that experience was telling the truth, that they had an engine failure, and that this was how they kept the pax calm, in case they did notice some change.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

Not to mention the path of the falling plane. Remember, the engine falling off was what brought that DC-10 (blanking on the flight number) down 25yrs ago.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by chsb
Passengers would not notice a difference on flying on one engine. I was on a DL flight several about 8 years ago aboard an L10-11 in J. We had a favorable jet stream so the pilots shut down one engine and as we began our approach the fired it up again. We didn't notice a thing when he shut it down during flight.
Maybe I'm wrong about this but my understanding is that shutting down a jet engine would make the plane go slower and burn more fuel, due to windmilling/drag from the shut down engine. Perhaps someone could clarify but this seems like an urban legend to me.

EDIT: Sure enough, our favorite pilot says the same. Last one on the draw as usual.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by f9999
For those that are interested... one of the 777's is probably out of comission:
Probably not for long. All airlines have spare engines, so it is just a matter of replacing it (can be done in a matter of hours if AA keeps a spare in JFK, which I bet they do). All this assumes that the fault leading to engine failure was caused by the engine itself and not the airframe.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:18 am

I was only responding to the issue of why the pax on the DL flight might not have noticed any change, if it was the middle engine. I would also guess that, assuming the poster of that experience was telling the truth, that they had an engine failure, and that this was how they kept the pax calm, in case they did notice some change.
Sorry my comment really wasn't toward you but rather the original poster of that insane story.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Not to mention the path of the falling plane. Remember, the engine falling off was what brought that DC-10 (blanking on the flight number) down 25yrs ago.
Yes, this was American flight 191 from ORD to LAX. It literally lost the #1 engine on takeoff, creating a host of problems from which the pilots could not recover.

Also was the cause of the crash of an El Al Cargo 747 classic that crashed into an apartment building shortly after takeoff from AMS.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
Sorry my comment really wasn't toward you but rather the original poster of that insane story.

No problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.