Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs CO - elite status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
AA vs CO - elite status

I am currently Gold eliete on CO and have been offered a status match on AA. I am hoping someone on this forum who has status on both airlines can assist me in making an intelligent decision whether I should change allegiances. Here are my facts:

I live in Manhattan so airport access (JFK vs EWR) is not an issue. My mileage consists primarily of 10-12 non-business transcontinental flights between EWR/LAX, an international flight a year and a few RJ flights up and down the east coast. I will be reaching Silver Status this May for 2007. My elite status benefits to date have been preferred coach seating, access to the elite reservation line, pre-boarding and access to the elite security line.

What are my upgrade chances on AA on my transcontinental flights? (0 for 24 the past 2 years and not ever expecting one on CO.)

Is the in-flight coach experience any different/better/worse?

What type of availability is there to actually use standard miles on international trips?

Does the AA terminal at JFK or LGA have an elite (preferred) security line?

I searched the threads forAA info, but did not find any recent treads which answered my questions.

Thanks for any help in advance !
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Are your int'l trips done in Y or J, and do you intend to use mileage upgrades? Based on experience with AA, I've never not gotten a mileage upgrade that I've wanted. That includes transcons and int'l. Note also that elite upgrades on AA are paid, not free like CO (until you hit EXP, that is). So, while using them on a transcon as PLT (which it sounds like you'd be) might be possible sometimes, if you are purchasing them it will cost you $180 each way in stickers. Also, if you ever buy business class seats for int'l trips, AA has a first class which you can upgrade to on flights with a 777. My knowledge of CO is almost non-existant, these are just the things I've observed on FT. For a complete comparison, just give it until JonNYC happens upon this thread, and you'll get everything you need ^.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYGabriel
I am currently Gold eliete on CO and have been offered a status match on AA.
Very surprising. Are you sure it's a status match and not a challenge? AA has pretty much stopped matching status.

I will be reaching Silver Status this May for 2007.
I'm confused. You say you're Gold and in May you'll be reaching Silver?

What are my upgrade chances on AA on my transcontinental flights? (0 for 24 the past 2 years and not ever expecting one on CO.)
Not so good if you're GLD (bottom-tier) on AA, better if you're PLT (mid-tier). Transcons are pretty tough to get upgraded on.

What type of availability is there to actually use standard miles on international trips?
Exceptionally good IMO.

Does the AA terminal at JFK or LGA have an elite (preferred) security line?
No.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm confused. You say you're Gold and in May you'll be reaching Silver?

I took that to mean that the OP will have already earned Silver for the 2007 membership year by May, so even if he switches to AA, he'll have the Silver for if he decides to switch back/still use CO for some flights.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
I have had good luck upgrading international Y with miles (before and after the $250 policy). You end up on the waitlist a lot but it seems to clear.

Based out of ORD as a gold, I have had a good amount of domestic upgrades clear w/ stickers. As a Platinum it is much better, not to mention all of the other benefits.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I took that to mean that the OP will have already earned Silver for the 2007 membership year by May, so even if he switches to AA, he'll have the Silver for if he decides to switch back/still use CO for some flights.
You are correct in saying that
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=vasantn]Very surprising. Are you sure it's a status match and not a challenge? AA has pretty much stopped matching status.[QUOTE=vasantn]

OK...help me out here..whats a challenge? If that means fly X number of miles by a certain date, then yes, its a challenge...Just 5,000 miles by July which is a non-issue as I will have to LAX trips I can book.

[QUOTE=vasantn]Transcons are pretty tough to get upgraded on.[QUOTE=vasantn]

They are impossible on CO, so this is pretty much a wash.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:36 pm

You have this crossposted in the CO forum as well.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
OK...help me out here..whats a challenge? If that means fly X number of miles by a certain date, then yes, its a challenge...Just 5,000 miles by July which is a non-issue as I will have to LAX trips I can book.
Yes, this is a challenge. Be careful; a challenge is based on points, not miles. Deep-discount fares earn only 0.5 points per mile.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I maintained mid-status on both CO and AA (Gold and Platinum, respectively.) I eventually moved all my business to AA because of AA upgrade policies, status treatment and good award availability. That resulted in reaching top status,a nd it has been more than worth the change.

As Platinum on AA, I can purchase 500-mile "stickers" - these are electronic domestic upgrades, each usable to upgrade up to 550 miles US / North America, Mexico, Central America and Caribbean on almost all fares, including deep discount economy. They cost $30 each, and I get four free every 10,000 flown miles, basically. My upgrade record as a Platinum was not bad at all.

I can also purchase upgrades to long distance international destinations with miles and $250 co-pay that will include up to three flights in one direction. Again, my success rate was pretty good, depending on day and time of day, season, destination, etc.

As a Platinum, I could also access AA and oneworld lounges the day of international departure while flying AA and oneworld (those long distance ones again, and Mexico City) at no cost. You also receive, as on CO, preferred coach seating, access to the elite reservation line and First / Business check-in desk, pre-boarding and access to the elite security line.

I am forbidden to use the words "Coach" and "comfort" in the same sentence - whoops, I just did! But at least the ability to select exit row etc. makes it tolerable. I do not think one is better than the other, YMMV.

With all my business on AA, it has been easy to reach the highest status (Executive Platinum) and the benefits are much better - including eight annual "eVIP" coupons each good for upgrading up to three segments to the next class of service anywhere AA flies, and courtesy (free) "domestic" (see above) upgrades. I have never looked back with any longing.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Please note that challenges are based on points not miles. The points (EQPs) earned depend on the fare code. The range is anywhere from .5x - 1.5x the base miles flown, with a 500 EQP minimum. It sounds as if in your case you will fly enough that it won't be an issue, but just wanted you to be aware.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, this is a challenge. Be careful; a challenge is based on points, not miles. Deep-discount fares earn only 0.5 points per mile.
Just rechecked my email...it clearly states fly 5,000 miles by July 15.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I pretty much flew Northwest until last year. AA status matched me to Platinum early last year, and I flew them fairly exclusively. With that said, I would add the following:

1. As a Gold/Platinum on AA, you will earn 4 500-mile upgrades for every 10K of miles flown. These can be used to upgrade on your US based flights.

2. I don't know if when you achieve Gold or Platinum level, one would normally receive an initial deposit of 500 mile upgrades. But when I was status matched, I did not receive any. You will have to either purchase them, as mentioned previously, or earn them through 10K miles of flying.

3. One thing I did receive a couple of times last year were operational upgrades on some of my international flights. Last year as a Platinum, I was upgaded on two of my Trans-Pacific flights to Narita. So that was definitely a nice unexpected perk.

4. As a Platinum, if you happen to be flying on a Y or B fares, you can request complementary upgrades. IOW, you won't have to use the 500 mile upgrade coupons.

HTH.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver

As Platinum on AA, I can purchase 500-mile "stickers" - these are electronic domestic upgrades, each usable to upgrade up to 550 miles US / North America, Mexico, Central America and Caribbean on almost all fares, including deep discount economy. They cost $30 each, and I get four free every 10,000 flown miles, basically. My upgrade record as a Platinum was not bad at all.

Careful. We don't want to confuse an AA-newbie here. What this means is that you may travel up to 50mi more than your stickers "technically" let you. So, for a 548mi trip, it's one sticker. For a 1045mi trip, it's two stickers. But for a 1094mi trip, you need three. You don't get to tack 50mi. onto each sticker, just the total stickers.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01

2. I don't know if when you achieve Gold or Platinum level, one would normally receive an initial deposit of 500 mile upgrades. But when I was status matched, I did not receive any. You will have to either purchase them, as mentioned previously, or earn them through 10K miles of flying.

Are you sure? I've never heard of this before. The only thing you get upon qualification is the appropriate mileage bonus added to the qualfying flight. Is this new? I qualfied for both GLD and PLT, and, of course got nothing, but last year I also qualified for GLD on my own, and didn't get any extras.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.