Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Cairo :(

All, booked this OW150C award itinerary for my wife, 4-year-old son and myself a couple of weeks ago:

SFO-ORD-LAX- MAD-CAI-AMM-DEL, CMB-SIN-BKK-HKG-SFO
==(in July)=== ===(in late-Nov)== ====(in late Dec)====

But, this was before Cairo started 'burning'

Although the hop (a 4-day stay) in Cairo is scheduled for late November, I'm very apprehensive about the timing now given what Mubarak's saying about leaving in September, the possibility of further unrest and so on and so forth.

Tried calling AA for a possible (forbidden) change in routing (through Athens: MAD-ATH-AMM) and talked to a supervisor as well but, no, they stuck to their guns that, given that these dates are so far out, they cannot bend the rules and allow a change in the routing. They are only accommodating folks traveling in the next few days in February on IB/BA into Cairo.

Looking for any suggestions / creative thinking here... Don't want to have to fork out $150 per head (as the miles came from each of our 3 accounts) to get the miles reinstated and also lose award inventory on some of these high-demand dates

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If AA won't let you change the itinerary without redepositing the miles and paying $150 per person, then you can't do it. Did you buy travel insurance? If so, you could contact the insurance company to see if it would reimburse you for the redeposit fees.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by garimell
All, booked this OW150C award itinerary for my wife, 4-year-old son and myself a couple of weeks ago:

Options right now appear to be: Cancel the trip; pay the fees and change the ticket; just change the CAI-AMM date to take the next flight out (date changes are free).

I do tend to agree that late November is far enough and you can afford to wait and watch. The problem may take care of itself by then. Otherwise you'l have the same options at a later date.

Good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the hop (a 4-day stay) in Cairo is scheduled for late November, I'm very apprehensive about the timing now given what Mubarak's saying about leaving in September, the possibility of further unrest and so on and so forth.

Tried calling AA for a possible (forbidden) change in routing (through Athens: MAD-ATH-AMM) and talked to a supervisor as well but, no, they stuck to their guns that, given that these dates are so far out, they cannot bend the rules and allow a change in the routing. They are only accommodating folks traveling in the next few days in February on IB/BA into Cairo.

Looking for any suggestions / creative thinking here... Don't want to have to fork out $150 per head (as the miles came from each of our 3 accounts) to get the miles reinstated and also lose award inventory on some of these high-demand dates

Thanks in advance!
You can still travel for up till the Egypt portion and see what the situation is much closer to November then decide what to do.

AA has accommodated folks during the BKK airport siege but not until in the middle of the event.

AA also has known to cancel partial award and re-deposit partial miles in similar situations.

So you need to wait and see.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
If AA won't let you change the itinerary without redepositing the miles and paying $150 per person, then you can't do it. Did you buy travel insurance? If so, you could contact the insurance company to see if it would reimburse you for the redeposit fees.
Originally Posted by aktchi
Options right now appear to be: Cancel the trip; pay the fees and change the ticket; just change the CAI-AMM date to take the next flight out (date changes are free). I do tend to agree that late November is far enough and you can afford to wait and watch. The problem may take care of itself by then. Otherwise you'l have the same options at a later date.
Originally Posted by Happy
You can still travel for up till the Egypt portion and see what the situation is much closer to November then decide what to do. AA has accommodated folks during the BKK airport siege but not until in the middle of the event. AA also has known to cancel partial award and re-deposit partial miles in similar situations.
Thanks all! Yes, I might as well wing it. If things do look bad (and if I can't get a reroute for whatever reason), I'll probably stay longer in Madrid and do a quick hop through CAI into AMM. It'd be a shame to miss out on Egypt though.

No, no travel insurance (as that seems to cost pretty much the same as most of the redeposit fees!)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
If things do look bad (and if I can't get a reroute for whatever reason), I'll probably stay longer in Madrid and do a quick hop through CAI into AMM. It'd be a shame to miss out on Egypt though.
If you had to, you could cut down your stay in CAI to as little as 5 hours. Of course it would be nice if the situation settles down and you are able to see the city.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Total fees, surcharges, & taxes per person: $308.63 (not including booking fee)

SFO > ORD (AA first)
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
TOTAL: $2.50 per person

ORD > DCA (AA first)
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50

DCA > JFK > LHR (AA first, business)
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.00
TOTAL: $5.00 per person

LHR > MAD > VCE (IB business)
United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) $38.40
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $34.90
Spanish Airport Services Charge (JD) $10.30
Spanish Security Tax (QV) $3.60
TOTAL: $87.20 per person

VCE > FCO (cruise)

FCO > BUD (MA business)
Italian Embarkation Tax (IT) $7.20
Italian Security Charge (VT) $2.50
Italian Security Bag Charge (EX) $2.80
Italian Council City Tax (HB) $7.50
Italian Passenger Service Charge (MJ) $1.00
TOTAL: $21.00 per person

BUD > FRA (MA business)
Hungarian Airport Tax (HU) $20.20
Hungarian Security Charge (FE) $10.70
TOTAL: $30.90 per person

FRA > HEL (AY business)
German Airport Security Tax (DE) $9.00
German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $30.80
German Air Transport Tax (OY) $11.00
TOTAL: $50.80 per person

HEL > CDG (AY business)
Finland International Passenger Fee (FI) $13.20
Finland Security Charge (DQ) $5.00
TOTAL: $18.20 per person

ORY > MAD (IB business)
French Aviation Civile Tax (€4.17) $5.77
French International Passenger Service Charge (€10.23) $14.16
French Airport Tax (€12.75) $17.65
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (€10.00) $13.84
TOTAL: $51.42 per person

MAD > JFK (IB business)
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
Spanish Airport Services Charge (€10.98) $15.20
Spanish Security Tax (€2.61) $3.61
TOTAL: $36.31 per person

JFK > SFO (AA business)
US September 11th Security Fee $2.50

If you booked CDG > LHR (connection) > JFK on BA business and AA business, the fees/taxes/surcharges would be $184.50, which is $96.77 more than ORY > MAD (stopover) > JFK on IB business.
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $31.50
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $4.10
French Aviation Civile Tax (FR) $5.70
French International Passenger Service Charge (QX) $16.60
French Airport Tax (FR) $17.50
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) $54.80
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $36.80
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
Austin, AA is insisting that it is $350 per person + booking fee. I'm awaiting explanation. Your math seems so precise/exact that I'm trying to make sure I'm not getting nickel and dimed somewhere. Is there a common error that AA tends to make in overcharging? I'm trying to find the difference!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

mariobey, I'm wondering if AA neglected to remove some of the extra U.S. taxes/fees that were appropriately assessed when you had a BA segment on the held itinerary.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mariobey
Austin, AA is insisting that it is $350 per person + booking fee. I'm awaiting explanation. Your math seems so precise/exact that I'm trying to make sure I'm not getting nickel and dimed somewhere. Is there a common error that AA tends to make in overcharging? I'm trying to find the difference!
I don't know of any. But let us know what you find out.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:47 am

Thanks all! Yes, I might as well wing it. If things do look bad (and if I can't get a reroute for whatever reason), I'll probably stay longer in Madrid and do a quick hop through CAI into AMM. It'd be a shame to miss out on Egypt though.

No, no travel insurance (as that seems to cost pretty much the same as most of the redeposit fees!)
November is SO far out that probably by then things will be very calm. Egypt as a nation must get the tourists in to survive. AMM is not safer than CAI and the revolution can start in Jordan any day. This is wild fire.

If everything is calm in Cairo in Nov. I highly recommend spending 8 days in the country and travel down to Luxor, Aswan and the Abu Simble temples. Cairo is nice but nothing beats these locations including a three day cruise on the Nile from Aswan to Luxor or the other way around.

My guess is that tourists in the places I just mentioned are safe even now.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

mariobey, I'm wondering if AA neglected to remove some of the extra U.S. taxes/fees that were appropriately assessed when you had a BA segment on the held itinerary.
That was exactly my thoughts a few days earlier. It seems to me that mariobey's itinerary should not be costing more than mine which does includes a BA shorthaul flight. Than again YMMV

I'll have some time later today to break downl the taxes for my itinerary.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:57 am

After an hour on the phone, I suspect there is aprox. $43 luxury tax ORY > MAD that was not factored in above.

Business class out of paris (ORY) has this tax apparently.

At least that was the explanation I was given. I will know more once I have my ticket and can assess the breakdown. I hope I can help in providing information back to FT after all the help I received.

And if you spot an error once I get it (probably Monday) then just let me know and I'll take the gloves off and go back to work.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After an hour on the phone, I suspect there is aprox. $43 luxury tax ORY > MAD that was not factored in above.

At least that was the explanation I was given. I will know more once I have my ticket and can assess the breakdown. I hope I can help in providing information back to FT after all the help I received.

And if you spot an error once I get it (probably Monday) then just let me know and I'll take the gloves off and go back to work.
I dont remember seeing tax details on e-ticket. However if you get a ticket stock print out from the airport agent the tax details are listed there.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Mystery solved. They're talking about the French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ). They're charging you (€40.00) $54.80 instead of (€10.00) $13.84. They are correct because your first stopover after leaving France is the U.S., not Spain (where you are making only a connection). I imagine the remaining $2 difference is due to minor currency exchange rate fluctuations. I was not aware of this wrinkle when I listed all the taxes, etc. for you.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:16 pm

Mystery solved. They're talking about the French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ). They're charging you (€40.00) $54.80 instead of (€10.00) $13.84. They are correct because your first stopover after leaving France is the U.S., not Spain (where you are making only a connection). I imagine the remaining $2 difference is due to minor currency exchange rate fluctuations. I was not aware of this wrinkle when I listed all the taxes, etc. for you.
Actually, Madrid IS a stopover for 2 days.

And...the AA rep then said that we weren't charged this fee after all but that we SHOULD have been charged it and it might go up during ticketing/review.

Additionally, this also doesn't solve where the original upcharge came from.

I'm resigned to waiting until it is ticketed to actually view the details myself and we'll try and learn together.

Either way, we are HAPPY campers. Thank you Austin and Happy and all who contributed to this thread.

I will post additional details as I learn them for the benefit of other members as I get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.