FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:17 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garimell
All, booked this OW150C award itinerary for my wife, 4-year-old son and myself a couple of weeks ago:

SFO-ORD-LAX- MAD-CAI-AMM-DEL, CMB-SIN-BKK-HKG-SFO
==(in July)=== ===(in late-Nov)== ====(in late Dec)====

But, this was before Cairo started 'burning'

Although the hop (a 4-day stay) in Cairo is scheduled for late November, I'm very apprehensive about the timing now given what Mubarak's saying about leaving in September, the possibility of further unrest and so on and so forth.

Tried calling AA for a possible (forbidden) change in routing (through Athens: MAD-ATH-AMM) and talked to a supervisor as well but, no, they stuck to their guns that, given that these dates are so far out, they cannot bend the rules and allow a change in the routing. They are only accommodating folks traveling in the next few days in February on IB/BA into Cairo.

Looking for any suggestions / creative thinking here... Don't want to have to fork out $150 per head (as the miles came from each of our 3 accounts) to get the miles reinstated and also lose award inventory on some of these high-demand dates

Thanks in advance!
You can still travel for up till the Egypt portion and see what the situation is much closer to November then decide what to do.

AA has accommodated folks during the BKK airport siege but not until in the middle of the event.

AA also has known to cancel partial award and re-deposit partial miles in similar situations.

So you need to wait and see.

Good luck.