Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Experience with AA RTW Desk

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Disappointing Experience with AA RTW Desk

I had a rough time recently with the AA RTW desk when attempting to book a RTW AONE3 ticket, to the point where I believe they were intentionally deceptive in trying to book me on AA flights/codeshares over OW partners' flights.

The first bad experience came when I was trying to WL for CX 831, the JFK-HKG nonstop. AA told me that they could not waitlist for the flight, and pressed me to ticket on the previous night connection via YVR where they were able to book me in the AA codeshare. When I pressed and asked if they could request CX to open up an A class seat on the nonstop, they told me there was nothing they could do and to call CX. When I called CX, they told me they could only process a request to clear a seat if I had a WL on that flight, which in this case had to be done by AA because they had control of the RTW booking record.

When I told the CX agent that AA told me that they were unable to WL me on that flight, she paused and then said: "no, they should be able to do that." She then proceeded to initiate a conference call and conference in an AA RTW agent where the CX agent instructed the AA agent to WL me on the CX flight (and the request cleared within an hour!).

It turns out that AA was unable to WL the AA codeshare but was quite able to WL under the CX flight number. I think I was intentionally provided the wrong information by AA becasue they thought they had me over a barrel (I had to ticket within 24 hours) and I would have to fly the AA codeshare via Vancouver. Of coruse, my preference is/was to book on the AA codeshare on CX 831 (AA 6091), if for no other reason than I lose 8,000 QF status bonus, because QF only gives status bonus miles on AA and BA, but not CX. But ignoring the bonus miles, I'd certainly rather be on the best flight at the best time (nonstop, departing at 3:50 PM), than depart JFK at 11:15 PM and fly all night and stopover at 5AM in YVR, on the wrong date to boot, just to get 8,000 more miles.

In addition, I found the AA RTW agent I was woking with to be hesitant to agree to book me on BA vs. AA from LHR-BOS, because "we prefer that you fly AA". In fact, the original RTW agent that I was working with actually told me that I could not connect on the same day DME-LHR-BOS, when it turns out that the BA DME-LHR flight arrives from Moscow in time to legally connect with the last BA LHR-BOS flight at 7:35PM -- just not the the last AA LHR-BOS flight at 6:05PM.

Naturally, I would be thrilled to fly AA LHR-BOS, if AA offered remotely comparable service!!!

All in all, I have become pretty unhappy with the AA RTW staff; in addition to what I believe to be intentional misdirection or miscommunication, I find that some of them can be "dangerous", because they know some of the rules, but tend to think that they know all the rules, while admittedly some of them are very knowledgeable and helpful. On the comlpimentary side, I was pleased with the follow thru by one agent who called me back to tell me that my WL had cleared and then offered to stay on top of the ticketing process given my tight timetable, but the other negatives are much more substantial.

More troubling is the fact that they obviously can be very reluctant when it comes to non-AA bookings on routes which AA serves directly or via codeshare -- to the point of not disclosing other carriers flights or cooperating with waitlists on those carriers, etc.

As a result, I will try to avoid using the AA RTW desk whenever possible, even though they would be my natural preference/tendancy.

Last edited by nologic; May 15, 2005 at 1:12 pm
Old May 15, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
I think if I were AA, I would eliminate the RTW fares. What is the point? Does AA make money on these....I doubt it.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:13 pm
Suspended

I have a variety of reactions to a few of the things you posted, I'll say this:
1. Some of the RTW desk folks are not good-- specially on the weekends-- and the new ones.
2. Some of them are by far my favorite AA personnel that I ever get to deal with.
3. I've had "issues" with one or two
4. One or two I consider personal friends-- as do other FTers-- just super, super helpful, competent, professional and friendly.
5. Personally, I understand "why" they try and force AA flights-- especially the trans-atlantics-- it's their airline and, IMHO, they have a right to be a bit "pushy" about it. But never misinform to do so-- that's inexcusable, if that's what happened. Sure BA trans-atlantic F is much nicer, but I don't really go out my way to tell people who are employed by AMR this fact, rubbing it in their face. YMMV.

6. And-- most importantly. It is my informed belief that AA has the best OW RTW desk-- YMMV, big time-- but that's what I've concluded. Try QF or CX instead-- that's your prerogative. If you like 'em better-- use 'em.

BTW, I think you'd get far better/more feedback in the OW forum.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AA53
I think if I were AA, I would eliminate the RTW fares. What is the point? Does AA make money on these....I doubt it.
Hard for AA to eliminate a Oneworld fare.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Thanks-- as always-- for your incredibly useful input.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Check out the OneWorld forum and get informed.

Some of us dedicated RTWers are also major premium ticket purchasers as well.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viajero
Hard for AA to eliminate a Oneworld fare.
Good point (way, way, way over his head, though)

I'm sure he thinks AA should get rid of OneWorld as well-- after all "What is the point?"
Old May 15, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Starwood Gold
I've had an AONE4 booked and ticketed for about 3 months, and two weeks ago I decided to switch from AA LHR-LAX to BA. I called up the AA RTW desk to ask for the change, and the agent said she'd "rather be safe than sorry too", regarding the possible coffin/FS Suite switches happening recently and happily changed my flight. All the other times I have also gotten incredible agents. I wonder what happened?

MBSL600
Old May 15, 2005, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MercedesSL600Man
I've had an AONE4 booked and ticketed for about 3 months, and two weeks ago I decided to switch from AA LHR-LAX to BA. I called up the AA RTW desk to ask for the change, and the agent said she'd "rather be safe than sorry too", regarding the possible coffin/FS Suite switches happening recently and happily changed my flight. All the other times I have also gotten incredible agents. I wonder what happened?

MBSL600
I'm telling you exactly what happened-- he got a [series of] bad agent[s.] RTW desk is under a lot of pressure recently-- I can't say anymore than that, but they are. It's not different than any other YMMV situation-- great EP agents, crappy EP agents, great FA's, horrible FA's. I only use the RTW desk folks that i know personally and that I know know their stuff. But, they can't all be "winners" in the end, if ya' know what I mean.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a theory that could explain, in part, maybe, what happened, but it is a bit technical, so I too invite the OP to discuss this in the OW forum, where better minds than mine can, and will, set the record right if I'm talking through my hat.
Old May 15, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm telling you exactly what happened-- he got a [series of] bad agent[s.] RTW desk is under a lot of pressure recently-- I can't say anymore than that, but they are. It's not different than any other YMMV situation-- great EP agents, crappy EP agents, great FA's, horrible FA's. I only use the RTW desk folks that i know personally and that I know know their stuff. But, they can't all be "winners" in the end, if ya' know what I mean.
I know, I know. I only asked what happened as a hypothetical thing. It's such a bummer that you could be dealing with a great company (or great part ), but you get a couple bad apples in a row by coincidence and it spoils your taste.

MBSL600

PS. Congrats on your recent 9,000 posts. I'm up to 17 now!
Old May 15, 2005, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viajero
I have a theory that could explain, in part, maybe, what happened, but it is a bit technical, so I too invite the OP to discuss this in the OW forum, where better minds than mine can, and will, set the record right if I'm talking through my hat.
Far better than mine too, and I agree, OP will get better input there, for sure, especially about which-- if any-- other RTW desks are better (certainly not BA.)
Old May 15, 2005, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MercedesSL600Man
I know, I know. I only asked what happened as a hypothetical thing. It's such a bummer that you could be dealing with a great company (or great part ), but you get a couple bad apples in a row by coincidence and it spoils your taste.
I know you knew. It was more rhetorical the way you axed. And you bring up a good point-- I always had such magnificent experiences with RTW desk that the day I got a bad agent (rude, ignorant of the rules, accusatory, confrontational and angry) it was a much bigger shock than if I had, say, ran into the same attitude at the DMV.
Old May 15, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good point (way, way, way over his head, though)

I'm sure he thinks AA should get rid of OneWorld as well-- after all "What is the point?"

It looks like I have traveled twice as much as you so I am not sure about the "over my head" comment. I don't do it for "sport" like many here. I travel because it is how I earn my living. I understand "One World". My point is that the discount RTW fares could be raised and the airlines could earn more by charging point to point fares.

A recent RTW fare was $5900... less than a business class ticket from DFW-LGW.
Old May 15, 2005, 4:43 pm

AAgreed

It looks like I have traveled twice as much as you so I am not sure about the "over my head" comment. I don't do it for "sport" like many here. I travel because it is how I earn my living. I understand "One World". My point is that the discount RTW fares could be raised and the airlines could earn more by charging point to point fares.

A recent RTW fare was $5900... less than a business class ticket from DFW-LGW.

Well stated

^ ^ ^
Old May 15, 2005, 4:53 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Originally Posted by AA in CA
Well stated
Don't feed the Troll!

Seriously. Have a look at AA53's original post. What purpose did his post serve in response to the OPs well formed concerns ???

All JonNYC did was point out this fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.