Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Appeal to AA (and attempts) to bring back the SOS / SomeOne Special program [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appeal to AA (and attempts) to bring back the SOS / SomeOne Special program [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 11:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Can we stay focused...

Originally Posted by hillrider
How about AA handing "three strikes you're out cards" instead? Any time a customer is subject to bad service we fill one and send it in to AA. Once an employee gets three of them, they're out.

Simple, and effective. And something that the union should be supportive of, as it would clean out the ranks of non-professional members.

[Note: the program wouldn't work in practice because less honest customers would start blackmailing employees, so don't take me seriously. But I stand by the point that although the S.O.S. program made me feel better, the average professionalism of AA's employees is still abismally behind that of CX, BA, QF, LH and LX, just to name a few recent personal experiences]
I see what you are saying but-- as you say-- there is no possibility of such a system (nor should there be, IMHO) and yes, all airlines are better than AA in your experience, BUT, maybe we can just focused, in this thread, on if the SOS program is valuable to us. Your point is well-taken; you don't think so. But I'd like folks from AA reading this thread to get a real feeling for how a return of the SOS program might be received. Other threads can be used for over-all evaluation of AA employees and/or novel new ways to punish bad ones (despite union protections that would never allow same,) etc.
Old May 10, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I say we go the grassroots way to bring it back..

I just whipped this up on photoshop. Let me know how I can change the text and or make another side to it with the URL of this thread and a "Please bring it back" or something..

SOS 2004

Flipside
Old May 10, 2004, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flipside
I say we go the grassroots way to bring it back..

I just whipped this up on photoshop. Let me know how I can change the text and or make another side to it with the URL of this thread and a "Please bring it back" or something..

SOS 2004

Flipside
Looks good. I would like to see a place (maybe on the other side of the card) to print the name & AAdvantage # of the FTer as well as the name of the employee (similar to the original S.O.S).

Thanks,
Old May 10, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by hillrider
Some empirical observation: when the S.O.S. program was stopped after ten+ years, AA still had a high ration of employees that don't really care about the customer. From an analytical perspective, it was an abismal failure.
If I understand this correctly, you are saying that because you have experienced a number of AA employees "that don't really care", this proves that the SOS program was not just a failure, but an "abismal (sic) failure".

Wow! I respectfully disagree with that "analytical perspective".

My experience is completely opposite. I have run into a "high ration" of AA employees who seem to truly care about the customer. Since our empirical evidence is now a wash, does that meant that the SOS was neither a success nor a failure but rather just a neutral program that AA sponsored for 10+ years?

Sure, there are some employees with attitude problems, but how is that evidence that the SOS program was a failure? From an "analytical perspective", wouldn't it also be possible to deduce that there might be even more disgruntled, jaded employees had it not been for the SOS program?

There are always individuals who strive to excel in their duties without needing additional rewards. And there are always those who do the least amount of work necessary despite any incentives to do more. The SOS program cannot alter basic human nature. But a return of the SOS gives those of us who want to express immediate appreciation a chance to do so. And hopefully it gives employees who have earned this appreciation a little extra credit with AA.
Old May 10, 2004, 1:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Yes agree we need to recognize the folks at AA who are wonderful at their jobs and make our traveling with them a pleasure.
With that said good idea above we could use a few certs to weed out the bad apples too !
Old May 10, 2004, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Lightbulb

Great idea - wrong implementation.

We need ...... eSOS !

If someone does something special, just tell him you will post it in a special file on the AMR Corp website and at the end of the year, if all goes well, they will see a summary of the eSOS's.

Why kill a forest on paper?
Old May 10, 2004, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Thumbs up Bring 'em back!

Count me in, Jon. This is one of the things AA should be actively looking at regardless of the cost. The excellent idea below would also work, but we would still need some means of recording the employee and base number. (I know a few of my favorite FA's have great business cards for this purpose, but I suspect not all do.) This is why the little form would still be ideal.

Originally Posted by AAFA
AA, apparently, saves millions by not printing them. Most of our fliers are e-mail and internet savvy. I think we should have online SOS's where you can go to AA.com and punch in a flight number and the persons name to acknowledge you thought they did a great job. Then the company has a way to acknowledge it and the employee will receive notification that they had good feedback. No paper, no waste.

Letter writing itself is a tedious business. Many people say they thought you were great and that they will write a letter and don't. If you have a simple, pre-written, form that you only need to punch in two things then I think more people would do it.

The SOS programs flaw was that AA management never saw the SOS's unless you photo copied it for them to put in your file. Most of us just saved them up and turned them in for INTL first class or Hawaii tickets. When you redeemed them at the ticket counter your manager never saw them.
BTW AAFA, some of us do actually write those letters.
Old May 10, 2004, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sagy
Looks good. I would like to see a place (maybe on the other side of the card) to print the name & AAdvantage # of the FTer as well as the name of the employee (similar to the original S.O.S).

Thanks,
How's this. I just copied the text off an old one.

Flipside
Old May 10, 2004, 3:33 pm

Cool idea and form, Flipside & Jon. An "e" version might save AA some bucks compared to the old program. I'm all for this, I miss the heck out of giving those out to really good FA's, GA's & CSR's. I'm going to print out Flipside's form and bring it with me tomorrow, I have a 4 segment SEA-DFW-FLL-DFW-SEA on AA...think I'll run it by the troops and see what their reaction is. Does Randy possibly have any issues with the FlyerTalk logo beiong associated with this possible member movement?

I'd love to see a grassroots movement to bring this back, but somehow at a really low cost so AA's beancounters couldn't refuse it! Man, I love positive posts and ideas like this....
Old May 10, 2004, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flipside
How's this. I just copied the text off an old one.

Flipside
That look SO !

I like the idea, but I do hope AA will take an official look at bringing back the SOS themselves. I love the idea of the flyertalk.com on there-- it looks great.
Old May 10, 2004, 3:48 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Question As an EXP newbie, can someone explain the SOS program?

Like what the pax and the AA agent got in exchange for the SOS Cert?
Old May 10, 2004, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
A passenger did not get anything tangible out of the program, other than the actual SOS cards to hand-out. I personally got substantial satisfaction out of recognizing exceptional employees and seeing their reactions, but I cannot really quantify.

For the employees, my understanding is that they could trade them in for "prizes," such as free travel (must somehow have been different than their usual free travel benefits).
Old May 10, 2004, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Staff could trade them in for stuff, and for confirmed space on flights for themselves and friends and family, no stand-by like their current free travel
Old May 10, 2004, 5:05 pm

I never had the benefit of this program, but from what I have read think it was/is a great idea.

I have a vote for storing SOS data on your AA elite card, say 14 for EXPs, 8 for PLTs and 6 for GLDs. With a software tweak you could enter the SOS in the kiosks when you next checked in, or at a terminal with a card reader in the AC while you had nothing better to do. You would get a screen with your last 3-5 flights, a field to check for SOS, then a keyboard for the FAs name and any comments you'd care to make, and the AA processing systems would automatically zing the employee an e-mail and cc the appropriate supervisors. I know it would be more sensible to do it as you left the flight, but those kiosk probably cost too much to dedicate them to that use. Just another option to kick in, although I like the grassroots version too.
Old May 10, 2004, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eamus
I never had the benefit of this program, but from what I have read think it was/is a great idea.

I have a vote for storing SOS data on your AA elite card, say 14 for EXPs, 8 for PLTs and 6 for GLDs. With a software tweak you could enter the SOS in the kiosks when you next checked in, or at a terminal with a card reader in the AC while you had nothing better to do. You would get a screen with your last 3-5 flights, a field to check for SOS, then a keyboard for the FAs name and any comments you'd care to make, and the AA processing systems would automatically zing the employee an e-mail and cc the appropriate supervisors. I know it would be more sensible to do it as you left the flight, but those kiosk probably cost too much to dedicate them to that use. Just another option to kick in, although I like the grassroots version too.
Considering they don't even expect to have the eVIP system fully up and running until August (at the earliest) this might be a bit ambitious for them right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.