Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
thats allright - over the years, I have accumulated additional padding of my own
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Great news! Look's like they're pretty serious about stepping up their game vs other U.S. carriers.

Next up: do something about the offerrings of the AC...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by sts603
Originally Posted by spsawant
How exactly is AA going to make money on these flights with 72 coach seats? The 10 First class seats will be either filled with Non Revs, Awards or those 1-2 people who purchased the J seat and then got upgraded. The J cabin will be filled with 90% coach travelers who get upgraded to Business. Thus basically you will have about 90 people paying Coach fares and max 5 people paying J fares on the entire flight. Looks like AA will be heading to a second bankruptcy again in 2014/2015
Thats simply inaccurate. These flights will only fly JFK-SFO-LAX where there is SUBSTANTIAL demand for both F and J at very high fares. On peak flights, J sells out routinely.
They'll undoubtedly find their way onto MIALAX, too, just not on every frequency like from JFK.

Last edited by MAH4546; Jul 23, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Basically, the IFS J seats will become the AFS F seats.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Thats simply inaccurate. These flights will only fly JFK-SFO-LAX where there is SUBSTANTIAL demand for both F and J at very high fares. On peak flights, J sells out routinely.
Right, but for 10 F seats? I get it on a 762, that's 2 rows. You either have 5 or 10 seats.

But at 2 seats per row you could easily do 6 or 8, making it feel even more private while allowing for more pax in the back
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:23 am

A successful AA requires them to cater first to paid-premium fares, not upgraders.
+1

The seats look great!

Looks like the A321 J seat is similar to pmCO long-haul J and A321 F is the new AA long-haul J seat.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by AZbba
Right, but for 10 F seats? I get it on a 762, that's 2 rows. You either have 5 or 10 seats.

But at 2 seats per row you could easily do 6 or 8, making it feel even more private while allowing for more pax in the back
That does seem a bit optimistic of F demand. I think with a big difference from J to F, at least in terms of hard product, it could work. Hopefully anyways.

I just hope the F cabin does not do double duty as the FA break room.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well this answers the riddle of what will replace the 762s. Upgrades may be a bit tougher (even for EXPs) but at least E+ will soften the blow a little if one does get stuck back in Y (along with free BOB and booze for EXPs.)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
This could be nothing but I noticed from the video that AA dropped the traditional blue/red color scheme for "AmericanAirlines" in all white. They also left out the eagle.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

at last PTV for domestic services

Hi,

Well, not the biggest news of the year, but still quite a positive news. I really like it that they have at least now PTV if you are stuck in Coach, with your PTV. This will be first for domestic (besides those irregular 777 sectors).

Cheers!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AZbba

Given how expensive three-class F is, my guess is they wanted to air on the side of abundance. There are definitely times that the 10F on the current 762s sell out - especially on LAX. Also, when that's not the case, they can certainly treat it like they do most JFK-LHR flights overselling J and then upgrading elites on the most expensive J fares to F. The latter is probably better than having to turn down $4,500 r/t F fares on any type of frequent basis.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Remember, all of the above are AA's current PLANS. Plans can (and do) change anytime. Plenty of examples from the past 10 years.

These aircraft will not be arriving for a year or more. Plenty of time for AA to change its mind.

I don't want to be the party pooper; I just want to be cautiously optimistic.

I will believe it when these cabins become bookable. Not before.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: A few
As someone who is often critical of AA I think this is a great and smart move on their part. And they are claiming it will all be done in 2013 so not in some remote distant future.

As for why 10 F seats, well I would say given the high volume of both celebrity business that AA gets on these routes along with (at least for now) NY bankers going to leech off the social media nouveau riche, I'd say they are pretty confident they can fill them out on a regular basis.

And yes upgrades will now go through the window. Last time I flew AA transcon earlier this year while I was still EXP I tried to use a eVIP and I was still 7th on the list at boarding. I'd say even Main Cabin Extra will be hard fought for on these. But that is good business sense for them. This to me represents a shift from being a crappy airlne with a great rewards program to a better airline with ... well, we'll see.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
An interesting question will be frequency/# of flights per day and, as a result, total # of F/J/E+/E seats available. If they put up more lift, the number of F/J seats could be comparable to now. Admittedly, upgrades on these routes (LAX in particular) are tough today. I don't see them getting easier but if the difficulty factor stayed roughly the same, that would be fair. Today, booking in advance, and using miles is a reasonable approach if you want/need upgrade.

I'd really like it if they put on more lift as the added flexibility would be great. Right now, the JFK-SFO has a big vacuum between 10AM and 3:30. A 1PM flight that gets in a 5PM would be great. Finally, the smaller planes open up the possibility of running decent transcon service to SAN/SEA/PDX/PHX if demand warrants. Lot more flexibility comes with them.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Hope those Y seats are just mockups - they look seriously thick to fit the IFE unit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.