Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I sincerely apologise if this has been asked but if this becomes successful then could these special A321's be used on other possible premiums markets like LAX-DCA or LAX-MIA or even LAX-BOS?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PotNoodle
I sincerely apologise if this has been asked but if this becomes successful then could these special A321's be used on other possible premiums markets like LAX-DCA or LAX-MIA or even LAX-BOS?
That's certainly possible, although there's a low probability (IMO) of that happening. AA's experiment with three class transcons between BOS-LAX/SFO and IAD-LAX and JFK-SAN (and perhaps others) did not last long, effectively killed by September 11 and the growth of B6. Much more likely between Miami and LA, IMO, as that market currently has two daily 777s this summer.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's certainly possible, although there's a low probability (IMO) of that happening. AA's experiment with three class transcons between BOS-LAX/SFO and IAD-LAX and JFK-SAN (and perhaps others) did not last long, effectively killed by September 11 and the growth of B6. Much more likely between Miami and LA, IMO, as that market currently has two daily 777s this summer.
I guess I would think MIA-LAX would always demand more Y seats along with lots of premium seats - hence why its been the only consistent 777 domestically.

My guess is DCA-LAX will command a high Y fare and its not like AA can just get a new slot and run more A321s to add the seats.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by carlosdca
The widebodies feel more spacious and less cramped. Double aisles, ok. I get that. But wouldn't the more modern seats, IFE, etc compensate for that?
I think the comparison that people are envisaging is between narrowbodies with the more modern seats vs. widebodies with (again) the more modern seats. In that case, the widebodies would of course be more comfortable.

My favorite aircraft in the AA fleet is the 75L (traveling in J), so I don't have anything against narrowbodies. That said, widebodies usually have a smoother ride and give a greater sense of space inside. For that reason, my favorite aircraft overall is the 747, and I imagine that will be replaced by the A380 after my first ride

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think that AA has peaked into the future…
http://twitter.com/StealthMountain
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
No one has mentioned the gridlock in the skies over NYC, and AA's plan to add smaller planes will serve to increase that gridlock as each AA transcon airbus will have 37% fewer seats that the 767-223s. Those SFO flights when compared to the 767-323s will have even higher percentage of lost seats. All those passengers displaced from the full AA transcons will need to go elsewhere at JFK.
Flights at peak hours are capped at LGA @ 71 flights per hour, and 81 per hour at JFK and EWR so it will be difficult to increase the flights out of JFK because of gridlock on the ground as well as in the air. One solution to reduce the gridlock is to add larger, not smaller planes to the mix with less frequent schedules. Many of us have been delayed flyling throughout the U.S. because of delays at NYC airports, and AA's plan to add smaller planes should increase this gridlock at the same time that predictions are that additional passengers will need to be flying.

Below is a article describing the gridlock at NYC airports.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...ked/52893264/1
Not that the traffic on the ground is better...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT (trying to find away to EXP, SPG Gold
Like what I see but I noticed that they are also saying that 777 International service is going to on board WiFi. WiFi on TransPac/Atlantic flights? HMMMMM
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by scnzzz
The math may actually be a lot simpler, just using a back-of-envelope approach.

Scenario 1: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. No additional flights.
Expecting J/F paid revenue to drop proportionally is unrealistic - in fact, IMO it will likely increase (relative to the number of seats offered) due to the improved hard product. So - far fewer upgrades for elites buying Y

Scenario 2: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. Frequencies increased somehow (!) to provide the approximately same number of total seats
This should (assuming that the new frequencies are all A321Neo) increase the J/Y ratio. So perhaps more upgrade opportunities; even if the number of paid F/J increases somewhat due to the better hard product.

Or somewhere in between - possibly with 77W repositioning, or some middle point in the number of seats offered. In which case the outcome will be somewhere in between.

But I would submit that until AA publishes a schedule so that the number and ratio of seats are known, predicting the likelihood of elite Y-J upgrades is at best a WAG.

My $0.02.
Did you mean to say A321T rather than A321 Neo ? The 321T (What AA has named this sub-fleet) is what will be used on these routes starting in 2013, the 321 Neo won't be available for a few years later, and no announcement has been made to their disposition.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by scnzzz
The math may actually be a lot simpler, just using a back-of-envelope approach.

Scenario 1: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. No additional flights.
Expecting J/F paid revenue to drop proportionally is unrealistic - in fact, IMO it will likely increase (relative to the number of seats offered) due to the improved hard product. So - far fewer upgrades for elites buying Y

Scenario 2: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. Frequencies increased somehow (!) to provide the approximately same number of total seats
This should (assuming that the new frequencies are all A321Neo) increase the J/Y ratio. So perhaps more upgrade opportunities; even if the number of paid F/J increases somewhat due to the better hard product.

Or somewhere in between - possibly with 77W repositioning, or some middle point in the number of seats offered. In which case the outcome will be somewhere in between.

But I would submit that until AA publishes a schedule so that the number and ratio of seats are known, predicting the likelihood of elite Y-J upgrades is at best a WAG.

My $0.02.

Perhaps a WAG, but realistically AA must be planning to add more flights.

I have flown this route as an EXP 30 times or so the past couple of years.

The load in F fluctuates wildly. Sometimes 1 FA, sometimes full.

The load in J is always full. I realize we don't know how much of that is paid vs upgrade but it seems like it must be close to 30 based on the upgrade success. There are a lot of people who are coming in from Europe onward to LAX or leaving LAX onward to Asia, with paid J. This is the only route where I regularly (30 percent) fail to get upgraded.

So if AA keeps the same 9 flights and I'm right about the 30 paid seats, AA can only sell 180 J seats rather than 270. It becomes even more of a revenue loss because a pax might be unable to buy a J seat to Asia through LAX because of the J seats being sold out.

Then again, maybe I'm just the last EXP on the list!!!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I think the comparison that people are envisaging is between narrowbodies with the more modern seats vs. widebodies with (again) the more modern seats. In that case, the widebodies would of course be more comfortable.
Not if it is a 777 on a 3-4-3 configuration
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Even PTY SAO on CM flights is a 738.
You missed something worse, the longer PTY-MVD CM flight on a 73G .
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
they appear to be the same b/e aerospace diamond seats that UA uses on its sCO BF seats.

http://www.beaerospace.com/products/...ness_class.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankyflier/2713215300/

http://chrisjur.wordpress.com/2009/1...nitial-review/

in all honesty i find them to be pretty comfortable, however you're right they are not angled and you either have to climb over/get climbed over to go to the bathroom.
The ARE angled, I assure you. On the narrowbody, each side is slightly angled toward the window. Your feet go in the space underneath the armrest/console of the seat in front of you, so it has to be turned slightly. And as a result, the pairs are slightly offset from one another, so you're not immediately next to your seatmate. Between that and the center console, there is a bit of extra privacy. No, it's not like what AA will be using as it's international J seat, but it's not bad. (And actually, it's better for couples.)

Here's a photo of the seat on a UA 757. You can see how the seats are slightly angled, and note specifically how the front of each seat cushion is offset from the other.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...57-224/1991474

Here's another view, but on the 777.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Star-...24-ER/1789303/
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
You mean the two seats are "offset" (one sits some small distance ahead/behind the other, but they are still parallel to each other), as opposed to angled (meaning the line made by the seat center is not parallel to the center line of the fuselage, or the two seats are not exactly parallel to each other)?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
You mean the two seats are "offset" (one sits some small distance ahead/behind the other, but they are still parallel to each other), as opposed to angled (meaning the line made by the seat center is not parallel to the center line of the fuselage, or the two seats are not exactly parallel to each other)?
They are parallel to each other, offset from each other, and angled against the centerline of the fuselage.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Will the 3-class 321s have the range to do JFK/BOS-LHR/CDG?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Will the 3-class 321s have the range to do JFK/BOS-LHR/CDG?
Eastbound? No problem with a stiff tailwind. And you can always stop in Ireland if necessary. Westbound? Sure, with a guaranteed fuel stop.

No way would these be used for TATL flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.