Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (consolidated 2012-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00
As much as I hate this new Transcon plane, I don't understand why everyone is touting fewer upgrades in the future because of smaller J/C capacity? While the J/C Cabin will be smaller in the future, so will the Y. So the proportion/percentage remains roughly the same, no?
This has been discussed in the thread many times, but some would argue that just because the number of Y goes down, this doesn't automatically mean the number of available upgrades goes down too. Especially if over all capacity isn't supplemented with more daily frequencies, since this will mean a lower number of available seats each day.

For example, if there are 15 paid J pax on the current 767, that leaves 15 upgrades available now to upgrades. Now with the a321, just because its a smaller plane doesn't mean there won't still be 15 pax paying for J, which would then leave fewer upgrades available.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
For me, the deal breaker was always the angled J seat. The new seats will tempt me to move my int'l travel back to AA, but I won't do it it until the entire long-haul fleet has been converted so I am guessing that is quite some time down the road.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Yes, there is. For pairs, they're relatively private given the angling.

IJGordon, Just wanted to stick in here, but I don't think the future A321 Transcon C/J seat pairs are angled for privacy (I've only seen that in the future 777-300ER international business). From the photos, they seem to stick straight out parallel to each other.

###

Last edited by ThunderStorm00; Jul 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm Reason: Language Typo
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by corporateslave
For example, if there are 15 paid J pax on the current 767, that leaves 15 upgrades available now to upgrades. Now with the a321, just because its a smaller plane doesn't mean there won't still be 15 pax paying for J, which would then leave fewer upgrades available.
You assume that there will be no increase in frequency. I believe that we will likely see increased frequency, especially JFK-LAX.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporateslave
... if over all capacity isn't supplemented with more daily frequencies, since this will mean a lower number of available seats each day.
Originally Posted by dayone
You assume that there will be no increase in frequency. I believe that we will likely see increased frequency, especially JFK-LAX.
No, I didn't.
But, I hope you're right that there will be increased frequency.
It would be nice if they had a couple of widebodys doing a run or two a day to give people the option to fly that if they want.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:51 pm

No one has mentioned the gridlock in the skies over NYC, and AA's plan to add smaller planes will serve to increase that gridlock as each AA transcon airbus will have 37% fewer seats that the 767-223s. Those SFO flights when compared to the 767-323s will have even higher percentage of lost seats. All those passengers displaced from the full AA transcons will need to go elsewhere at JFK.
Flights at peak hours are capped at LGA @ 71 flights per hour, and 81 per hour at JFK and EWR so it will be difficult to increase the flights out of JFK because of gridlock on the ground as well as in the air. One solution to reduce the gridlock is to add larger, not smaller planes to the mix with less frequent schedules. Many of us have been delayed flyling throughout the U.S. because of delays at NYC airports, and AA's plan to add smaller planes should increase this gridlock at the same time that predictions are that additional passengers will need to be flying.

Below is a article describing the gridlock at NYC airports.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...ked/52893264/1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
With a J cabin of just 20 seats, assume that AA sells the same number as before - or 15 seats (the better seats probably means that AA sells MORE of them, but let's assume that AA sells the same 15). That leaves those who buy economy fares, hoping to upgrade, with just five seats into which they can fight for upgrades. See the problem?

I guarantee you that a cut of 33% of the J cabin (from 30 to 20) just made it more difficult to upgrade.

Countering all of that is whether AA adds flights to the schedule. If AA adds a few daily flights, then the number of daily premium seats would remain constant, and upgrading would not be more difficult.
Well that was exactly my presumption... That to retain current Y customers and maintain market share while remaining profitable on this route with such a dearth of Y seats; they would have to increase frequency in schedule and hence the number of daily premium seats might remain at a constant.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
No one has mentioned the gridlock in the skies over NYC, and AA's plan to add smaller planes will serve to increase that gridlock as each AA transcon airbus will have 37% fewer seats that the 767-223s. Those SFO flights when compared to the 767-323s will have even higher percentage of lost seats. All those passengers displaced from the full AA transcons will need to go elsewhere at JFK.
Flights at peak hours are capped at LGA @ 71 flights per hour, and 81 per hour at JFK and EWR so it will be difficult to increase the flights out of JFK because of gridlock on the ground as well as in the air. One solution to reduce the gridlock is to add larger, not smaller planes to the mix with less frequent schedules. Many of us have been delayed flyling throughout the U.S. because of delays at NYC airports, and AA's plan to add smaller planes should increase this gridlock at the same time that predictions are that additional passengers will need to be flying.

I wholeheartedly agree. Larger planes, not smaller planes*, are better from an ATC perspective. Time for AA to buy B6 and stop the gridlock at JFK on its own. LGA is a lost cause, unfortunately, hence why I avoid it for any flights departing after noon.

*However, larger planes have much lower average yields than smaller ones. Eagle's average per-seat yields are considerably higher than mainline AA's average per-seat yields. Why? Because with only 35-45 seats on an ERD/ERJ/135-145, seats will sell at more expensive fare buckets. I used to fly RJs all the time, booking six months out or more, and usually the best fare was a V or N-class fare. By contrast, on an AB6, AA routinely had to offer $99 O-class fares (even on day of departure) just to fill up the back of the bus. Not necessary with smaller birds.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:07 pm

AA Boeing 767-200ER
168 seats with 10F, 30J, and 128Y
(Proportion: 6%F, 18%J, and 76% Y)

If there is no revenue J at all, 4.26 passengers will fight for each J seat upgrade wise.

The New AA Airbus A321
102 seats with 10F, 20J, 36 Y+ and 36Y (72Y)
(Proportion: 10&F, 20%J, and 70%Y)

3.6 Y passengers will in theory fight for each J seat upgrade (presume with zero revenue J again)

Premium seating allocation will increase 6% point, which is sort of against the trend.

In theory, upgrade chances have increased, but of course if the number of sold J seats remain the same, there are actually less seats available for upgrades. However there will be other factors affecting the upgrade opportunities, such as the effect on passengers' buying behaviors after possible increased prices and less availability of Y seats due to the major reduction of Y seats on these A321s, and if elites will continue to be loyal to AA after possibly price increases, the pricing for last minute walkup fares or availability of last minute seats. I still believe that upgrade chances will reduce, as the pool of elites will more or less remain the same especially EXP and Platinums(even if it will turn away some elites, who are more price sensitive), and there are less J seats to fight for. Currently we can't use the sticker upgrades to upgrade most discounted domestic business class fares to first on a three-class transcontinental planes, and I don't see AA changing this rule for domestic flights.

What it will affect is that there won't be the large amount of discounted tickets especially during peak season on the premium transcontinental markets. There is a reduction of 56 seats per flight. The price of economy tickets will continue to increase higher than other domestic flights with this capacity cut.

As pointed out by a fellow FT talker, I apparently don't do math well, and this is perhaps the best I can do. LOL!

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Jul 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No one has mentioned the gridlock in the skies over NYC, and AA's plan to add smaller planes will serve to increase that gridlock as each AA transcon airbus will have 37% fewer seats that the 767-223s.
The problem you point to is one that every airline wants some other airline to solve with a unilateral reduction in flights, and certainly not with a rational market-based solution of a mandatory auction of all slots at peak times by the FAA or Port Authority. It's just one of several pathologies of airline economics.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The math may actually be a lot simpler, just using a back-of-envelope approach.

Scenario 1: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. No additional flights.
Expecting J/F paid revenue to drop proportionally is unrealistic - in fact, IMO it will likely increase (relative to the number of seats offered) due to the improved hard product. So - far fewer upgrades for elites buying Y

Scenario 2: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo. Frequencies increased somehow (!) to provide the approximately same number of total seats
This should (assuming that the new frequencies are all A321Neo) increase the J/Y ratio. So perhaps more upgrade opportunities; even if the number of paid F/J increases somewhat due to the better hard product.

Or somewhere in between - possibly with 77W repositioning, or some middle point in the number of seats offered. In which case the outcome will be somewhere in between.

But I would submit that until AA publishes a schedule so that the number and ratio of seats are known, predicting the likelihood of elite Y-J upgrades is at best a WAG.

My $0.02.

Originally Posted by Carfield
AA Boeing 767-200ER
168 seats with 10F, 30J, and 128Y
(Proportion: 6%F, 18%J, and 76% Y)

If there is no revenue J at all, 4.26 passengers will fight for each J seat upgrade wise.

The New AA Airbus A321
102 seats with 10F, 20J, 36 Y+ and 36Y (72Y)
(Proportion: 10&F, 20%J, and 70%Y)

3.6 Y passengers will in theory fight for each J seat upgrade (presume with zero revenue J again)

Premium seating allocation will increase 6% point, which is sort of against the trend.

In theory, upgrade chances have increased, but of course if the number of sold J seats remain the same, there are actually less seats available for upgrades. However there will be other factors affecting the upgrade opportunities, such as the effect of increased prices and less availability of Y seats due to the major reduction of Y seats on these A321s especially if elites will continue to be loyal to AA or what is the pricing for last minute walkup fares or availability of last minute seats. I actually think the upgrade chances will reduce, as the pool of elites will more or less remain the same (it may turn away some elites, who are more price sensitive).

What it will affect is that there won't be the large amount of discounted tickets especially during peak season on the premium transcontinental markets. There is a reduction of 56 seats per flight. The price of economy tickets will continue to increase higher than other domestic flights with this capacity cut.

As pointed out by a fellow FT talker, I apparently don't do math well, and this is perhaps the best I can do. LOL!

Carfield
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00
IJGordon, Just wanted to stick in here, but I don't think the future A321 Transcon C/J seat pairs are angled for privacy (I've only seen that in the future 777-300ER international business). From the photos, they seem to stick straight out parallel to each other.
they appear to be the same b/e aerospace diamond seats that UA uses on its sCO BF seats.

http://www.beaerospace.com/products/...ness_class.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankyflier/2713215300/

http://chrisjur.wordpress.com/2009/1...nitial-review/

in all honesty i find them to be pretty comfortable, however you're right they are not angled and you either have to climb over/get climbed over to go to the bathroom.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Scenario 1: All AFS transcons go to A321Neo.
Nope, at least not until 2017.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

That's easy. Go look at Flightstats and search for MQ flights at JFK. Many of them are on ERDs/ER4s. There are your slots you can reallocate to transcon flying where you get much better margins.

And if by some chance a partner like Jet Blue were to fly to some of those destinations on Embraers...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's easy. Go look at Flightstats and search for MQ flights at JFK. Many of them are on ERDs/ER4s. There are your slots you can reallocate to transcon flying where you get much better margins.

And if by some chance a partner like Jet Blue were to fly to some of those destinations on Embraers...
Those ERD/ER4 flights are important for feed. Time to buy B6 for the slots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.