Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MAD / Madrid Barajas oneworld and Iberia Lounges (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of old and obsolete posts about the Iberia / oneworld lounges at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport. Please follow the discussion in MAD / Madrid Barajas Int'l. Airport Iberia / oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Thank you,

AA Fora Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: MAD / Madrid Barajas oneworld and Iberia Lounges (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Juanefny
Even if on aa metal and ticket?
Yes.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Even if on aa metal and ticket?

Yes. They just scan the barcode on your AA boarding pass and hand it back to you. No ID check. It has worked for me every time in the past year.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes. They just scan the barcode on your AA boarding pass and hand it back to you. No ID check. It has worked for me every time in the past year.
Woot woot!!^^
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No deberías tener problemas / you shouldn't have any problem. Do visit the very nice wine bar in the Velázquez lounge.

I have not received my elite credentials yet. Will I have any problems accessing the mad lounge, or will my boarding pass showing my elite status suffice?
Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:45 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Was just in the IB lounge a few days ago. As reported by others, my boarding pass and my guest's BP were scanned, and we were welcomed into the lounge. (I had originally offered my BP with my passport as ID; my passport was immediately given back to me without even being opened.)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
"From March 6th we are refurbishing our VIP lounges at Madrid airport to create a more comfortable environment.
I'm not sure what practical impact this will have. Will lounges be closed? Reduced hours? Capacity restrictions? "

I just saw this moderator's note at the beginning of the thread. I was in the VELÁZQUEZ lounge yesterday 3/6 on a flight to DFW. According to an agent at the entry desk, there will not be reduced hours.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by glenny84
"From March 6th we are refurbishing our VIP lounges at Madrid airport to create a more comfortable environment.
I'm not sure what practical impact this will have. Will lounges be closed? Reduced hours? Capacity restrictions? "

I just saw this moderator's note at the beginning of the thread. I was in the VELÁZQUEZ lounge yesterday 3/6 on a flight to DFW. According to an agent at the entry desk, there will not be reduced hours.
FYI - the mod note and the quoted post are for renovations that were done in March of 2010.

I'll go ahead and remove the mod note to prevent further confusion. /Moderator
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
FYI - the mod note and the quoted post are for renovations that were done in March of 2010.

I'll go ahead and remove the mod note to prevent further confusion. /Moderator
Yikes! Must be the jet lag!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by glenny84
Yikes! Must be the jet lag!
Thats some serious jet lag
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 pm

Enjoyed the Velasquez lounge two weeks ago on my return from MAD. Had a bit longer due to a 2 hr delay on MAD-DFW so had plenty of time in the lounge. I was disappointed that there was no wifi acces and that you needed to go plug in at the end of the lounge area. That said, there weren't that many people there so it wasn't terribly crowded space. Drinks were nice. Snacks were OK, at least they were free. I mostly went for some of the wraps and sandwiches in the open cooler as opposed to the food in the warm/buffet area. The buffet food just didn't look all that interesting. I'd rank the overall experience above domest AAdmiral's Clubs but also below other OneWorld lounges that I've been to on INTL trips. I expected a bit more from Iberia lounges in their home airport. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the NRT lounges, which is entirely possible.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Enjoyed the Velasquez lounge two weeks ago on my return from MAD. Had a bit longer due to a 2 hr delay on MAD-DFW so had plenty of time in the lounge. I was disappointed that there was no wifi acces and that you needed to go plug in at the end of the lounge area. That said, there weren't that many people there so it wasn't terribly crowded space. Drinks were nice. Snacks were OK, at least they were free. I mostly went for some of the wraps and sandwiches in the open cooler as opposed to the food in the warm/buffet area. The buffet food just didn't look all that interesting. I'd rank the overall experience above domest AAdmiral's Clubs but also below other OneWorld lounges that I've been to on INTL trips. I expected a bit more from Iberia lounges in their home airport. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the NRT lounges, which is entirely possible.
I have't used my computer there, but I had read about needing to be hard-wired in to use their network. As you mentioned, given that these are their "flagship" lounges at their home airport, you'd think they'd make the investment in wifi.

Buffet food wasn't bad - no worse than the BA hot bar food (at the LHR F lounges), IMO. I do have a soft spot for the curry chicken wraps in the cooler. I guess the lounge at MAD is about what I'd expect for a Business Class lounge. If it was branded as a F lounge, I'd be a little more disappointed with the alcohol selection, but for what it is, it suits me just fine.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Remember that the Velásquez lounge is a Business Class lounge, not First Class. IB no longer offers First Class. I still find the food offerings quite substantial, including hot options, the salad bar, sandwiches, fruit, ice cream, and plenty of beverage choices. In fact, I think the options are on par with the AA Flagship Lounges, if not even a touch above.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:56 pm

Remember that the Velásquez lounge is a Business Class lounge, not First Class. IB no longer offers First Class. I still find the food offerings quite substantial, including hot options, the salad bar, sandwiches, fruit, ice cream, and plenty of beverage choices. In fact, I think the options are on par with the AA Flagship Lounges, if not even a touch above.
Ice cream? I must not have explored the food area well enough if I missed out on ice cream. I'll be back there in September and will definitely do a more thorough dive in to the food options available in MAD.

Seeing that its Biz vs First, I can see how it doesn't stack up to the NRT JAL F lounges. For a Biz class lounge I'd probably rate it about equal to the JFK FL and a bit below the LAX FL, at least in my experience. The LAX FL just always seems to have better food options than JFK, and also better than the IB Velasquez lounge, in my personal opinion.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:29 pm

Ice cream? I must not have explored the food area well enough if I missed out on ice cream. I'll be back there in September and will definitely do a more thorough dive in to the food options available in MAD.
IIRC, there's a small built-in freezer in the counter that's to the right of the sandwiches/wraps. (I believe it's right next to the juices.) When I was there I believe there was dutch chocolate and white chocolate ice cream.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
IIRC, there's a small built-in freezer in the counter that's to the right of the sandwiches/wraps. (I believe it's right next to the juices.) When I was there I believe there was dutch chocolate and white chocolate ice cream.
There definitely was some ice cream in the little freezer. I had the dutch chocolate on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.