Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MAD / Madrid Barajas oneworld and Iberia Lounges (consolidated)

Old May 17, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of old and obsolete posts about the Iberia / oneworld lounges at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport. Please follow the discussion in MAD / Madrid Barajas Int'l. Airport Iberia / oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Thank you,

AA Fora Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: MAD / Madrid Barajas oneworld and Iberia Lounges (consolidated)

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Which lounges/other advice on this MAD itinerary

Greetings. I would appreciate any advice people have on what lounges I should use on the following itinerary. Any other general helpful advice for this trip is also appreciated. I have not flown to MAD before. I'm PLT and Admirals Club member. And before anyone asks why I'm not taking advantage of the DFW-MAD bonus, I couldn't get VIP's to clear on that route.

1295 STL St Louis
09:50 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth
11:40 AM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1536 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth
12:50 PM MIA Miami
04:35 PM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES 68 MIA Miami
06:30 PM MAD Madrid
08:45 AM Business

AMERICAN AIRLINES 69 MAD Madrid
11:10 AM MIA Miami
02:15 PM Business

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1811 MIA Miami
08:10 PM STL St Louis
09:55 PM First
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:17 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

STL: AC
DFW: AC in your departing terminal
MIA: AC E OR D
MAD: The IB Lounge - Quite Nice
MIA: AC E or D
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Looks like AA68 usually departs from the E gates in MIA, so the Admirals Club in E makes sense. There is no arrivals lounge in MAD available so nothing on the inbound for you.

Outbound, you'll want to look for Iberia's "Sala VIP" in Madrid's Terminal 4-S; after the underground tram ride. It is pretty much in the mid-section of the terminal and it's official name is Sala Velsquez. It is a very comfortable lounge with good showers, nice variety of beverages but very light snacks only, like nuts, muffins, chips, etc. If you are a light eater in the AM, you should be fine having breakfast there before you get a full lunch service on AA69.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Does anyone know if the Amex plat card will gain you entrance into the IB lounges if flying on an AA marketed code share flight?

If not, I guess I'm out of luck right?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:29 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I'm doing a mileage run to MAD in December and have two questions about the IB lounges:

1) Is there a First Class lounge separate from the Business Class lounge?

2) Are there showers available?

Greg
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:33 am

Programs: LH Miles & More Senator, American Airlines Executive Platinum (1.7m LT miles), Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GregL
I'm doing a mileage run to MAD in December and have two questions about the IB lounges:

1) Is there a First Class lounge separate from the Business Class lounge?
No, since IB no longer offers an F cabin on their flights.

Originally Posted by GregL
2) Are there showers available?
Yes in T-4 and T-4S. The shower rooms are well equipped, although a little cramped relative to their AA Flagship and BA First/Galleries counterparts. IB does provide nice amenities (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, perfume, face cleanser) in the shower rooms.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I notice someone reactivated this thread. So I will post my question here.

Anyone has entered the IB VIP lounges when traveling on AA to MIA or DFW on Y and without a Platinum Card? I know that as I am traveling on AA, my status will be printed on the BP, but I dont have my card with me. Will this be an issue with IB? as people tell that the BA dragons do not let you in without your AAdvantage elite card. I was able to enter the Finnair lounge in Helsinki airport without a Platinum card and when traveling to Copenhagen on Finnair, but do not know if IB will let me in.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Iberia's page on lounge renovations at MAD and elsewhere can be read in English here. For those of you who can read Castilian / Spanish, Iberia has this page about Madrid - and other - Iberia lounges. (Zacapa and Botrn rums implied as available in GUA, as well? ^)

According to this August 2009 article, "Iberia Upgrades Madrid Airport Lounges"

New Iberia Lounges

Iberia airlines has just made Barajas even more attractive for business travelers by completely renovating its Velzquez (Terminal 4-S) lounge and by redecorating and making improvements to the dining options in its Dal and Goya, lounges, also in the airport’s T4 terminal.

All three lounges will now serve a complimentary all-hours buffet of breakfast, snack and lunch choices that include breakfast rolls, doughnuts, omelettes, a variety of sandwiches and salads, fresh fruit, ice cream and – in the summer – chilled Spanish gazpacho. In addition, the 24/7 Velzquez lounge, for passengers taking intercontinental or long-haul flights, will also offer full-portion main dishes in the new Velzquez Bistro, overlooking the runways.

Velzquez Bistro Menu

The full a la carte menu created for the restaurant by Michelin-starred Spanish chef Sergi Arola, will feature such entrees as sirloin steak with caramelized apple, cod with Spanish ratatouille, sea bass with grilled vegetables and sauted quail. The option to have a full dinner before boarding is especially attractive to passengers departing on all-night flights, who can then spend their flight sleeping."

This will be particularly good news to those connecting at MAD onward on Iberia's redeyes out of Terminal 4-S (satellite.)

Another article says (in part)

"These renovations are one part of the airline’s across-the-board client service improvement initiative, which calls for spending Euro 150 million on a number of improvements, including the VIP lounges in top airports around the world.

The VIP lounges offer a wide array of decoration for example three of the lounges are are decorated using the Chinese aesthetic philosophy of Feng Shui, and offer an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity. Bamboo brings positive energy to the spaces, which also feature mosses and river stones placed asymmetrically and in odd numbers, as well as two waterfalls in the Dal lounge.

In addition to its Madrid VIP lounges, the lounges at Valencia and Bilbao airports have undergone total refurbishment. Iberia has also completed renovations in its lounges in the in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and in Frankfurt, Germany.

Since its recent move to Terminal 3 at Heathrow, Iberia offers its businesses passengers the use of the Galleries Club Lounge, which it shares with its partners in the One World alliance operating in London. Over the next three years it will also renovate its lounges in Mexico City, So Paulo and Buenos Aires."

ARRIVALS (Landside, Terminal 4)

Shower service on arrival in T4

Iberia gives its best customers the chance to use this service free in terminal its Terminal T4.

You can use it, provided you travel in Business Plus and arrive in Madrid on an Iberia intercontinental flight, starting the day before.

The beneficiary customers will be entitled to the shower service. Currently provided by Beauty SPA in the commercial area of Level 2 of Terminal 4 (right after the check-in counters). Once there, and they must show their boarding card or intercontinental flight ticket.

Furthermore, our Iberia Plus Platino, Oro and Club Fiesta customers , regardless of the flight and class, may invite a companion to use the service, provided they have made a flight in Iberia Intercontinental Tourist class to Madrid starting the day before, or are going to fly with Iberia in any class on the same day.
Link

ALTERNATIVE LOUNGES:

Diners Club lounges

American Express Platinum: none

Priority Pass:

Airport: Madrid - Barajas (MAD), Satellite Terminal
Lounge: AMNIOS LOUNGE
Location: Airside - the Lounge is located on the Second Floor (yellow sector). The glass door indicates the entrance to the Lounge.

Opening Hours: 06:00 - 23:00 daily.

Conditions: Non-Schengen flights only - Alcoholic drinks are limited to beer and wine only - Separate smoking room available - Children under 12 years are admitted free.

Additional Information: Shower facilities are subject to payment.

Airport: Madrid - Barajas (MAD), Terminal 4
Lounge: LA REVOLTOSA
Location: Airside - the Lounge is located on the First Floor, adjacent to the AENA Exhibition Room.

Opening Hours: 06:00 - 23:00 daily.

Conditions: Schengen flights only - Alcoholic drinks are limited to beer and wine only - Children under 12 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.

Airport: Madrid - Barajas (MAD), Terminal 4
Lounge: BUSINESS CENTRE
Location: Landside - the Lounge is located next to the Check-in counters (near the Puente Areo).

Opening Hours: 08:00 - 20:00 Monday - Friday. Closed: Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays.

Conditions: Lounge access only - Alcoholic drinks are limited to beer and wine only - Children under 12 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.

Additional Information: Shower, business and conference facilities are all subject to payment.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm Reason: add / edit
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Iberia's page on lounge renovations at MAD and elsewhere can be read in English here. For those of you who can read Castilian / Spanish, Iberia has this page about Madrid - and other - Iberia lounges. (Zacapa and Botrn rums implied as available in GUA, as well? ^)
I'll be in MAD next week and will try to post a report on the current lounge situation
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I'll be in MAD next week and will try to post a report on the current lounge situation
I was in the intercontinental lounge in 4S last week. I'm assuming it has been newly renovated, as it was very nice. Furniture and fixtures showed no wear, the lounge was very spacious with great views of the runway, and the entire lounge was spotless. Enough food for a meal, with two entree selections, salads, etc. Didn't eat, as we would have dinner on our flight, but the gazpacho was very good. Nice wine selection, open bar, cheeses and a few other snack foods. Nicest business class lounge we have ever been in - just a small step below LHR T-5 Galleries First.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Malev Hungarian Airlines

My wife and I flew Malev Business Class a few months ago from MAD to BUD. I don't recall which IB Lounge we used, but we were pleased with the amenities and the service. The only thing I found lacking was the availability of any English language newspaper.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
AA-Platinum-MAD Lounges

What lounge would you recommend for an AA Plat while at MAD?

I am flying in coach but it is the flight where I earn my first EXP.

Thanks,
Rod
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Rodraid
What lounge would you recommend for an AA Plat while at MAD?

I am flying in coach but it is the flight where I earn my first EXP.

Thanks,
Rod
The one closest to your gate. IB only has business class lounges, but they're actually pretty nice.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
IB has three lounges at MAD. The lounge in T-4 is for domestic and Schengen-destination passengers on flights that operate from T-4. In T-4S the Goya lounge is on the ground floor, and is intended for Schengen and domestic flights operating from T-4S. The Velasquez lounge is on the first floor (the one above the ground floor) and is intended for international passengers.

The only one of these that I have been in is the Velasquez lounge. It is an exceptionally nice business class lounge, perhaps because there is no first class lounge. There is a lounge refurbishment project in progress at MAD, so it is probably best to ask at check-in which lounge you should use.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The Velsquez lounge is indeed fantastic! It really feels more like a First Class lounge, and the food offerings have expanded dramatically in the last couple of years. In 2008, there seemed to be only some snacks, cookies, etc., but when I was there a few weeks ago, there was a whole buffet with hot offerings, a salad bar with toppings, ICE CREAM in multiple flavors, and other goodies!

Definitely worth a visit! Great showers and "relaxation suites" too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.