Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_res

SFO-LAX schedule on US (mesa). Starts on Sept 3.

US2692 SFO LAX 0800 0930
US2721 SFO LAX 1045 1220
US2789 SFO LAX 1600 1725

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/6079305/1/ (scroll down to post #35)

Gee, seems not long ago that US was very significant; shame they let the PS smile fade. Oh, and AA; the same thing with OC. HP tried it too; couldn't make it work either.
When it did happen? Did they tried it before? They tried JFK-LAX/SFO, as well. It didn't work out well. Way too much competitive against UA, AA, DL.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FWAAA
As nova08 pointed out, none of those cities is very likely as a nonstop from ORD (or any other AA gateway). SIN, KUL and BKK aren't even viable as nonstops by their nation's flag carriers. If you're thinking that AA metal will fly to those cities one-stop via NRT, I give that a zero probability as well. AA has a capable immunized joint venture partner in JAL, and connections to those far-flung destinations beyond TYO are well within JAL's expertise.

And if anybody is going to fly nonstop to those cities beyond TYO, it will be DL from the closest hub, Seattle. SIN, KUL and BKK are just too costly at the current price of fuel (because you have to burn so much fuel just to carry the fuel for such a long nonstop flight). That circular calculation makes ultra-long flights uneconomical.

A few more cities in China? Perhaps, but the first order of business should be to take away more China passengers from UA, including NYC. JFK to PVG and PEK would help do that.

Another possibility is ICN from LAX, maybe ORD and perhaps JFK.
It's going to be tough to compete with Delta's Seattle hub on anything but the northern Asia markets.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by plon
From what I have seen of the CLT masterplan, and echoing Brett Cagle's comments, this would likely be the first step:
This is what they're talking about now except it'll be a domestic terminal instead of international. Someone mentioned that CLT would be smart to add room for ICE facilities on at least part of this addition and I agree. That allows utilization of D for domestic as well as any future international flight addition.

As you can see, this would basically fill the available space between A and the tank farm/railroad.

The next steps would be to expand B (and eventually C) like this:
As you can see you lose some existing gates to gain more gates. The same isn't possible for C due to space constraints - taxi room needs to be considered which means enough width for the wingtip to wingtip distance, not just the width of the taxi path.

If I'm picturing what you mean by "toaster rack model" there isn't room for more gates in B/C than the above extension of B.

Jim
Old May 28, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
According to folks on a.net, AA is getting four additional gates at LAX - starting late this summer. Gates 60-63 all in T6. Good luck with those connections!
Old May 28, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
According to folks on a.net, AA is getting four additional gates at LAX - starting late this summer. Gates 60-63 all in T6. Good luck with those connections!
It's not just a rumour on that teenager-centric website; been discussed in other threads here for several days now.

Connections? Given that LAX features fewer connections than any other AA hub (as a percentage of passengers), the few connecting passengers will be fine. The tunnel between T-4 and T-5 will reopen when AA occupies those gates, enabling a simple airside walk between T-4 and T-6. Piece of cake.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:10 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
It's not just a rumour on that teenager-centric website; been discussed in other threads here for several days now.

Connections? Given that LAX features fewer connections than any other AA hub (as a percentage of passengers), the few connecting passengers will be fine. The tunnel between T-4 and T-5 will reopen when AA occupies those gates, enabling a simple airside walk between T-4 and T-6. Piece of cake.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...irlines-at-lax
Old May 29, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post22938452
Old May 29, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's where I originally posted this news (at the time a rumour).

Subsequently, other posts on the same topic were moved there.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:13 pm

AA using T6 at LAX makes sense with the AS codesharing/partnership. I wonder what flights AA will use those gates for, though. For domestic connections, I have no idea what goes on at LAX - I was under the impression that there wasn't a lot of domestic connecting traffic there to begin with. Any chance they run some intl flights out of T6 - potentially whatever intl routes AS is currently feeding?
Old May 29, 2014, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
AA using T6 at LAX makes sense with the AS codesharing/partnership. I wonder what flights AA will use those gates for, though. For domestic connections, I have no idea what goes on at LAX - I was under the impression that there wasn't a lot of domestic connecting traffic there to begin with. Any chance they run some intl flights out of T6 - potentially whatever intl routes AS is currently feeding?
Back in the CO days, for a while they used Terminal A at EWR for flights that were primarily O/D: BOS, DCA, ATL, DFW and I think one other one I can't remember. Maybe AA will use T6 for flights that few people connect to.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The US Airways June 2014 inflight magazine (very large) will cover all of the hubs and a variety of stats including number of destinations, flights, countries, etc. Clearly from this infographic, LAX looks small compared to many of the other hubs.

However, there does not appear to be a shortage of demand with AA adding the aforementioned new gates (along with TBIT gates to come too sometime later).

Rasheed
Old May 30, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One might have criticized it for being geezer-centric or ground-worker-centric but a.net does have its issues - as does FlyerTalk. There's a clear diverisity of experiences and understanding.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
LAX has minimal AA domestic connection but a fair amount of OneWorld international to domestic connections.

This is just my guess but I think T6 will be primarily used for flights that are nearly 100% LA O&D with very little connecting traffic - e.g. LAX-PHX, LAX-LAS
Old May 30, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bzcat
LAX has minimal AA domestic connection but a fair amount of OneWorld international to domestic connections.

This is just my guess but I think T6 will be primarily used for flights that are nearly 100% LA O&D with very little connecting traffic - e.g. LAX-PHX, LAX-LAS
LAX-LAS? Most of those flights are connecting international traffic.

I think LAX-DFW might be a candidate if they decide to put O/D traffic in T6.

Last edited by aamilesslave; May 30, 2014 at 5:17 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Um, there's a decent amount of connecting traffic to LAS and PHX from OW partners, given that QF/JL don't fly nonstop to either of those cities.

Anyways, I suspect the answer's easy- AA will want to consolidate their operations and not run busses, so the US gates at T3 will be handed back to LAWA, the T4-T5 connector tunnel will open and US will come over to the other side, and AA will probably prioritize flights that don't get a lot of connecting traffic...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.