Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fanjet
At the very minimum, you will get AS as a full elite qualifying partner.
That will be nice in a way, but I think all the planes are barbie jets between GEG and anywhere else. Upgrades are the most important thing for me. I will have to see what benefits there are to me flying AS.

DFW would be nice to be able to get to direct as an alternate to PHX.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I think BOS could end up as a smaller version of DCA - a focus/origin city with flights to about 20 locations: for example, 8 hubs, DCA, LHR, 5 ERJ routes (YUL, SYR, BTV, PIT, BUF), 5 CR7 routes (STL, RDU, BNA, IND, YYZ) ).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd certainly be happy to see BOS-RDU come back but with B6 flying it that might make it kind of redundant.

Oh and to JenniferNAz, DFW-GEG wouldn't surprise me, especially on an A-319.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I don't see Jet Blue going back to Atlanta. They tried that in '03 and left the market after 7 or 8 months. Airtran/SouthWest is in ATL to compete with Delta.
Yes, they did. They pulling out of ATL completely. Too much competitive against DL & FL. This route is no longer served. It just only 6 months. That's why they couldn't complete against DL.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Does anyone think that JFK-PHX flights will get bumped up to the 738 service with the upgraded soft product like on JFK-SAN/SEA or BOS-LAX? On the one hand its now a hub-to-hub service (for the next 2-3 years at least) and DL still singles out JFK-PHX as one of the routes where premium passengers are entitled to SkyClub access. On the other hand, AA doesn't do it for JFK-LAS, which presumably gets more premium passengers and is a longer flight.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by chasgoose
Does anyone think that JFK-PHX flights will get bumped up to the 738 service with the upgraded soft product like on JFK-SAN/SEA or BOS-LAX? On the one hand its now a hub-to-hub service (for the next 2-3 years at least) and DL still singles out JFK-PHX as one of the routes where premium passengers are entitled to SkyClub access. On the other hand, AA doesn't do it for JFK-LAS, which presumably gets more premium passengers and is a longer flight.
Actually, that was very short time PHX-JFK back in 2003 or 2004, but I don't remember. They couldn't complete against DL & HP. That's why Jetblue has already went to PHX back in October 2004.

Last edited by N830MH; Jan 6, 2014 at 12:48 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, that was very short time PHX-JFK back in 2003 or 2004, but I don't remember. They couldn't complete against DL & HP. That's why Jetblue has already went to PHX back in October 2004.
Right, my question is more about what's going to happen to the existing US JFK-PHX flights once US has merged into AA.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Fanjet
My guess would be because of the holiday traffic. AA probably pulled the 738s normally used on that route to upgauge another route for that week. The 762s were probably sitting around JFK between runs to the west coast. So they ran them up to BOS and back. I seriously doubt that it was to test the waters. Since the station at BOS already knows how to handle a 762, as well as a 763.
I think you're right about the 763, though it is interesting to note that US is rotating a daily A330 onto BOS-CLT for the first time in my memory -- starting in March and running through June.

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I think BOS could end up as a smaller version of DCA - a focus/origin city with flights to about 20 locations: for example, 8 hubs, DCA, LHR, 5 ERJ routes (YUL, SYR, BTV, PIT, BUF), 5 CR7 routes (STL, RDU, BNA, IND, YYZ) ).
BOS is almost halfway there already -- we have BUF, MDT, PIT, RIC, and ROC, as well as semi-infrequent flights to CUN, MBJ, PLS, and PUJ.

It might be interesting to see if any NE flying ex-DCA migrates to BOS as the slot restrictions hit -- given the connectivity via the Shuttle, it'd be a very easy connection for anyone coming from DCA or LGA. A route like BTV might make a lot of sense in that context.

Didn't AA serve BOS-YUL before cutting Eagle back in BOS? Given the loss of AC as a partner, it might well make sense to pick it up again.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
What would be the economics of using the 5 newest AA 767-223 to replace 5 of the maxed out US Air 767-200s to Europe? If one assumes that AA will send their 767-223s to the desert when they have about 105,000 hours on them, then these newest 767-223s still have up to 2 years still left in them, whereas many of the US Air 767-200s will soon have about 105,000 TT hours on their airframes.
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I don't know the age of the AA 762s but the oldest of US' date back early 1987 - 27 years old in a few months. All 10 are at least 20 years old and over half are at least 23 years old. I would expect AA to take the age of the US planes into account when deciding on the retirement schedule.

Jim
But any kind of cross fleeting won't happen until there is a SOC, no? And aren't there some incoming A332s this year to the PMUS fleet?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But any kind of cross fleeting won't happen until there is a SOC, no? And aren't there some incoming A332s this year to the PMUS fleet?
Cross-fleeting, no, but presumably once codeshares are in place they could change the operating carrier for a flight. Or potentially even transfer the plane.

The last few (4? Can't find the number quickly) 332s are being delivered this year, yes.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dtremit
Cross-fleeting, no, but presumably once codeshares are in place they could change the operating carrier for a flight. Or potentially even transfer the plane.

The last few (4? Can't find the number quickly) 332s are being delivered this year, yes.
Except for AA 762s replacing US 762s, that means operating AA crews and planes out of US hubs, not AA ones. Probably not ideal right off the bat in summer '14- you now have to stock replacement parts in a US hub, there is a potential problem with staffing when you need replacement crew, and so on.

I still think the AA762s will end up as beer cans pretty quickly, as opposed to flown to Europe/South America as US 762 replacements with AA crews. I don't think you will see much cross fleeting until there is a SOC. My guess is that once that happens the fleets will start getting shuffled around. I could see a PMUS 332 doing some routes out of LAX, for instance- instead of flying PMAA 772s during low season to PVG/NRT, fly a PMUS A332. NewAA will have better ability to match capacity with route network and seasonality going forward...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: None
But any kind of cross fleeting won't happen until there is a SOC, no?
Not necessarily. As long as the same planes (i.e.: 762s) are on both current ops certs pilots from either group could fly them. Crews couldn't be mixed - or it would be troublesome - without joint contracts but cross-crewing would be entirely legal from an FAA standpoint.

Contractually, there is a limitation on block hours to keep management from transferring time wholesale one way or the other though.

Jim
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:45 pm

Except for AA 762s replacing US 762s, that means operating AA crews and planes out of US hubs, not AA ones. Probably not ideal right off the bat in summer '14- you now have to stock replacement parts in a US hub, there is a potential problem with staffing when you need replacement crew, and so on.

I still think the AA762s will end up as beer cans pretty quickly, as opposed to flown to Europe/South America as US 762 replacements with AA crews.
I don't think either carrier's 762s are long for this world -- either way they're gone within the next 18 months, I'd figure. But it might be worthwhile for them to retire the decrepit US ones on the AA schedule and the AA ones on the US schedule.

I'm guessing the proximity of PHL and JFK -- and the fact that they've got plenty of spare planes -- would solve a lot of the issues you mention above, in the short term. You might see them disappear faster from CLT if that happened.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
So, you are suggesting continued maintenance, C/D checks AND an expensive refurb on a plane that's 30+ years old and has lousy economics compared to a modern narrowbody. And they wouldn't even sell the new plane as F/Y, just Y+/Y. But hey, they will TOTALLY make the money back on sandwiches! Everyone loves sandwiches!

LOL. How about "no, we will do our fleet transition to a modern fleet as planned". A 321 is going to save a lot a fuel over a 762, and AA isn't a Subway franchise.
What the quoted poster is describing is essentially a scaled up version of what B6 is starting to offer. No way AA would be able to compete with those economics. Now, outfit a bunch of 738s with all 45in pitch seats, no free food/booze/headphones and sell those for $900 each r/t and you may have something. Start with HPN-LAX/SFO and you may have an interesting experiment going. It would be almost like a lite version of BA's CWLCY. Too much chance to cannibalize revenue, though, if you ask me, and something I'm sure has been considered and shot down for a very good reason.

Originally Posted by chasgoose
The problem with that argument is that VX provides premium competition charging less (or at least no more) for much better F seats.
VX doesn't underprice anyone in F. They had some specials when they first rolled out, but they're never the low cost offering in the premium class market. For that, look to the new B6 product; now that looks compelling!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
VX doesn't underprice anyone in F. They had some specials when they first rolled out, but they're never the low cost offering in the premium class market. For that, look to the new B6 product; now that looks compelling!
VX doesn't really have F, they have J. But on BOS-SFO they generally sell J for a little less than UA prices their 38" "F" seats. It's a really uncompetitive route where UA has >90% of the premium seats and can set ridiculous prices (which they then undercut by selling last minute space available cash upgrades).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.