Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by buy_sell1
I have some AA miles, and I am trying to check availability for DFW-AUH-AMD OR DFW-DOH-AMD for FEB first week in Economy Class for any oneWorld affiliated carrier (including Etihad and Qatar). I tried booking via AA using award miles, but aa.com refused to book to AMD becuase they don't serve that destination.

What should I do? Can I still book with Etihad or Qatar using the AA call line or is this not totally possible due to website refusal to book award ticket? What have been others' experiences? I mean since Qatar is part of OneWorld and Etihad has informal relationship with AA, I would think there would be something allowed to book flights to India.

I am total newbie to this forum, so please forgive me if this is not right place or question.
Etihad and Qatar awards cannot be found by searching on aa.com. I use Etihad's own site for EY awards and I think you can use BA to check for QR availability.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:40 pm

Thank you SFOPhd for quick reply

I was able to check EY website for available days to book reward ticket. But no luck with BA. It asks me to login to find out reward flights available so can't check QR availability via BA. Is there any other way to find out QR availability?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jaenks
There is a availability in February(probably in other months too) on both directions. I booked LHR-AUH and now just waiting when they release AUH-LHR on my dates to change the current flight.
My suspicion is that a380 from LHR is bookable, but not from SYD, while there is still a 77 going there. The guest availability is just the 77. But later in the year it is only a380 to LHR
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by buy_sell1
Thank you SFOPhd for quick reply

I was able to check EY website for available days to book reward ticket. But no luck with BA. It asks me to login to find out reward flights available so can't check QR availability via BA. Is there any other way to find out QR availability?
Just create a logon for British Airways. Sign up, it is easy and free
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Jaenks
There is a availability in February(probably in other months too) on both directions. I booked LHR-AUH and now just waiting when they release AUH-LHR on my dates to change the current flight.
Yep: I looked at the end of schedule (Nov 2015) and there's two first class award seats available on every day in that last week in both directions (LHR-AUH-LHR) so I'm guessing they automatically release two seats.

Very little available at shorter notice, presumably it's been snagged already.

BTW: I assume if you book an AA award the 1 year to travel validity is from the date of ticketing not the date of the first flight? Will want another LHR-AUH return in Feb/March 2016 and want to lock in an award at current burn rates as soon as possible (e.g. early April 2015) in case the miles tables change when AA/US merge.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by zoombee
Yep: I looked at the end of schedule (Nov 2015) and there's two first class award seats available on every day in that last week in both directions (LHR-AUH-LHR) so I'm guessing they automatically release two seats.

Very little available at shorter notice, presumably it's been snagged already.

BTW: I assume if you book an AA award the 1 year to travel validity is from the date of ticketing not the date of the first flight? Will want another LHR-AUH return in Feb/March 2016 and want to lock in an award at current burn rates as soon as possible (e.g. early April 2015) in case the miles tables change when AA/US merge.
Is there something I'm missing?

I'm looking at the EY website for award availability for AUH-LHR and can't see any GuestSeats (i.e. those that can be booked by AA) in F. I see some in other months - but it's a shame I can't fit them into any of my travel plans.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
DUB-AUH-MLE
MLE-AUH
AUH-DUB

for 2 in biz. 170K AA miles plus £91 in taxes
My expectation was that each leg would be 30K per person, hence 180K in total. I'm not sure how the CSR got a 170K total.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by tangey
DUB-AUH-MLE
MLE-AUH
AUH-DUB

My expectation was that each leg would be 30K per person, hence 180K in total. I'm not sure how the CSR got a 170K total.
MLE-AUH is 25k each in business because it's "Indian Subcontinent Middle East" to "Indian Subcontinent Middle East"?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
MLE-AUH is 25k each in business because it's "Indian Subcontinent Middle East" to "Indian Subcontinent Middle East"?
Thanks for that, I clearly overlooked that entry in the award chart.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I didn't see any availability for "guest" on Etihad's website for the a380 first-class, so I presume it currently isn't bookable using AA miles? Anybody know of anyone who had success?
Yes, I booked an Apartment on their A380 AUH-LHR next month. Will be in London for a night then taking Virgin's Dreamliner in First LHR-EWR.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I didn't see any availability for "guest" on Etihad's website for the a380 first-class, so I presume it currently isn't bookable using AA miles? Anybody know of anyone who had success?
There are some guest 1st seats available end of Sept AUH-LHR on A380.
1 each on the 27th and 29th Sept, 2 on the 30th Sept.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by tangey
DUB-AUH-MLE
MLE-AUH
AUH-DUB

Nice redemption tangey. I exchanged Amex points over to AA during the last bonus and am now looking to book before the forcasted hike in award points. Does the £91 include the AA telephone booking.

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NOTE: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be read here; the new thread may be read and posted to here: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 13, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.