Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Originally Posted by gkl
looks like a very, very tight connection. Please have a look at the very bad on-time arrival statistic of EY1. 30 minutes delay are more or less the norm.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ey1/

any chance to change to the nonstop AUH-JFK or consider a later LH/UA-flight out of FRA?
No chance to change my routing, my FRA - JFK is a work booking. but I can take a look at other Etihad options

Thanks for the link
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Does AA charge the same taxes and fees as indicated on the RY site for an EY redemption ?

Looking at DUB->MLE for next Sept, I am seeing total taxes and fees of €152, €139 of which is described as a fuel surcharge.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tangey
Does AA charge the same taxes and fees as indicated on the RY site for an EY redemption? Looking at DUB->MLE for next Sept, I am seeing total taxes and fees of €152, €139 of which is described as a fuel surcharge.
Taxes yes. Fuel surcharges no.
Our upcoming IAD-AUH-KTM EY First redemption was $46.00 PP for the roundtrip with no surcharges.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Taxes yes. Fuel surcharges no.
Our upcoming IAD-AUH-KTM EY First redemption was $46.00 PP for the roundtrip with no surcharges.
Thanks for the response.

You route however doesn't have a fuel surcharge on an EY redemption, and shows $29 in full for fees. Checking out my intended route in more detail shows that it is the DUB->AUH sector that has an indicated fuel surcharge of €139. Flying out of LHR or MAN shows a fuel surcharge of £5.

So the question is, if the EY site indicates a fuel surcharge, does AA always charge it ?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tangey
So the question is, if the EY site indicates a fuel surcharge, does AA always charge it ?
No, AA does not (yet) charge fuel surcharges, even though EY does to its own members.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
No, AA does not (yet) charge fuel surcharges, even though EY does to its own members.
Thanks for coming back.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Lots of availability

I'm flying home from South Africa near spring and found lots of availability JNB-AUF-SFO.

AA does treat this as separate awards though. I paid 135K for J to AUH and F to SFO. This is still less miles that it would have cost me if I had used my Etihad Guest Miles.

The taxes were only $69 compared to the $775 in taxes I'm paying for the EK one way.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: spg gold
A few pages back someone said the JFK/AUH EY 100 is Etihad and flight 102 is Jet airways.Can someone confirm this?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by olafman
I'm flying home from South Africa near spring and found lots of availability JNB-AUF-SFO.

AA does treat this as separate awards though. I paid 135K for J to AUH and F to SFO. This is still less miles that it would have cost me if I had used my Etihad Guest Miles.

The taxes were only $69 compared to the $775 in taxes I'm paying for the EK one way.
You might want to change that; the SFO is by Jet. Try a connection in JFK and get AA's 31B from there.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:26 pm

at last minute scored a first class seat from IAD-AUH and onward to DOH in business on EY using 90K American miles.. Taxes were 7 USD!! ...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: US, AA, UA, LH, VX
If I want to book a flight BEY-AUH-IAD in F but only J is available for the BEY-AUH leg will it price out in two separate awards?
Also I can stop in AUH for under 24 hours correct?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by BrandonDuh
If I want to book a flight BEY-AUH-IAD in F but only J is available for the BEY-AUH leg will it price out in two separate awards?
Also I can stop in AUH for under 24 hours correct?
I think you'll find that in your situation you can get the above on one award but it will price at the F level for the whole trip. And yes, you can stopover in AUH for less than 24 hours.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Is BKK-AUH-LHR not a valid routing? I have been quoted this as 60k rather than 52.5k?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Is BKK-AUH-LHR not a valid routing? I have been quoted this as 60k rather than 52.5k?
Because it involves transiting via a third region which is only permitted on a handful of routings (check Aadvantage forum sticky).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Because it involves transiting via a third region which is only permitted on a handful of routings (check Aadvantage forum sticky).
Oh well. I guess 8k extra is not bad considering it will allow a stop over. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.