Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
Anymore accounts of the $160 charge for AA Etihad redemptions that was mentioned upthread ?
I wasn't charged it and I booked about three weeks ago - AUH-SEZ-AMM
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat blah blah
Anyone familiar with the "in transit" chauffer rules? Flying in J JFK-AUH-MLE and return and website says not eligible for chaueffer/car service. T&C's state passengers transiting are not eligible. How do i get around that?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by paramenace
Anyone familiar with the "in transit" chauffer rules? Flying in J JFK-AUH-MLE and return and website says not eligible for chaueffer/car service. T&C's state passengers transiting are not eligible. How do i get around that?
In my experience you can't
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
In my experience you can't
I actually have a ticket from DFW-AUH and a separate booking from AUH-MNL, which were both booked using AA miles. I needed to book separate tickets because I didn't have enough miles to book both, but my partner had enough to book the AUH-MNL leg.

I arrive in AUH at 7:50PM, and my flight out of AUH to MNL flies out at 2:20am, giving me an almost 7 hour layover. It allows me to book chauffeur service for both tickets and I was wanting to be able to grab dinner for the night in AUH to get there and back. Would it be possible to book chauffeur service this way? I did want to try and have my baggage checked all the way through to MNL however.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jglenn16
I actually have a ticket from DFW-AUH and a separate booking from AUH-MNL, which were both booked using AA miles. I needed to book separate tickets because I didn't have enough miles to book both, but my partner had enough to book the AUH-MNL leg.

I arrive in AUH at 7:50PM, and my flight out of AUH to MNL flies out at 2:20am, giving me an almost 7 hour layover. It allows me to book chauffeur service for both tickets and I was wanting to be able to grab dinner for the night in AUH to get there and back. Would it be possible to book chauffeur service this way? I did want to try and have my baggage checked all the way through to MNL however.
Yes if they are separate tickets that should be fine. They will only see that you have arrived in AUH with no (apparent) onward connection
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: ALL
Looking for help. I booked a one-way KHI-AUH-LAX-SAN in J and taxes came out to $166.30 plus the $35 booking fee. I initially had a round-trip in coach that priced out much less. Does this seem right?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azhoopsfan
Looking for help. I booked a one-way KHI-AUH-LAX-SAN in J and taxes came out to $166.30 plus the $35 booking fee. I initially had a round-trip in coach that priced out much less. Does this seem right?
Yes, does seem right for that routing. Here are the taxes on the same routing on a revenue Biz ticket. The difference you saw is probably because the "Pakistan Federal Excise Duty" for Biz/First is double what it is for Economy.

US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
Pakistani Infrastructure Development Charge (YD) $10.20
Pakistani Security Charge (XZ) $6.10
Pakistani Embarkation Fee (SP) $20.20
Pakistani Federal Excise Duty (RG) $101.10
United Arab Emirates International Advanced Passenger Information (API) Fee (ZR) $1.40
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Yes, does seem right for that routing. Here are the taxes on the same routing on a revenue Biz ticket. The difference you saw is probably because the "Pakistan Federal Excise Duty" for Biz/First is double what it is for Economy.

US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
Pakistani Infrastructure Development Charge (YD) $10.20
Pakistani Security Charge (XZ) $6.10
Pakistani Embarkation Fee (SP) $20.20
Pakistani Federal Excise Duty (RG) $101.10
United Arab Emirates International Advanced Passenger Information (API) Fee (ZR) $1.40
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
Thank you very much! I feel better knowing it wasn't caused by a glitch.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:07 am

Just booked EY JFK-AUH-MLE for 2 pax in J without any problems. I may have just gotten lucky with the agent on the other line, but everything went pretty smoothly.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ap1731
Just booked EY JFK-AUH-MLE for 2 pax in J without any problems. I may have just gotten lucky with the agent on the other line, but everything went pretty smoothly.
How many miles did that cost you each way?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by aglp2k
How many miles did that cost you each way?
67.5k/pax for 135k total
I only booked one way since we're going on CX to get back to JFK
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat blah blah
Just flew JFK-AUH-MLE (23hr layover in AUH). 135k in biz. EY-operated Jet Airway not nearly as nice as the true EY flight--equipment wasn't the greatest... though it safely got us from point A to point B with good service and pretty good food (this is the JFK-AUH flight--avoid when booking if you can).
The way AA books these, etihad sees them as transit tix and therefore not eligible for chauffer.... however, if you come to the transit desk they will usually grant you a chauffer regardless (one time exception)
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by paramenace
Just flew JFK-AUH-MLE (23hr layover in AUH). 135k in biz. EY-operated Jet Airway not nearly as nice as the true EY flight--equipment wasn't the greatest... though it safely got us from point A to point B with good service and pretty good food (this is the JFK-AUH flight--avoid when booking if you can).
The way AA books these, etihad sees them as transit tix and therefore not eligible for chauffer.... however, if you come to the transit desk they will usually grant you a chauffer regardless (one time exception)
There are two flights JFK-AUH. According to EY's website, it says EY100 is EY metal and EY102 is EY on Jet Airways.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've been successful in booking KWI-xAUH-PEK for 45k AA miles and USD9 in taxes.

The KWI-AUH flight is not the one I'd prefer, however. AA says the flight I want isn't available but when I put KWI-AUH into EY's award booking tool, I can get the flights I want. They are available in Guest Business, Business Saver, Business Value and Business Freedom.

Which one of these fare types corresponds to what I need on AA?

Is it worth calling AA again and asking them to have another look? When the agent told me the flight I wanted wasn't available I assumed it was because it created a ~10 hour layover which EY wouldn't be happy with but the EY website seems to suggest it's fine.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by danger
I've been successful in booking KWI-xAUH-PEK for 45k AA miles and USD9 in taxes.

The KWI-AUH flight is not the one I'd prefer, however. AA says the flight I want isn't available but when I put KWI-AUH into EY's award booking tool, I can get the flights I want. They are available in Guest Business, Business Saver, Business Value and Business Freedom.

Which one of these fare types corresponds to what I need on AA?

Is it worth calling AA again and asking them to have another look? When the agent told me the flight I wanted wasn't available I assumed it was because it created a ~10 hour layover which EY wouldn't be happy with but the EY website seems to suggest it's fine.
10 hours is fine (the rule is less than 24 with AA).
Guest Business is what you should look for.

PM Sent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.