Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run for Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Red face Mileage Run for Voucher

Has anyone ever bought a ticket just to get bumped? I really really want to do this! If anyone has can you please fill me in on details of how you were successful? I'll be flying on American (Eagle) to Chicago. I would like to do it soon so please let me know about your experiences!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum. There, you will find a FAQ with information and threads, some about your topic; you can also use Search (see the Welcome message at the to of the thread selection box for a link to assistance on using Search if you need some help).

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled STOP! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place. It's a very large BBS, so it can make a difference.

~Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:16 pm

Easy - first flight out on a Monday morning. Using heavily oversold for business flyers.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Have you ever booked a flight just to get bumped?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by skyvlog
Have you ever booked a flight just to get bumped?
What's your goal with this? Unless you get a refundable ticket, you're flying anyway (or throwing away the ticket, so now your voucher is only worth face value minus the cost of the ticket).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Reminds me of this thread on the Southwest forum:
WN bump/voucher run ends in blacklisting

Maybe you can pick up some pointers there.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What's your goal with this? Unless you get a refundable ticket, you're flying anyway (or throwing away the ticket, so now your voucher is only worth face value minus the cost of the ticket).
I would get the voucher, ask to be put on the next flight and then do the same thing on the way back
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Reminds me of this thread on the Southwest forum:
WN bump/voucher run ends in blacklisting

Maybe you can pick up some pointers there.
WOW! Thanks for the link! That's a little extreme for what I'm wanting to do but the initial idea is the same. I can't believe he racked up $3,500 worth in airline credit!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I would get the voucher, ask to be put on the next flight and then do the same thing on the way back
I think you're going to be very surprised at how difficult it is to time something like this. And even more surprised when, if the only reason you're booking a flight is to be bumped, you find yourself actually flying your original itinerary. Good luck tho!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:56 pm

So you're putting in money (buying a ticket) with the hope of getting more money out (getting more in vouchers than you paid for the ticket). Definitely doable, but no guarantees.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
So you're putting in money (buying a ticket) with the hope of getting more money out (getting more in vouchers than you paid for the ticket). Definitely doable, but no guarantees.
It would be the only way for me to travel a lot (if it worked with a lot of luck) while keeping costs down!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It would be the only way for me to travel a lot (if it worked with a lot of luck) while keeping costs down!
I fear that things will not work out for you as well as you are fantasizing.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Do you have any advice?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Do you have any advice?
Yes. If you are hoping to get a ton (as in hundreds of thousands of miles) of free travel with bump vouchers, give it up. It ain't gonna happen. Quite often you won't get bumped and just be out the money.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Do you have any advice?
I do-- find another scheme/hobby -- this one definitely won't work.

And, if no one else mentioned it, look here: http://www.bumptracker.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.