Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run for Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I'm over 70, so I guess ethics and morality have changed since I was young.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:44 pm

Airlines are much better at predicting flight loads than they used to be.

In my past 200 flights, I've volunteered every time they mentioned the option of getting bumped--maybe 10 times in total. In every case, they had someone not show up, and the flight went out without having to get bumped.

I actually had two flights today in this mess from the FAA issue where they were asking for volunteers. In both cases, people failed to show up, and I ended up on the flight instead of getting the voucher.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Bumps are not as easy and common as they used to be. If your whole idea of doing the MR is to score a voucher, keep in mind that you may not get bump, the voucher may not be that much in value, you will end up flying the original itinerary.

DL actually ask you upfront when checking in what will you take to volunteer for a flight, sort of like bidding for it. Odds are that the lowest bidder will get priority. UA will ask first, but does not give you a value. AA will start asking for volunteers and usually offer $200 in case of domestic flights, if no takers, then $300, and so on. You voucher value will be determined by the last offer to get all the needed volunteers, even though you may have accepted a lower one.

Typically your chances are greater during holidays, or between popular destinations that may have some sort of event: ie Super Bowl, spring break, convention, etc. You need to have flexibility with your schedule, as you can get the bump, but your next flight may not be same day, and that might interfere with your return flight. This may work against you as GA typically try not to accept volunteers that will require to re-do their entire itinerary.

If this is your only intention for the MR, save the $ and do not fly, the odds are more in favor to the airline. I was offered a bump on a SJU-MIA flight about 6 months ago, and it was only for $200, it was not worth it to me. Prior to that, on a ORD-DFW flight, they asked for volunteers, but ended up not needing them as there where 2 no show. In the past 3 years of flying, I've only seen volunteers needed on 3 occasions.

Last edited by arollins; Sep 28, 2014 at 8:45 pm
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I have a friend who used to do this. He'd book Friday night or Saturday morning flights out (ex-BOS) to vacation destinations (Caribbean, Mexico, skiing in Utah) for the last day of school before February and April vacations. He got fairly good compensation about half the time, making it well worthwhile for him.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
guys

Not to encourage, but what if he purchased fully refundable travel- never intending to actually fly. If he gets bumped, take the bump and then cancel the ticket on the later flight. If he doesnt get bumped, also cancel. And book another fully refundable ticket on a flight leaving soon, maybe that gets oversold ....

OP doesnt seem to have the savvy to pull this off, and the odds of him getting hosed seems high.

Frankly Id rather sell drugs or pimp than make money this way....

Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
guys

Not to encourage, but what if he purchased fully refundable travel- never intending to actually fly. If he gets bumped, take the bump and then cancel the ticket on the later flight. If he doesnt get bumped, also cancel. And book another fully refundable ticket on a flight leaving soon, maybe that gets oversold ....

OP doesnt seem to have the savvy to pull this off, and the odds of him getting hosed seems high.

It might work, however, I wouldn't risk it. What if you get caught, the penalties will far outweigh the rewards. There have been some reports of people getting caught cancelling full fare tickets just to take advantage of lounge access. I think it was China Airlines, story here; http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...eals-for-year/ , and also Lufthansa http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-lounge-access
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by relangford
I'm over 70, so I guess ethics and morality have changed since I was young.
That means you would've been young in the 1950s-70s. Yep, nothing ethically or morally questionable happening then
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
guys

Someone did just that on UA some time ago (I think the thread was at least a year ago, probably more). They saw a flight was oversold, booked a refundable ticket, got bumped, canceled ticket. Then they had a conscience attack, and ultimately turned the voucher back into UA.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I think you have to live through a bump gone bad before you can appreciate it. In 2007 volunteered for a bump from my CLT-RSW flight for $200 and first class seat to Sarasota, not so far up the road from RSW. Not bad for a 90 minute wait. They took my boarding pass and told me to sit tight until they finished boarding. I called Hertz (land before smart phones) and they changed my reservation. At the close of boarding, they called me back up and told me they didn't need me after all. Oh and my exit aisle became a middle seat in the process. I asked if I could stay on the Sarasota flight without the voucher since I had changed my car reservation and they told me no.

Not the worst day ever but as soon as you volunteer for a bump you are a supplicant in their eyes.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Fitch7600
I think you have to live through a bump gone bad before you can appreciate it. In 2007 volunteered for a bump from my CLT-RSW flight for $200 and first class seat to Sarasota, not so far up the road from RSW. Not bad for a 90 minute wait. They took my boarding pass and told me to sit tight until they finished boarding. I called Hertz (land before smart phones) and they changed my reservation. At the close of boarding, they called me back up and told me they didn't need me after all. Oh and my exit aisle became a middle seat in the process. I asked if I could stay on the Sarasota flight without the voucher since I had changed my car reservation and they told me no.

Not the worst day ever but as soon as you volunteer for a bump you are a supplicant in their eyes.
Most of the time they will not guarantee the bump until the end unless the flight is vastly oversold and has a history of few no shows (I was told by a GA DFW/PSP is one such flight).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
when you redeem a voucher on a future flight, does it accrue AA miles ?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
when you redeem a voucher on a future flight, does it accrue AA miles ?
Yes, the voucher is like cash.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
nothing ethically or morally questionable happening then
Talking the majority here, not everybody. And, those who did stray usually kept it quiet.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
When I book trips I usually try to book the fullest flights out early and back late hoping for a bump. It usually happens once in 15 times. So unless you have inside information from a employee it's probably not going to pay. Good luck

Last edited by jjmiller69; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
i think it would be easier, and more fun, to take the same amount of your ticket and place a blackjack bet in Nevada, better odds too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.