Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New award inventories & booking codes - *Reference chart*

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Just to add something here regarding U inventory. U is basically used on British Airways. BA uses U to upgrade as well as U for Business Class. It comes from the same inventory."

Same with Qantas. Qantas book upgrades into U and Z classes too

QF also use T class for additional economy award seating for QF Golds/Platinums. It seems that AA does not have access to this additional inventory for use by their sapphire/emerald level members

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:38 pm

hello all

i've been trying to book an award into U or Z on QF. i've found one using the QF FF website, but when i checked the galileo, it would not show U or Z as being available.

i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
Complete BS, in my experience. You can't sub-divide inventory into 'T-class for awards' and 'T-class for travel agents'. It's all just one inventory.
(My experience is 7 years as an AA agent, including 2 years on the AA EXP desk, though I'm not an AA employee now)
</font>
I would think this as well, but there can be many different types of a certain fare bucket, right? Such as the following for Q between RDU-TPA:

QE7D1N $205
QR26D $227 refundable, same as Southworst
QR7BIZN $279
Q14XENR $341
Q14WENR $381

Would it not be possible for QR26D to be upgradeable but QE7D1N not, per the individual fare rules? I could be wrong with regard to upgrading, but there can still be different types of 'T' fares with different rules from what I can see.

FYI, I used the fare finder on Travelocity to get that info above.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 9:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByeByeDelta:
Would it not be possible for QR26D to be upgradeable but QE7D1N not, per the individual fare rules? I could be wrong with regard to upgrading, but there can still be different types of 'T' fares with different rules from what I can see.

</font>
yes, the rules side of things can be sub-grouped but the inventory side cannot.

there can be different Q-based fare rules (QR26D, QE7D1N), but No, they do not book into separate Q-labeled booking inventories. A ticket under either rule would be allowed to book any seat available that is available for sale in Q..

Some F seats are sold to rule F26 and earn 150% mileage, but some F seats go to AAnytime awards and earn 0 mileage. Both the F fare payer and the AAnytime redeemer are equally entitled to book any open F-class inventory.

[This message has been edited by martin33 (edited 10-05-2003).]
Old Oct 5, 2003, 9:52 pm

Related though admittedly a bit off-topic -- but something I've always wanted to know --

What does "26" signify, in F26, Y26, and other high fares? Certainly it doesn't signify an advance purchase requirement (unlike the 21 in a N21 fare, etc.), since these unrestricted fares lack advance purchase requirements. So what does it mean? Any significance to the fact that some routes' highest fares is an F26 while others is just plane F?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
Related though admittedly a bit off-topic -- but something I've always wanted to know --

What does "26" signify, in F26, Y26, and other high fares? Certainly it doesn't signify an advance purchase requirement (unlike the 21 in a N21 fare, etc.), since these unrestricted fares lack advance purchase requirements. So what does it mean? Any significance to the fact that some routes' highest fares is an F26 while others is just plane F?
</font>
F26 and Y26 appeared as part of the doomed Value Pricing plan in the early 90's. The "old", even higher, F and Y fares weren't purged from the system at the time, they just got superseded.

I have no idea why the "26", nor why the distinction has persisted to this day...

Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
F26 and Y26 appeared as part of the doomed Value Pricing plan in the early 90's. The "old", even higher, F and Y fares weren't purged from the system at the time, they just got superseded.

I have no idea why the "26", nor why the distinction has persisted to this day...

</font>
I wonder if the 26 means that the fare is (or used to be, rather) applicable on Mondays (2) through Fridays (6). While now these fares have become completely unrestricted, I can see how these fares may have been initially launched as a "special" weekday unrestricted fare geared toward business travelers. Many times the day of week can be used in the fare basis code to quickly note the days or range of applicability.

I remember reading in the ARC manual about a standard for constructing fare basis codes, but the airlines currently don't even come close to following the structure prescribed in the manual.

Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RChavez:
I wonder if the 26 means that the fare is (or used to be, rather) applicable on Mondays (2) through Fridays (6). While now these fares have become completely unrestricted, I can see how these fares may have been initially launched as a "special" weekday unrestricted fare geared toward business travelers. Many times the day of week can be used in the fare basis code to quickly note the days or range of applicability.
</font>
great guess, but AA's timetable uses 2 for Tuesday and 6 for Saturday...

any ye olde tyme Sabre types out there??
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Well, being a not-so-olde SABRE type, I poked around here, and asked a friend of mine who's a domestic fares analyst. Well, he said that the 26 didn't really mean anything at all, as far as he knew. So he picked up the phone and called a friend of his over at AA revenue management. That person said the same thing, it didn't really mean anything, but couldn't remember if it had at one point.

So she asked one of her colleagues, who asked one of his, who asked one of his, who said the exact same thing that everyone else had said prior. Basically, it doesn't mean anything at all and is a way of differentiating a cheaper yet equally unrestricted fare from full Y.

They also said that the reason they kept Y around was to use as a construction fare when constructing discount or pro-rata fares like ID90 or AD75 fares, which at one point were always based off of full F/C/Y and not F/C/Y26 fares. The -26 fares were there for customers to purchase outright at a savings from full Y, but the full F/C/Y fares existed to increase the revenue generated from the discount/%-off fares.

Now granted, this is not official company line, but merely our own interpretation of their logic at the time. :-)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thumbs up Excellent tool for booking award seats!

777Brit, Over a year after you posted - but I wanted to recognize your efforts and thank you for them. Most useful! Especially when I received my TN LAX - PPT return tickets and the itinerary said "Coach" and the Class said "Z." Zulu it is... for Club Poerava / Business. (Of course, if this post bumps the thread for others to see...)

We'll quaff an ice cold Hinano in your name this Christmas holiday. TA.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:54 pm

Wow, what a great list. It does need a slight update, though. Swiss now uses the same award classes as AA. Economy I'm not 100% sure of - business however is now U and first is Z. (Once got an upgrade that way just when they switched over ...)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the LX update, f4free!

Maybe 777Brit will see this and edit the updates to his very useful chart. ^ In spite of the fact that he is pretty busy as a Moderator.

Originally Posted by f4free
Wow, what a great list. It does need a slight update, though. Swiss now uses the same award classes as AA. Economy I'm not 100% sure of - business however is now U and first is Z. (Once got an upgrade that way just when they switched over ...)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:37 pm

Question posted in error

posted in error

Last edited by jodenwlr; Sep 7, 2004 at 2:38 pm Reason: posted in error
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by 777Brit
The award code is AP145A.

This allows for First Class travel from North America to the South Pacific. It does seem quite a lot of miles for only a 8hrs 35 mins flight.

TN only has 6 F seats on their A340-300's, so maybe there's either no availability or the A-class seats are simply sold out.
So it's 145K miles for FC? Wow. That is a lot
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:49 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
777Brit, great job on the chart
just one quick side note, LX uses 'U' for Business class awards now.

Regards,

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.