Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You're SomeOne Special Program (SOS) - Discontinued [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then they could cash them in for free flights, gift certificates or merchandise.

d
Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Since I became an Elite I've had two opportunities that I've wanted to give out SOS's on but had to settle on profound thank yous.
The first was when I was flying DFW-STL, I was up front and we had a plane with about 85 people on it and the f/a's managed to great everyone individually and then made me feel very happy on the flight, they smiled the entire time as well.
The second was when I was at DCA and a woman was helping me check in at the E-kisok and I asked her how to get to the Metro, she not only told me how to get to the station, she gave me directions to my destination in the city and warned me of Anti-war protests.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Every time I find myself so satisfied with service I feel myself compelled to try and remember the names of crew members and other employees, I make it a point to go straight to aa.com and advise them of my positive experience. I didn't know about the SOS program but being in customer service myself for so long, I can appreciate what they have to do and what they have to encounter.

AA really doesn't look the other way. I have seen, for instance, certain flight attendants more than once, and I've asked them whether or not they've been contacted. One FA did tell me they got an email and I mentioned that it may've been because of me since I sent one after my last flight with her.

She was delighted and so was I.

It's important to me in these tough times to let them know how much I appreciate their work.

------------------
Best regards,
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:52 pm

It was very disheartening when they discontinued the program, It kind of busted morale a little bit, especially for those of us who really do our best and get little thanks..A lot of folks seemed to save their SOS cards for the F/A's only..I ran into PL and EP's occasionally that didnt know they could give the cards to us. They would say "this is all I have I dont know if you can use this, but thanks so much!" They were always appreciated.

I know most of you are very busy, Even if you didnt have time to write an email, but just handed me a handwritten "Thank You" on your business card..that would give me the same satisfaction. Fortunately I am lucky enough that my manager would make a copy of it and keep it in my file.
I truly work for some great people!

------------------
The opinions or information stated here is not officially endorsed by American Airlines, AMR corp or its subsidiaries
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:17 am

There have been several post over the demise of SOS.

It seems to me as creative as a bunch of FT'ers are, we should be able to come up with an idea or two.

Why doesn't Starbucks - or someone -- come up with a coupon for a free cup of coffee or something.

Maybe Randy can work out an arrangement.

It's one way to say thanks. Starbucks may like it, since it will help drive traffic.

Other ideas?

There's an idea out there waiting to be discovered on how to replace the SOS program with something the AA front line would appreciate.

Just my $.02.

------------------
TANSTAAFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:22 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CFM3RD:
There have been several post over the demise of SOS.

It seems to me as creative as a bunch of FT'ers are, we should be able to come up with an idea or two.

Why doesn't Starbucks - or someone -- come up with a coupon for a free cup of coffee or something.

Maybe Randy can work out an arrangement.

It's one way to say thanks. Starbucks may like it, since it will help drive traffic.

Other ideas?

There's an idea out there waiting to be discovered on how to replace the SOS program with something the AA front line would appreciate.

Just my $.02.

</font>
Starbucks does sell $5 giftcards. You could always buy one of those.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:03 pm

most of my sos cards went to counter agents and people at cto's more so than flight attendants. those are the folks that typically did something out of the way for me.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:11 pm

According to a friend who works at AA (many of you probably know him, he works the FC check-in at ORD and has been there for many years) The program cost AA over 2 million dollars a year to run. It was definitely a great program, and the rewards to an employee who received SOS's were not bad at all. (they could fly first class to europe on personal trips, etc.)

Unfortunately, the program got the axe late last year and the deadline for SOS's to be used / turned in was Jan 31. (I think)

I definitely make it a point to write in whenever I get great service from someone. It's not as good as the SOS program, but it's the best anyone can do right now.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAchick:
I know most of you are very busy, Even if you didnt have time to write an email, but just handed me a handwritten "Thank You" on your business card..that would give me the same satisfaction. Fortunately I am lucky enough that my manager would make a copy of it and keep it in my file.

</font>
Thanks for the Idea AAchick. Being a lowly peon (cardboard non-elite) I will hand out my business card with the Thank You to those who go above and beyond. May the recipients have bosses who will recognize the value like yours does.

Old Mar 22, 2003, 9:55 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAchick:
It was very disheartening when they discontinued the program, It kind of busted morale a little bit, especially for those of us who really do our best and get little thanks..A lot of folks seemed to save their SOS cards for the F/A's only..I ran into PL and EP's occasionally that didnt know they could give the cards to us. They would say "this is all I have I dont know if you can use this, but thanks so much!" They were always appreciated.

</font>

that is a very clever suggestion re the business card-- I'll try it out next time I have a smooth go at the ticket counter.

Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:30 pm
howellajohnson

No more SOS - Try Email - It really works!

On Monday, 4/21 I sent an email to aa.com regarding the truly exceptional FAs I had on my JFK GIG flight.

Every request was either anticipated or greeted with a smile. The meal service was orchestrated with the precision and grace of synchronized swimmers.

On Wednesday, 4/24, I was pleased to receive the following response:

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed the service on your flight from New York to Rio de Janeiro on April 15.

Our flight attendants take great pride in providing our customers with excellent service, and we have taken real
pleasure in recognizing the fine efforts of the crew members who traveled with you.

Please travel with us again soon. We're looking forward to having you aboard.

We invite you to contact us again about any aspect pertaining to your experiences with
us.

Please do so via AA.com at
http://www.aa.com/customerrelations.

We'll receive your comments without delay and be back to you within a few days.

More Room Throughout Coach, only on American Airlines

Sincerely,

Customer Relations
American Airlines

Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K 2.9MM HH Diamond, BonVoy GLD Life
I will say they are responsive, and it is a good thing. I really hope they get to recognize their FA's when they are praised. I miss the SOS because you could see the person you gave it to really appreciate you.

Flights to Brazil are generally staffed with dedicated FA's who will take care of you and enjoy their work. Watch out for US-Argentina flights (JFK-EZE, MIA-EZE). I have had some of the worst service I ever encountered. The FA's in these routes are rude, condescending, "chip-on-the-shoulder" brutes. Quite a few of them a re Argentinian, so that explains it.

------------------
Do not sit in the back.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
I have used the email option successfully, also. I request they confirm that the compliment has been placed in the employee's file, and they do respond using the names, so it is not simply a form reply. Much easier than generating a letter.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Are Argentinians always rude?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:53 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
Are Argentinians always rude?</font>
No, that's New Yorkers you're thinking of, dummy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.